Peter Bowles RIP

Whilst clearly a versatile actor I always perceive him as an upper class character almost Cad like in the style of Leslie Philips or Cardew Robinson a role he fulfilled many times . I was not a great To the Manor Born fan I much preferred him as the upper class hypochondriac Archie in Only when I Laugh where he played opposite staunch left wing commoner Figgis played by James Bolam both living in fear of their illness played on by the Doctor played by Richard [I don't believe it ] Wilson . A very sad loss.

Whilst clearly a versatile actor I always perceive him as an upper class character almost Cad like in the style of Leslie Philips or Cardew Robinson a role he fulfilled many times . I was not a great To the Manor Born fan I much preferred him as the upper class hypochondriac Archie in Only when I Laugh where he played opposite staunch left wing commoner Figgis played by James Bolam both living in fear of their illness played on by the Doctor played by Richard [I don't believe it ] Wilson . A very sad loss.
I liked him in the Irish RM. An upper class role again but a likable, kindly character, especially towards his household staff who invariably took advantage of his soft nature and ran rings around him.
Rest in Peace.

A very sad loss indeed, absolutely brilliant in his shows.

Fans of him may not be familiar with his other massive hit - The Bounder - which featured George Cole, and was written by the same writer as Only When I Laugh and Rising Damp.

RIP Peter, and thanks for all the laughs.

He appeared with Penelope Keith for the second time in Executive Stress (series 2 and 3).

How is the Executive Stress series @wstol ? I keep seeing deals on the dvd's and seriously thinking of getting it. I see Geoffrey Palmer is in it as well. Thought he did a great job in As Time Goes By.

Back