PBS Chicago LotSW Advert

David Piper

Dedicated Member
This is the Summer Wine series advert that aired on onetime Public Television station WYCC. This ad probably would have aired on every PBS station throughout the United States, but with a tagged on local I.D. voiceover. I remember ads like this for my area's PBS station, which included--and still does--an ad for Keeping Up Appearances, among other shows.

I grew up across the river in St. Louis, but at the time the main British feature on PBS was Fawlty Towers. Any idea what year this was? I am trying to figure out when LOTSW started airing in America, it probably depends which affiliate station you had.
Its a good add. The voice over has the American imitation of a British newscaster voice which might attract Monty Python fans, I think the second joke with Compo was probably targeting Benny Hill fans, and the last one with Howard trying to draw in Beatles fans. I suppose they introduced Clegg by name because everyone over here probably knew the Pink Floyd song Corporal Clegg.
Comparing advertising and trailers for TV and movies in different countries is really interesting in the elements they choose to draw their local audiences.

In my area of the US, for the past 15 years or so, the Saturday evening lineup consisted of Are You Being Served, The Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances, and As Time Goes By. It's changed since (Still Open All Hours leads off the schedule now).

There used to be a rotating, short-lived show to replace one of the perennials. After the replacement finished, what it replaced would once again be be brought back to its old time slot. This is how I discovered personal favorite The Old Guys and To the Manor Born, which aired a few times over the years. I think Fawlty Towers was among those rotating programs, though I couldn't say when.

When I was a teenager decades ago, LotSW aired on our PBS station during the early afternoon hours. That was also when I happened upon Open All Hours (which I adored) and Brush Strokes, a program I haven't seen since, but I enjoyed that, too.

There's something unique about spending those quiet midday doldrums--which were often as still as a surrealist painting--and watching Open All Hours, the opening of which also brings to mind the stillness of a painting.

But I digress, obviously.

Some wonderful shows there David, I'd be interested to hear what you make of Keeping Up Apprearances as a purveyor of fine vintage British comedy. More of Roy Clarkes amazing writing, for me KUA probably edges LOTSW for me?

Not too many decades David, I think I'm about three years older than you, but that's how I remember it too. Unfortunately, I didn't cross paths with LOTSW till later, in my 30's. Growing up I wasn't allowed to watch TV in the afternoon except Saturday and that of course was Godzilla, Gamera, and Ma and Pa Kettle.
Your right, The Old Guys is a great show.

Barry, I know you didn't ask me but here is my two penneth anyway. I love KUA, but for me I don't find it as rewatchable as LOTSW. It was much more predictable and relied a lot on running gags and repetitive situations. The characters are wonderfully written though. When I first saw KUA I watched it with absolute fascination because I knew a woman just like Hyacinth. She even looked and dressed like her.

RE: Keeping Up Appearances

Haven't watched it in 10 years, but I really liked it. Yes, KUA has a rarely-changing template, but the actors make every episode worthwhile. The only character I didn't care for was Hyacinth's "daddy." He was silly, even by KUA standards.

My wife didn't like the vicar's wife (brilliantly played by Marion Barron), and because of that, the show was even funnier for it!

There was only one episode of KUA I haven't seen. IIRC, it has a scene where Hyacinth plays piano at some sort of social function at the church hall. I don't know which series or episode it is.

Onslow and Daisy are my favorite characters. Clive Swift is forever a hero to me, by virtue of his role as Richard and even more so as "Roy Bowden" in The Old Guys. Even though there were only 12 episodes, I quote dialogue from that program in so many situations in my daily routine, not that anyone notices. I can't believe that show isn't well regarded.

Judy Cornwell (Daisy) sure was gorgeous in her younger day:
BB6E3A57-5895-4AAC-ADF9-C43F928DE0DC.png

Attachments

• FE5CCC09-CC76-4C9C-8A8D-0E5937A233A8.png
    FE5CCC09-CC76-4C9C-8A8D-0E5937A233A8.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 2
RE: Keeping Up Appearances

Haven't watched it in 10 years, but I really liked it. Yes, KUA has a rarely-changing template, but the actors make every episode worthwhile. The only character I didn't care for was Hyacinth's "daddy." He was silly, even by KUA standards.

My wife didn't like the vicar's wife (brilliantly played by Marion Barron), and because of that, the show was even funnier for it!

There was only one episode of KUA I haven't seen. IIRC, it has a scene where Hyacinth plays piano at some sort of social function at the church hall. I don't know which series or episode it is.

Onslow and Daisy are my favorite characters. Clive Swift is forever a hero to me, by virtue of his role as Richard and even more so as "Roy Bowden" in The Old Guys. Even though there were only 12 episodes, I quote dialogue from that program in so many situations in my daily routine, not that anyone notices. I can't believe that show isn't well regarded.

Judy Cornwell (Daisy) sure was gorgeous in her younger day:
While Hyacinth is the lead character, I personally think Richard adds so much to the show. He fits perfectly as one of Roy Clarke's hen-pecked husbands.

I appreciate and respect Open All Hours as a classic comedy, but I actually enjoy Still Open All Hours more. I prefer the earlier seasons with the emphasis more on Gastric and Madge and I do the later ones focusing more on Mrs. Featherstone and Mr. Newbold.

I appreciate and respect Open All Hours as a classic comedy, but I actually enjoy Still Open All Hours more. I prefer the earlier seasons with the emphasis more on Gastric and Madge and I do the later ones focusing more on Mrs. Featherstone and Mr. Newbold.
Thats really interesting i love the original open all hours i wasnt around when it was first broadcast i first watched it in the 90s as a kid i watched one or two of the new one and didn't like it at all i didn't like what they did to Granville it didn't ring true for me

Thank you all who've given an opinion! I actually found the series better as it went on. Hyacinth was quite a dislikeable character in the first series and I never took to the original Rose. @Eithne I see what you mean, many late nan had traits of Hyacinth, I think we all know someone like her!

@David Piper the episode you're referring to I think is The Boyfriend you can find it easily online. My favorite has to be The Rolls Royce it's so funny when they get caught nicking the car at the end!

Another interesting fact is none of the episodes were ever given titles when broadcast, they were simply named later.

Thats really interesting i love the original open all hours i wasnt around when it was first broadcast i first watched it in the 90s as a kid i watched one or two of the new one and didn't like it at all i didn't like what they did to Granville it didn't ring true for me
For me "Still Open All Hours" has that "Summer Wine Land" feel to it, sort of that sense of escapism found in Summer Wine's later years.

It's amazing.

I have all the episodes of LOTSW on DVD, so I shouldn't need to see a trailer for LOTSW.

Yet the trailers for LOTSW still have appeal and interest, and make we want to watch something that I already have easy access to.

Who says advertising doesn't work?

It's amazing.

I have all the episodes of LOTSW on DVD, so I shouldn't need to see a trailer for LOTSW.

Yet the trailers for LOTSW still have appeal and interest, and make we want to watch something that I already have easy access to.

Who says advertising doesn't work?
Completely agree, that trailer is brilliant, really showcases just how funny the series can be. I remember I had a promotional DVD many years ago advertising BBC comedies, and the for LOTSW featuring The Loxley Lozzenge was hilarious.

Seventh Heaven, each of those are in my top 5
Spending every Saturday night with the characters from those programs was something my wife and I always looked forward to doing. I haven't watched The Vicar of Dibley in ages, but we regularly use David Horton's (Gary Waldhorn) "Moving on..." whenever we mockingly change the subject!

Oh, and Dawn French falling into that bottomless puddle? Genius!

We must have As Time Goes By's episodes and dialogue committed to memory by now. As much as I adore the show, Jean and Judy must be considered among the worst-dressed characters in TV history. It also boggles the mind that Jean would, after the death of her husband, revert to her maiden name, which is made all the more bizarre by the fact that she loved him. Bob Larbey, you have much to answer for. :16:

Last edited:
Our PBS doesn't like British comedy. There's an episode of Still Open All Hours on Saturday & Tuesday nights (same episode), but that's it, they play dramas during non-musical entertainment hours. For years they only had Are You Being Served. They never had LotSW.

Our PBS doesn't like British comedy. There's an episode of Still Open All Hours on Saturday & Tuesday nights (same episode), but that's it, they play dramas during non-musical entertainment hours. For years they only had Are You Being Served. They never had LotSW.
Sadly, my PBS has apparently DUMPED BritWit except for OAH and SOAH. They seem to run an Australian horse opera a lot.

Back