Sci-Fi

WellyMan

Dedicated Member
Any Sci-Fi lovers (books or films) here? I recently bought the film "2010 The Year We Make Contact" on DVD as a review of it popped up on YouTube and I haven't seen it for a long time. Got loads of SF books but they're still in boxes after moving house recently.

Not true Sci FI in the sense of the term but lots of Dwarfers on here including me , remember reading then hearing then watching the very early and dare I say it groundbreaking Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy . I read the sequel Restaurant at the end of the Universe but never got around to reading the others in the series [now I have reminded myself of that fact I may do so now] .

I really liked the Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but favourites, by far, are the three most recent movies.

GUILTY as charged! Read, and/or have, a lot of the "classics" (Dune series and Asimov, Harry Harrison, Niven, Pournelle and E.E. Smith et al.) Read all the Hitchhiker trilogy (All 5 parts) Currently quite taken with Jay Posey, Jay Allan and Jack Campbell and a few other more modern writers.

I tend to favour the "Space Opera" type material but not 100% exclusively.

I am definitely a Dwarfer and quite like Star Trek (Not so much the newer stuff, although the original themed movies were acceptable), and Star Wars (Original 3!) I am also a fan of Babylon 5 and Battlestar.

Not a fan of Stargate, although the boss, who isn't a Scifi fan REALLY likes it and Blakes' 7.

I am struggling to think of any recent films which I like though. The "Blockbusters" tend to be too over the top and more "shoot-em-ups" than anything else. That got boring YEARS ago.

I hear they are making a "Foundation" Series TV show, which sound intriguing and looks promising if the pre released details are anything to go by.

Not a fan of Stargate, although the boss, who isn't a Scifi fan REALLY likes it and Blakes' 7.
Forgot all about Stargate (SG1), got all the DVD's on shelves behind me here! Yes I DO like Stargate. Just for the fun factor.
A small window into my secret world :)

Attachments

• Shelves.jpg
    Shelves.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I remember two SCI Fi series from years ago which occasionally get an airing on Sat TV , Space 1999 and UFO both ahead of their time mainly thanks to Gerry and Sylvia Anderson being responsible for them yes they look very dated now but it doesn't detract from their quality and groundbreaking effects for the time they were made.

I remember two SCI Fi series from years ago which occasionally get an airing on Sat TV , Space 1999 and UFO both ahead of their time mainly thanks to Gerry and Sylvia Anderson being responsible for them yes they look very dated now but it doesn't detract from their quality and groundbreaking effects for the time they were made.

For their time the effects on Space 1999 were pretty good. I think episode of it are still available on YouTube.

Another Red Dwarf fan here.

Are you familiar with a show called The Expanse ?

An excellent show now in it's 5th season (with more planned in the future) based upon 8 books which are a great read. The story telling, acting, musical score, special effects are all top notch. The show has a very solid background from the books to build upon and the show's producers worked closely with the two authors of the books throughout the whole process.

It takes place a hundred or so years from now where humans have colonized our moon, Mars and some larger asteroids in the asteroid belt plus a few moons of Jupiter and Saturn. There are three main factions in an uneasy alliance being Earth, Mars and the Belters (along with it's sub faction Outer Planets Alliance). Unfortunately those in the Belt have gotten the short end of the stick by Earth and Mars for some time and things have become increasingly tense.

The science behind the show is legit and true to reality. There are no faster than light propulsion drives, force fields or inertial dampers. It takes time to cross those vast distances both in travel and in communications. Artificial ship gravity is created by thrust from the ship moving forward under power or magnetic boots on the floor deck. Ship flooring design is more akin to a skyscraper building (perpendicular to forward motion) than a naval vessel (parallel to forward motion) to take advantage of engine thrust. Without force fields cannon fire from an attacking vessel have the ability to penetrate straight though a ship's hull with devastating effect. No inertial dampers mean both ship and crew face extreme g forces under heavy acceleration/ deceleration or evasive maneuvering.

The world building in the show takes a few episodes for the viewer to get up to speed. You are dropped in the middle of it and expected to pick things up and learn what is going on as the characters themselves do. The authors do not spoon feed you info and that is one of the things I really like about the series. Have heard by many that it takes a few episodes for most to get used to the characters and what is going on. After that they are hooked. By the third episode the roller coaster of a show you got on kicks off and you are in for a heck of a ride.

Along with a great background musical soundtrack another thing I really like is the subtle camera work. You could be looking down a hallway and hearing someone coming your way. Naturally one would think as they round the corner and walk towards the camera that their head would be oriented at the top of the screen and feet at the bottom. Not always true in zero gravity space. They could be walking on what you perceive to be the ceiling as the camera slowly rotates to make them upright in relation to the viewer. Or the camera could be at a right angle to the character and viewer then slowly re-orient itself. A lot of attention is paid to finer details in the show. It is easy to notice a bit of detail and realize it ties back to another passing detail from a previous episode.

At first I felt the main characters acting were a little wooden at the beginning. That changed as I got to know them more and I think they become more comfortable in their roles. The writers weave a gripping story that takes the viewer to places they never expected to go. Think I will stop rambling the shows virtues now. As you can tell I am a fan. If you care to know more, just ask.

Any Sci-Fi lovers (books or films) here? I recently bought the film "2010 The Year We Make Contact" on DVD as a review of it popped up on YouTube and I haven't seen it for a long time. Got loads of SF books but they're still in boxes after moving house recently.

Dr Who for me. The original series, of course, not the modern rubbish. I like the BBC series of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy too. Also the radio play. Quatermass was great, in all it's form, as well. Red Dwarf. Blake's 7. The original Battlestar Galactica. God! There's too many to list.! Lol

Rick, I was a bit of an Expanse fan but I sort of grew out of it.:confused:

I read the first few books of the series BEFORE watching the TV shows.
Unfortunately this caused a few problems in that the "feel" of the original book was not translated onto the TV for me.

I had also by that time got a "picture" of the characters in my head and the actors did not meet that "picture" to me.

Having said that I watched up to I think Season 3. I also stopped reading the books after about book 5 or 6.

I must say that there is nothing inherently wrong about either the books or the TV show. The production values of the show are top notch and under other circumstances I may well have continued watching it but to me I grew tired of it. :tw:

For those who haven't seen it, I WOULD recommend it, it just wasn't for me, and that was MY fault, not the Series'. If I had started by watching the TV show first then things may have been different.

I agree with what you are saying, Brian. I started the books after watching the 2nd TV series. Which was ideal because I was able to carry over the image of the actors onto the characters in the books. Read most of them during the pause between the show going from Sci-Fi Channel to Amazon.

I'm thinking you made it to around the part where I wavered as well but stuck it out. Also I forget when in the books (5-ish) maybe that I feel they went on a tangent to what I felt was the original main story arc was. It was still really good but not in the direction I would have wanted things to go. Kept hoping it would go back. Still a fun ride and I am glad I took it. Gave me some reading during Covid.

Rick, I've read 2 or 3 of the books that The Expanse is based on but not seen the TV show. If it ever comes to Freeview I'll take a look. I'm quite picky about SF and so gave Star trek Discovery a swerve after seeing clips and some reviews. If anything I think TV needs more original SF like The Expanse rather than endless milking of the Star Trek franchise.

Barry, I have heard that there are some sad people in the world like you who don't "get" Sci Fi, but I don't really believe it.
Next you will be saying that there are people who don't like LOTSW.:13::13::13:

(NOTE: not being insulting Barry...tongue FIRMLY planted in cheek!!)

Any truth in the rumour that Auntie persuaded him to award her a Blue Peter badge for dedicated and tireless provision of supplies for local residents often in times of adversity .............. for those who had the courage to enter her shop!

Back