Nostalgia and getting older.

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
I wasn't sure what to call this or whether to tack it on to one of the other threads ::)
I had a tooth extracted yesterday (paid £49 for the privilege) This morning I was brushing my teeth and muttered to myself " Gently Bentley!"( I had been told to take it steady with brushing for a couple of days) This took me back to the early radio shows we used to listen to . ;) Jimmy Edwards did one with Dick Bentley and June Whitfield doing OOOOOH RON ,OOOOH ETH (like Howard and Marina) and one of the phrases often used was Gently Bentley! Bit of a ramble I know but leads me to ask does anyone use old catchphrases etc in their daily endeavors?? ::)

NHS again?? I am so very jealous.

I am having an old crown replaced for a mere
$850!!
If I'd known it would get you so excited Chuck I'd never have mentioned the cost!! ::) Just a longwinded way to ask my question. ;)

I Use "Sorry Pardon" Lieutenant Phillips from the Navy Lark and also "left hand down a bit"

I Use "Sorry Pardon" Lieutenant Phillips from the Navy Lark and also "left hand down a bit"
Remember them well and the John Pertwee character's version of "Sir Todhunter Willoughby Brown" :p :p (Sir Widdleby Toddleby)

"I heard that. pardon" was used in a sit com some years ago set up north. The guy who said it used carry his gas mask in a box round his neck all the time. Cant think what it was called. But I am sure someone can.

Programme was called " I Didn't Know You Cared" The old guy was Uncle Staveley and in the gasmask case were the ashes of one of his dead comrades from the war.It was the story of the Brandon extended family .Another great character was Uncle Mort and also grandson Carter.

Uncle Mort was played by Robin Bailey ,whom I had the great fortune to see sometimes when he came to visit his relatives who lived in the village where I lived when I was younger. :D

Its a bit before my time as I was born in 1947 but there is "Can I do you now Sir " from ITMA (Its that man again) a war time wireless series, and more recently Kenneth Williams from Round the Horn "I Think the answer lies in the Soil"

I was born in 1944 but as far as I know "Can I Do You Now Sir?" was from the cleaning lady. ;D

Yes I believe that is correct, their were several characters in the show and she was one of them. I think the Star as it were was Tommy Handley and ITMA was the name of the show.

Uncle Mort was played by Robin Bailey ,whom I had the great fortune to see sometimes when he came to visit his relatives who lived in the village where I lived when I was younger. :D

How cool, I loved that show. I watched the entire run. The Uncle Mort character was simply great.

Thanks Dick I remember now. I think Carters girlfriend was in lotsw. She spent a lot of time crying cant remember the name of the episode.

Back