Question about Glenda

Jack Ward

First off, I just recently discovered this board and have enjoyed reading the messages!
I noticed that on several occasions Glenda refers to Nora as Mrs. Batty (which is proper), but I've never heard her actually call Ivy or Pearl by any name.
Has she ever mentioned their names (first or last)?
Strange to focus on that but it came after a discussion I had with someone about younger people using first names instead of Mr. or Mrs.
Anyway, thanks for any help.
-Jack

First off, I just recently discovered this board and have enjoyed reading the messages!
I noticed that on several occasions Glenda refers to Nora as Mrs. Batty (which is proper), but I've never heard her actually call Ivy or Pearl by any name.
Strange to focus on that but it came after a discussion I had with someone about younger people using first names instead of Mr. or Mrs.
-Jack

Welcome aboard our little forum, which is full of total Barmpots, interesting question I will have to pay more attention to this subject matter in future

Not sure that Ivy ever had a last name in the show.

Pearl was Sibshaw only because that was Howard's last name.
Not sure it was ever used in the show.

If Pearl and Ivy had only married the Polish Airmen they met [allegedly] during the war then I don't think any of us would be able to pronounce their surnames but they would score highly at Scrabble !

I seem to recall Glenda using Pearl's first name - though whether it was to her face or about her, I can't be sure. I'll have to watch for that. I don't remember her ever using Ivy's name.

Not sure that Ivy ever had a last name in the show.

Pearl was Sibshaw only because that was Howard's last name.
Not sure it was ever used in the show.
Sibshaw was first used in a novel - probably The Moonbather but might have been the other one entitled Gala Week. Tes etwo were subtitled Sumemr Wine Chronicles and featured the Seymour, Clegg and Compo line up.

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the forums. Sorry I cannot help answer your Glenda question at the moment.

Cheers,
Rick

-Jack
Calling your elders by their last name is a normal mark of respect in Yorkshire. Barry always called Wesley, Mr. Pegden. People in Yorkshire were always very circumspect and very respectful.

At one of my first jobs everyone was referred to by Surname only , at the time it used to anger me intensely and it still rankles with me now , this was supposed to be " a grown up world " yet here we were almost back in school where addressing someone by their Surname was the accepted norm . It was a mixed working environment and I always felt it was particularly insulting to female members of staff , needless to say I did not stick around for long .:thumbsdown:

I am a RICHARD. Over the years I have answered to every variation of it. I did notice though, that the further up the corporate ladder one looked, the Richard was more formally spoken and anyone below foreman it was always Dick .They still knew where to ask for favours etcetera. One CEO still owes me a fiver because I organised a late evening lorry offload!:thumbsdown::cautious:

In my first job it was always Mr , then as a teacher likewise.

It was during the currency of Only Fools and Horses that my name tended to get shortened to Rod. The phrase "Rodney you plonker" being one often attributed to myslef.

Originally on Radio comedy such as Beyond Our Ken (I think) there was a little routine with

"Hello Rodney"
"Hello Charles"

spken in very precise tones reminicent of Received Pronounciation.

Since then I have been called Rob, Roy, Ron as well as Tom!

About the only person to call me Rodney is a Bishop at a licensing service - which is as formal as a Wedding or Baptism really so only to be expected.

When young (a long time ago) I was mostly called , Oi you and knew my place since then I have been called many things and close my ears to the rudest .​

Back before I retired from my office, I always addressed my husband on the phone as Dear or Dearie. One day the men in the office pointedly asked me about his actual name. For some reason, they needed an actual name.

I am a RICHARD. Over the years I have answered to every variation of it. I did notice though, that the further up the corporate ladder one looked, the Richard was more formally spoken and anyone below foreman it was always Dick .They still knew where to ask for favours etcetera. One CEO still owes me a fiver because I organised a late evening lorry offload!:thumbsdown::cautious:
Have you ever noticed that plumbers, HVAC men, mechanics, and other service types ALWAYS only have their first name on their uniforms. And a lot of times it's a nickname like Bubba.

Captain, going by your description it almost sounds like your first job might have been at Grace Brothers Department Store ;).

Grace Brothers did at least use the Mr/Mrs/Mr prefix to the persons surname , it was actually an office with an array of ages in respect of the staff modern in its appearance and equipment but positively draconian in their attitude to people . I was only a whippersnapper but found the practice insulting especially to the ladies imagine how say a mature lady would feel when a wet behind the ears lad like myself could not extend the common courtesy of calling her either Mrs , Miss or Ms let alone her Christian name, if the lady was comfortable with someone using that . I just detested my time there .

Back