Series Nineteen

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Here we say hello to Truly of The Yard. Herbert Truelove.

I liked There Goes The Groom but I think it was a little bit too long for the storyline, I loved the Wesley and Edie bedroom scenes. ( There's phrase I never thought I'd use on here!)

Truly took some getting used to but he worked well with Clegg I thought. Has I said from here on in there weren't any great series for me just a some great episodes I loved Oh Howard We Should Get One Of Those and The Suit That Attracts Blondes is really good too.

The thought of Wesley having to buy Edie a replacement xmas present because he's nicked her screwdrivers is funny, reminds me of why my kids alway buy my presents and give them to him in doors to give me!!

( The lime green and white shoes and a large bottle of cod liver oil tablets could quite easily have been wrapped in divorce papers. )

Last edited:
I agree with your two episodes Pearl and I also liked "Nowhere Particular". I think by the end of the series truly fitted in very well.

There goes the Groom introduced us nicely to Herbert Truelove. I had the same problem with him that I had with Seymour in that I refused to like either of them because their introduction marked the exit of Foggy and I resented them both for a while, but eventually warmed to both characters after a suitable mourning period for Foggy. I liked the antics in Nowhere Particular, I knew a man once who bought a van for the same reason as Howard, he had no luck either! Tarzan of the Towpath is a favourite of mine now too mainly because it is revisited in It's Never Ten Years, a wonderful episode. The Only Diesel-Powered Saxophone in Captivity is one of my very least favourite episodes.

Last edited:
The two weakest ones for me were "Beware the Oglethorpe" and "From Audrey Nash to the Widow Dilhooley". There Goes The Groom only gets a 6/10 while the rest get 8s and 9s .:22:

The two weakest ones for me were "Beware the Oglethorpe" and "From Audrey Nash to the Widow Dilhooley". There Goes The Groom only gets a 6/10 while the rest get 8s and 9s .:22:

I agree with Dick........................ Was that a thunder bolt?? (There Goes The Groom gets an 8 from me. )

For me, I took to Truly straight away.

I think it was a good character to replace Foggy, as they took the trouble to create someone who was quite different, yet still have some of the characteristics all the 'third men' had to have.

Beautifully underplayed.

I think all of the episodes in the series are brilliant.

For me, I took to Truly straight away.

I think it was a good character to replace Foggy, as they took the trouble to create someone who was quite different, yet still have some of the characteristics all the 'third men' had to have.

Beautifully underplayed.

I think all of the episodes in the series are brilliant.

Ahhhh yes, I absolutely LOVED Foggy and Seymour, but there is something about Trully and the way Frank Thornton "underplayed" the character. I think after decades of the eccentric and sometimes domineering personalities of Foggy and Seymour, Trully was quite refressing. He just had a certain demeanor about him.

I caught Beware of the Oglethorpe today. I recently learned that Brian Wilde was expected to return by the 2nd half of this series. It is interesting to view these episodes knowing this now. Do you think the role of Trully was "underplayed" because originally it was thought that he would only be temporary?

Wasn't Tarzan of the Towpath where Trully playfully incites fear among people with his comments about a tiger on the loose? That was always a good one.

Wasn't Tarzan of the Towpath where Trully playfully incites fear among people with his comments about a tiger on the loose? That was always a good one.

That was THE COMING OF THE BEAST from series 22. Truly persuades Billy Ingleton a k a Norman Wisdom to look out for the tiger. :13:

Do you think the role of Trully was "underplayed" because originally it was thought that he would only be temporary?

I LIKE to think it was because after the two previous, sometimes extreme, characters, it would only be realistic for the next man to be a little different.

I'm also glad they didn't go down the obvious route of Thornton recreating his Captain (AYBS) Peacock routine.

I think Truly actually had more in common with both Compo and Clegg than any of the other third men. When Compo died, Clegg was left with a friend he really could relate to. With the previous third men, it was a bit of struggle for them to fully communicate with Clegg if Compo was temporarily absent.

I can't think of a better actor than Frank Thornton to attempt to fill the void left by Brian Wilde.

I LIKE to think it was because after the two previous, sometimes extreme, characters, it would only be realistic for the next man to be a little different.

I'm also glad they didn't go down the obvious route of Thornton recreating his Captain (AYBS) Peacock routine.

I think Truly actually had more in common with both Compo and Clegg than any of the other third men. When Compo died, Clegg was left with a friend he really could relate to. With the previous third men, it was a bit of struggle for them to fully communicate with Clegg if Compo was temporarily absent.

I can't think of a better actor than Frank Thornton to attempt to fill the void left by Brian Wilde.

Yes, it really seems like Frank Thornton was a godsend to the longevity of Summer Wine's later years.

Since we know that some of the episodes were supposed to feature a returning Foggy, I like to watch this series with an eye towards looking for clues in that regard. Several episodes, particularly in the second half of the season, feel like they could have used Truly or Foggy interchangeably.

You also have the oddity of key trio members missing, most notably in "Nowhere Particular" where Clegg and Truly are only in a few scenes. Or "The Only Diesel . . ." where Truly disappears for an obvious scene and then comes back.

"There Goes the Groom" was filmed last and has always struck me as a last minute rewrite of an episode that was supposed to include Brian Wilde as Foggy. Mainly because I think it unlikely they would have relied on using a body double to the degree they did.

On the whole I think its a somewhat inconsistent series, probably due to the circumstances surrounding Brian Wilde's situation. And I don't think Clarke had a real handle on Truly as a character yet.

On the whole I think its a somewhat inconsistent series, probably due to the circumstances surrounding Brian Wilde's situation. And I don't think Clarke had a real handle on Truly as a character yet.

I think Trully as a character really developed with the Compo's Passing Trilogy.

and what about . . "Of course, I could be lying."

Well, that one ois only 6 words!

I don't mind the catch phrases. To me they didn't get old because they didn't dominate scenes. The things I grew weary of were Compo (and then Alvin's) opening scenes by the window or front of Nora's house. Then there were also Foggy's war stories that got old. But these examples took up entire scenes, not just a three second moment.

I watched There Goes The Groom this afternoon,thought there were some great lines and scenes in it,like Pearl I loved the Wesley Edie bedroom scenes,
One of the first things that Truly said was about the length of his marriage to the former Mrs Truelove
37 years,the same number of years the show would last !

Back