Series Five

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Due to circumstances beyond my control ( Yes ok its my fault but lets not go there :me:) I may not be online tomorrow so here is Thursdays Series Five.

Series five gave us two double episodes with the flag double and the wide blue yonder double act, both very good and with A Dewhurst Up A Fir Tree as the xmas special made it another great season.

The only one I didn't like in this season was Full Steam Behind ( Said she reaching for the hard hat) but it was a great season with lots of wonderful Wally scenes and Big Eric in charge of the Forestry Commission's xmas sale is just hilarious.

You didn't like Full Steam Behind? Well wash your mouth out with carbolic soap! :39:

Last edited:
I notice all you brave men wait until I'm tucked up in bed before you start your witch hunt and you thought I wouldn't be on today!! >:(

You've hijacked my thread for your dastardly deed...... You'er evil :46: Pure evil, I'm quite weak with nastieness. :13::13::13::p:p:p

Last edited:
Without a doubt "Full Steam Behind" is the best. (sorry Pearl). "Earnshaw Strikes Again" has its moments as does The Flag double.

Series 5 was a bit of an odd one, actually.

Full Steam Behind, though brilliant, was a little uncharacteristic.

And having two double episodes does, in a way, feel like two episodes instead of four.

Series 5 contained some of the shoddiest directing ever seen in the show, with bad stunt doubles and some dreadful continuity.

Another question of continuity was the 1979 Christmas Special, where they talk about not being at all prepared for Christmas last year - ie no food etc. We know differently of course, from the 1978 special.

Still a very good series of course.

I agree about the terrible use of stuntmen in this series.

Deep in the Heart of Yorkshire is interesting as it is perhaps the only episode to essentially be remade later on (to a large extent).

Considering this was the series that launched the shows popularity from "a success" to "everybody is watching," I'm a bit surprised at some of the criticisms.

It's also always been interesting to me that despite the massive ratings this series got there was such a long gap after it and that they never bothered doing two part episodes again.

For me, Series 5 started with a bang, Full Steam Behind and the Flag and Snag episodes were great. The following episodes didn't quite reach that level of quality.

The first three episodes showed Foggy at his best.

If I am remembering correctly, Full Steam Behind was a rather special
episode, maybe the only one like it, especially to honor the
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway in Oxenhope.

I don't know anything about trains, but I know that is the episode due to past discussions.

Back