New sitcom featuring Summer Wine stars...

Nicko12345

Dedicated Member
Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere on the board but the new sitcom `Boomers` (the pilot was called Grey Mates I believe) starts tomorrow on BBC One. It stars many TV stalwarts including Russ Abbot, June Whitfield and Philip Jackson (along with Alison Steadman, Stephanie Beacham, Paula Wilcox etc.). Perhaps intended to be a replacement for Summer Wine in some ways and certainly aiming to appeal to the silver generation. It has a great cast so will be worth a look.

On a semi-related note, I always felt that bringing Philip Jackson back to Summer Wine as Gordon could have been a great move if he`d been available.

Thank you for that, I'll have look at it. Phillip Jackson would have been a great regular and wish he'd been back too.

Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere on the board but the new sitcom `Boomers` (the pilot was called Grey Mates I believe) starts tomorrow on BBC One. It stars many TV stalwarts including Russ Abbot, June Whitfield and Philip Jackson (along with Alison Steadman, Stephanie Beacham, Paula Wilcox etc.). Perhaps intended to be a replacement for Summer Wine in some ways and certainly aiming to appeal to the silver generation. It has a great cast so will be worth a look.

On a semi-related note, I always felt that bringing Philip Jackson back to Summer Wine as Gordon could have been a great move if he`d been available.

Just to let you know that the show is set in Norfolk but was actually filmed in Kent. I would not like anyone to be deceived by it.

Are you saying that Gordon and Japp are played by the same actor?

Absolutely.

Philip Jackson started out in Porridge and since then has appeared in pretty much everything (including bizarrely A-ha`s pop video for Take On Me!).

I would love to know if Alan Bell ever contacted him to ask whether he would be willing to reprise his role as Gordon. Particularly in the post-Comp years...

Just to let you know that the show is set in Norfolk but was actually filmed in Kent. I would not like anyone to be deceived by it.

A bit of reversal on Dad's Army - set on the South Coast but filmed in Suffolk I believe.

Last edited:

A possible attempt to fill in Summer Wine's void? I am curious. Does Alan Bell or Roy Clarke have anything to do with this?

If successful, it might be the kind of show American Public Television purchases.

Far, far from impressed. Word that comes to mind is underwhelmed.

I am intrigued. I was sure I posted this last evening all in upper-case for emphasis (is it allowed to put underwhelmed in upper-case?) but it came out as shown. Also note we have a bigger selection of smilies this morning than of late. But maybe that is because I have been playing around with Google Chrome of late (unsuccessfully) and have now reverted to Internet Explorer.

??? ??? ??? ???​

After that brief aside a brief comment on the episode.

Cannot say I was impressed with the script/plot.

As far as cast is concerned, in general the men were fine. I cannot recall having seen James Smith (Trevor) before. I thought Russ Abbot acted the part of John. In contrast, in his two series of LOTSW he played himself. Guest actor, Nigel Planer, added to the show. I suppose the only part I really appreciated was the pub scene.

I am afraid Stephanie Beecham and Alison Steadman just played themselves. Alison Steadman's Joyce was straight out of 'Gavin and Stacey' (Pamela). I did appreciate Paula Wilcox as Carol and was struck by how long it has been since I last saw her.

Verdict is that this show can only improve.

Absolutely.

Philip Jackson started out in Porridge and since then has appeared in pretty much everything (including bizarrely A-ha`s pop video for Take On Me!).

I would love to know if Alan Bell ever contacted him to ask whether he would be willing to reprise his role as Gordon. Particularly in the post-Comp years...

Well, knock me over with a feather! Yes, I see it now . . . those eyes, ey? It's just that the whole face, head expanded so, lol. Love him as Japp!

I have to say unlike Unc. I thought it was ok. Not brilliant but ok. I will watch again.

Oh, I will go along with OK - enough to watch next episode - but only just. And I will not be keeping my recording in order to watch that episode again.

A possible attempt to fill in Summer Wine's void? I am curious. Does Alan Bell or Roy Clarke have anything to do with this?

If successful, it might be the kind of show American Public Television purchases.

No link to Alan Bell or Roy Clarke.

I meant because the absence of Summer Wine (and As Time Goes By I suppose) has left a silver coloured hole in the TV schedules. It makes sense for the BBC to try to appeal to that specific demographic with at least one show.

I quite enjoyed it and will see how it develops liked Alison Steadman and Gordon think that they will jel as it goes on.

Dads Army was also filmed in Norfolk. Mainly around the Thetford area.

Thanks for the correction - I could have checked but my comedy library is down a flight of steps. Actually most things in this place are either up or down a flight of steps!

I missed it last week but have just watched this weeks, to be honest not the best BUT and I mean a big BUT when I first heard that Russ Abbott was in it I thought " Oh dear :(" Not being a fan but as it turned out he was the funniest of them all, in my opinion.

I usually like Alison Steadman but I don't think she has the best part in this one so I was a bit disappointed there. I will watch next week to see how it goes, I have to admit it is good to see some old familiar faces.

Back