R.I.P. Eric Sykes

Sad news indeed.The man was a comedy legend in his own life time,will be much missed.

Hector

This is very sad, I loved him with Hattie Jakes. He was one of the last greats that I grow up watching. He'll very much missed.

I read recently that he part wrote 'Educating Archie' which I listened to as a girl with my head pressed up against the radio/wireless if the batteries were flat. Watching my grandsons with their ears pressed up against their I-pods, things seem to have gone full circle.

All the more poignant is the fact that for much of his working life he was profoundly deaf ! To have people remember him for his comedy despite the problem speaks volumes for his professionalism!! ;)

Thanks for telling us about it as I didn't hear about it. I have the 4 silent comedy hours he did which were hilarious. One called The Plank. He will be greatly missed....RIP

Will we ever see his like again? Where have all his ilk gone? Can anyone think if a genuine current comedian or comic actor who combines true humour, subtlety and wit whilst totally eschewing crudity and foul language.
The last of all the Romans, fare thee well!
It is impossible that ever Rome
Should breed thy fellow

His life was gentle, and the elements
So mixed in him that Nature might stand up
And say to all the world, "This was a man!"

Will we ever see his like again? Where have all his ilk gone? Can anyone think if a genuine current comedian or comic actor who combines true humour, subtlety and wit whilst totally eschewing crudity and foul language.
Should breed thy fellow

Big Unc that was beautifully said and I applaud you.
Your right of cause there is no one around today of that ilk and its a sad shame.

Sad to hear of his passing, though I've only seen him in a couple things, The Plank, Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies and his Summer Wine appearance. Reading through this thread, it looks like he was regarded in the same way Andy Griffith was (american actor) whom we lost yesterday.

RIP..

Very sad news.

One of the nicest people in comedy. He was always determined to make shows the whole family could enjoy, he didn't swear and was always funny. That is the secret for good comedy.

He was one of the last of the great comedy stars from the golden age.

He will always be remembered for The Plank, and his association with Tommy Cooper and Hattie Jacques.

Should breed thy fellow

Have to agree - I think he was the last of the many great writers and comedians who came to prominence in the years after WW2, many of whom he worked with or wrote for.

RIP Eric

A very sad day indeed, a truly inspirational and innovative comedy writer

R.I.P Eric Sykes

Back