New to the forum. Going to Holmfirth on Friday :)

Hello all. My name's Sarah! I'm 35 and grew up watching LOTSW. My partner bought me all of the series on DVD a few years ago. My favourite series have to be the earlier ones. Might be blasphemous for some, but I couldn't watch it after the "core" group left - sorry! My favourite combo has got to be Compo, Clegg and Foggy, but I do like Blamire too.

My partner and I, as well as my elderly mum (whom I'm a full-time carer for) are all going to Holmfirth this coming Friday and staying overnight, for the LOTSW 50th Anniversary events. We thought it'd be lark if we all dressed up in scruffy blazers and wellies. We'll be a funny looking group but if some of you will be there, no doubt, feel free to say "How 'do!" XD
We'll be going to the picnic and just out and about. Will have to see how much we can manage, as my mum gets tired easily.

I was disappointed to learn that the LOTSW tour by bus is closed, until further notice... I wonder if anyone knows of a map with the more well-known locations used in filming? We should like to go around and see them for ourselves, if we can.

Many thanks!

Hello all. My name's Sarah! I'm 35 and grew up watching LOTSW. My partner bought me all of the series on DVD a few years ago. My favourite series have to be the earlier ones. Might be blasphemous for some, but I couldn't watch it after the "core" group left - sorry! My favourite combo has got to be Compo, Clegg and Foggy, but I do like Blamire too.

My partner and I, as well as my elderly mum (whom I'm a full-time carer for) are all going to Holmfirth this coming Friday and staying overnight, for the LOTSW 50th Anniversary events. We thought it'd be lark if we all dressed up in scruffy blazers and wellies. We'll be a funny looking group but if some of you will be there, no doubt, feel free to say "How 'do!" XD
We'll be going to the picnic and just out and about. Will have to see how much we can manage, as my mum gets tired easily.

I was disappointed to learn that the LOTSW tour by bus is closed, until further notice... I wonder if anyone knows of a map with the more well-known locations used in filming? We should like to go around and see them for ourselves, if we can.

Many thanks!

Many thanks!
Welcome to the forum Sarah, it's lovely to have you with us. Not really sure what the picnic will be like, but the land was overgrown but it's been cut right down last weekend, there is no benches but feel free to bring a picnic rug should you wish! I'm guessing it'll be more of a get together for a short time with the Summer Winos as they will be recording for their video. Also we can enjoy the amazing views and have a bit of a natter

Barry might be a good idea if you have a postcode to help people find the place, ot a nearby postcode

Thank you kindly Graham, maltrab and Barry. And thank you maltrab for the map!

Yes, we'll bring a rug and some provisions. :) I'm looking forward to the views.

The only other places I've visited from beloved TV shows are:
Short stays in Rye from the 80's series Mapp and Lucia (went there twice. Love it!) And a brief visit to Hadfield which was where they filmed The League of Gentlemen. Now I can add Holmfirth to the list, from Friday all going well... :)

Barry might be a good idea if you have a postcode to help people find the place, ot a nearby postcode
Drew from the Winos has already pre-empted me on this one and is adding details on the website. I've attached the link below, for those familiar with what3words, it will pinpoint the exact location. But remember to access the land via Intake Lane, as Scaly Gate is closed and unless you've a really hardcore SUV you won't get up Hirst Lane

Drew from the Winos has already pre-empted me on this one and is adding details on the website. I've attached the link below, for those familiar with what3words, it will pinpoint the exact location. But remember to access the land via Intake Lane, as Scaly Gate is closed and unless you've a really hardcore SUV you won't get up Hirst Lane

Yes I have made that mistake with access

Welcome to the forum Sarah! That's so cool that you're going to the event and what you're planning to wear sounds awesome! I'm not going to be there because I'm in America and can't travel at the moment, but I'm happy for everyone that is going! I bet you guys are going to have the best time!

Hello and Welcome to the forum Sarah :) I hope you enjoy your time on here and looking forward to your posts . Terry's[Maltrab] map is great to browse but will be invaluable if you decide to visit the locations over the weekend . Oh by the way Orange you glad you found the forum and joined :tw::fp:

Thanks kindly, everyone. Currently resting our weary legs in a cosy bed, in a B&B in Honley.

It was great going around Holmfirth, today!!

Really would have liked to have joined in on the pub crawl (partner and I don't drink - but could've managed a pint of Diet Coke, each!) But my mum - who is 78! - found today taxing enough, although she said she really enjoyed herself.

Not going to be able to go to the Flower Power brunch tomorrow either, sadly, but will have a walk around the town and an early lunch before setting back off home. (Shh, don't tell anyone we're from Lancashire!)

Back