Parents

George

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As trivial as it is,I was just thinking (something I don't do too often - that's normally my wifes area of expertise)Anyway I can't remember a time in LOTSW when any of the main characters mentioned their fathers except maybe Barry in 'the Miraculous curing of old Goff Helliwell'.
I'd like to know if anyone can remember any occasions when dads have been mentioned..

Cleggy mentioned his father when he told Compo (If I remember right) that he smelled of musty hymn books.
I don't think Foggy knew his father and we know that Compo did not.

It seems that the characters referred to their mothers on a more frequent basis.

Cleggy and Compo discussed Compo's mother (she wore brown boots :D)
Nora mentioned Wally's mother, Pearl mentioned Howard's. Sid talk about Ivy's as did Ivy herself.
I think it refers to that with parents of that generation the mother was in charge of the children and would have far more contact with them than the father.

I think you are right there Stewpot, I find myself talking more about my mother than my father. B ut then more often than not fathers tend tend do die first so you have more time with your mother as in my case.

I think the one with the hymn books was Cleggy´s brother-in-law.

Well, maybe I misunderstood the scene (whatever episode it was), I can´t guarantee for my English ;).
LOL, George, that´s true!
Okay, found the scene, of course it was "Uncle of the Bride", and Seymour says: "... had it become common knowledge that Utterthwaite had a brother-in-law who reeked of Diesel", and Cleggy replies: "Mine smelled of musty hymn books." Chapel minister? I thought he was a painter or something like that, I must have got this pretty wrong then... But no, I don´t think I have, there even was a scene in FOTSW with him in his painter´s clothes, actually painting a wall or ceiling. What the heck did I see and hear then? ???

No, i also don't think Cleggs dad was a minister.
In FOTSW, he was indeed a painter and decorator and i don't recall religion being to prominent in the Clegg household of 1938.

G ; )

What BluprintZ said.....You are right ****, Cleggy's father (played by Mr Sallis) in First of the Summer Wine was a painter.

He used the left over paint to paint the garden gate every day

Back
Top Bottom