Series Eighteen

I suppose Ollerenshaw and Cope are big stars but I never heard of them,

Aw come on!!! Maggie was Mrs Clegg in the First of the Summer Wine, and
she was Mavis in Open All Hours and Still Open All Hours, and she was in
Corrie and Doctors and loads of others. You cannot have missed her.

It's entirely possible to have missed her. Of all the titles listed above, I've seen only First of the Summer Wine, and I didn't see it until long after having seen The Love Mobile.

Of all the titles listed above, I've seen only First of the Summer Wine

You have never seen Open All Hours?? By ROY CLARKE ?????

With Ronnie Barker, David Jason (!!!), and Lynda Baron??? Barbara Flynn??
Stephanie Cole?? And Kathy Staff???

Where You Been???

chuck

Where You Been???

chuck

My PBS station has never broadcast that series. Although I probably could find it and see it somewhere online, without subtitles I wouldn't hear enough of it to make it worth spending time looking.

You should look into downloading torrents from the various
web sites.

For example, today my daughter came by and borrowed a few DVDs
of the early New Tricks (one of my all-time faves!!). But I worry
and thought I would try to find a backup. Went out to ThePirateBay
and found the complete Series 1 as AVI files. Already downloaded
and will re-watch the Pilot tonight. Jeez the web is wonderful.

chuck

You should look into downloading torrents from the various
web sites.

For example, today my daughter came by and borrowed a few DVDs
of the early New Tricks (one of my all-time faves!!). But I worry
and thought I would try to find a backup. Went out to ThePirateBay
and found the complete Series 1 as AVI files. Already downloaded
and will re-watch the Pilot tonight. Jeez the web is wonderful.

chuck

Very few, if any, of the shows available for download have subtitles. Without them, the video is all but useless.

I love Open All Hours but hardly ever see it as it is on Monday only. The name Mavis is familiar but I am not that familiar enough to know which one is Mavis.

I have never seen Corrie or Doctors and only saw a tiny bit of FOTSW on youtube, but I just can't get into watching sitcoms on my computer. Maryland Public Television is pretty good with British comedies, but they don't carry everything.

My PBS station has never broadcast that series. Although I probably could find it and see it somewhere online, without subtitles I wouldn't hear enough of it to make it worth spending time looking.

Give yourself a real treat all four series on DVD on UK Amazon is only £11.94 , a taster of a one line from the show [you will have seen the Auntie v Arkwright thread and thus they will sell anything and resist having to give money back] Arkwright takes a phone call from a Customer " You've got a fly in one of your current buns , well once the goods have left the premises we cannot refund your money but if you bring the fly back we'll exchange it for a currant !"

Where You Been???

chuck

Everyone should get a pass on recognizing Stephanie Cole as she is totally different in each show that she appears in.

They didn't know. In fact, Wilde was supposed to come back for Series 19. Then, due to health, he was supposed to miss the first half of Series 19 but return for the second half. His health prevented the mid-filming return, so he was supposed to come back and film the "holiday" episode that would explain his absence with the expectation he would be back for Series 20. Exactly how that didn't work out in the end is still somewhat unclear to me given the different accounts in Vine and Bell's books.

As for Series 18, I like all the episodes except the holiday special, "Extra Extra." I've just never liked that one. George Chakris as the director doesn't do anything for me, for one, and the whole thing with Compo riding a horse seems like another shot at a joke we've already seen. Finally, there is a subplot involving Barry getting Glenda a moped for her birthday that just seems totally tacked on to make sure the episode lasted long enough.

For the holiday special, the one where he was drunk under the table, you can tell that they had no idea what Brian was going to do as they had to draft an assistant director(?) to be his double instead of the double they usually used.

I love Open All Hours but hardly ever see it as it is on Monday only. The name Mavis is familiar but I am not that familiar enough to know which one is Mavis.

I have never seen Corrie or Doctors and only saw a tiny bit of FOTSW on youtube, but I just can't get into watching sitcoms on my computer. Maryland Public Television is pretty good with British comedies, but they don't carry everything.

Maggie plays Mavis , the character is the dithering lady who cannot make her mind up what to buy in the shop usually dressed in burgundy fake leather long coat and has curly permed hair in some episodes .

Back