Question about Glenda

When I was at ashcool on into my first working environments it was always surnames, never first names. In fact we did not always even know what those intials stood for. At school I recall Dr P V French, Mr P M Grinham - my biology teachrs and Mr P Booth my biology tutor. Spent hours working out what they represented. Never actually sure what Mr S A moore stood for, he was a form tutor and my Russian teacher as well.

Some of my colleagues in the menswear shop in the 1960s - Messrs Figg, Finn and others - never knew their first names at all.

There were some less coy such as Bert Surridge, Sid Meerloo but Mr Roberts was not even really Mr Roberts! I was never addressed by my first name although sometiems as "young fellah" as that was considered, in those days as more relaxed.

In my first teaching job in a boarding school everyone was just a surname, and if there was more than one boy of the same name it was Jones II or Jones III. Some of the staff referred to me, a junior master just by my surname. It seemed to be the style then.

So when I returned to teaching in 1991, howbeit in a college I was most surprised to find that the students all referred to staff by their first names! Whn I taught in a Senior High School in the 1970s I am not sure how many actually knew what the R W stood for. Not even sure soem of the other teachers knew either!

Different cultures for different ages.

I had forgotten about Sibshaw.
I worked at a hospital in the 80's and it was common to address everyone by Mr. or Mrs.
Whenever I've watched Are You Being Served? I always think of the old doctor who ran that little hospital whenever Young Mr. Grace is on screen.
I do remember Glenda calling Compo Mr. Simmonite (hope I spelled that right).
I took some classes a few years back and the teacher said to call her by her first name but that just wasn't something I could ever do.

Would you dare address the ladies by their first names even Mrs Baty is pushing it I think I would bow first and beg her attention !

First off, I just recently discovered this board and have enjoyed reading the messages!
I noticed that on several occasions Glenda refers to Nora as Mrs. Batty (which is proper), but I've never heard her actually call Ivy or Pearl by any name.
Has she ever mentioned their names (first or last)?
Strange to focus on that but it came after a discussion I had with someone about younger people using first names instead of Mr. or Mrs.
Anyway, thanks for any help.
-Jack

I just heard Glenda speak to Pearl in "Errol Flynn Used to Have a Pair Like That" (season 14). They were having coffee morning in the café and she said, "What does your husband do for a hobby, Pearl? Don't you worry about him." Since we rarely hear Howard or Pearl's last name spoken, I guess it's not too surprising.

I just heard Glenda speak to Pearl in "Errol Flynn Used to Have a Pair Like That" (season 14). They were having coffee morning in the café and she said, "What does your husband do for a hobby, Pearl? Don't you worry about him." Since we rarely hear Howard or Pearl's last name spoken, I guess it's not too surprising.

I perceive Pearl (and Howard) as somewhat younger than Edie, Nora, Ivy, et al. Perhaps enough younger so that Glenda could address Pearl by her first name without discourtesy.

Going by FOTSW, Ivy, Cleggy, Compo, Foggy, Seymour, Wally, and Nora
were at about the same age. Guessing Edie and Wesley older, and
Glenda and Barry younger. From housing and lifestyle, guess Pearl and
Howard and Mariina at about Cleggy's age.

Back