Series Twenty One

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Well this is the series I watch least. I think Compos passing was handled well and there are some great scenes but I can't watch them.

I think the biggest let down is Magic And The Morris Minor for some reason it makes me cringe, Glenda gets all whiny and that doesn't suit her.

No I don`t think Pearl has missed one Dick. I think the Compo passing trilogy are brilliant and I watch them regularly even though they are sad.

Done a double take and realised no 20 has already gone :-[ Going back to bed now before she grabs her whip:39::13:

I like the Trilogy and always watch it, at least Bill got the send off he deserved. The show of course would never be the same again. I really liked Tom at first and thought that he would go a long way towards filling Compo's wellies but that never really happened. He was a very mischievous character at first but this seemed to change when he was teamed up with Smiler and went to work for Auntie. He became sidelined and was no longer the main character he'd been when first introduced.

Well this is the series I watch least. I think Compos passing was handled well and there are some great scenes but I can't watch them.

I think the biggest let down is Magic And The Morris Minor for some reason it makes me cringe, Glenda gets all whiny and that doesn't suit her.

Yes I agree, hard to watch. I bypass them when watching in line.

As far a Glenda. Yes, I always thought she was a bit whinny. From what I can remember it does get a bit abrasive.

Yes I agree, hard to watch. I bypass them when watching in line.

As far a Glenda. Yes, I always thought she was a bit whinny. From what I can remember it does get a bit abrasive.

I scarcely know who you mean :whisper: :12: (but she looks good in leathers!)

Last edited:
I like the Trilogy and always watch it, at least Bill got the send off he deserved. The show of course would never be the same again. I really liked Tom at first and thought that he would go a long way towards filling Compo's wellies but that never really happened. He was a very mischievous character at first but this seemed to change when he was teamed up with Smiler and went to work for Auntie. He became sidelined and was no longer the main character he'd been when first introduced.

It seems like most of the viewers never warmed to him. The last four episodes of this series were an attempt to establish him as Compo's successor, but I think they made several missteps with him, the first big one being the Babs character. Then you throw in him coming across at first as scamming the ladies and I think it was an uphill battle after that to try and get people to like him.

I do often skip this series simply because its hard to watch the early episodes knowning how poorly Bill Owen was at the time, then the trilogy is very emotional, and finally the latter episodes are kind of painfully unfunny. "Lipstick and other problems" is probably the only episode that feels like a regular one.

It seems like most of the viewers never warmed to him. The last four episodes of this series were an attempt to establish him as Compo's successor, but I think they made several missteps with him, the first big one being the Babs character. Then you throw in him coming across at first as scamming the ladies and I think it was an uphill battle after that to try and get people to like him.

Completely agree with you on the Babs character she was so wrong for the show, you have to wonder what was going through Roy Clarke's head when he was writing her. I thought Tom did ok in a few episodes but has John said he was sidelined to being Smilers wingman in Aunties shop and I think that was a way of admitting defeat with the Tom character.

OK, here we go. Time for me to clash with some others here.

With the Trilogy right in the middle of Series 21, the whole series ends up divided a bit. Before the trilogy, Magic & Morris Minor always seemed really good to me.

Like others, I believe the trilogy was absolutely brilliant, but sad as I am mentally used to linking Summer Wine with light hearted joy and humor.

Now for the part where I am different. Here to Paternity had the role of introducing Tom, therefor, it worked. It wasn't a stand out episode by itself, but served the larger role for the era and series with bringing Tom in.

Some Vans Can Make You Deaf and Waggoners Role were the episodes where Tom plays a big part. I actually like these a lot. People complain about Babs but she played such a small role. I always enjoyed Tom in these episodes but I believe he didn't fit it perfectly as Compo's replacement because he was different from the rest of the cast in that he wasn't a "townfolk". He was a wanderer. The rest of the cast were Holmsfirth locals all from the same generation. However, I like what Tom brought to the show. I liked him as a shifty character. I was never going to trust him with my finances, I just enjoyed his interactions with others.

Then there was I Didn't Know Barry Could Play. It seems a bit odd that Summer Wine returned to its regular format after the Trilogy and Introduction to Tom episodes with only one final episode, however, this is a hilarious episode with Barry (powdered in flour?) in the piano in the back of the truck.

OK, here we go. Time for me to clash with some others here.

With the Trilogy right in the middle of Series 21, the whole series ends up divided a bit. Before the trilogy, Magic & Morris Minor always seemed really good to me.

Like others, I believe the trilogy was absolutely brilliant, but sad as I am mentally used to linking Summer Wine with light hearted joy and humor.

Now for the part where I am different. Here to Paternity had the role of introducing Tom, therefor, it worked. It wasn't a stand out episode by itself, but served the larger role for the era and series with bringing Tom in.

Some Vans Can Make You Deaf and Waggoners Role were the episodes where Tom plays a big part. I actually like these a lot. People complain about Babs but she played such a small role. I always enjoyed Tom in these episodes but I believe he didn't fit it perfectly as Compo's replacement because he was different from the rest of the cast in that he wasn't a "townfolk". He was a wanderer. The rest of the cast were Holmsfirth locals all from the same generation. However, I like what Tom brought to the show. I liked him as a shifty character. I was never going to trust him with my finances, I just enjoyed his interactions with others.

Then there was I Didn't Know Barry Could Play. It seems a bit odd that Summer Wine returned to its regular format after the Trilogy and Introduction to Tom episodes with only one final episode, however, this is a hilarious episode with Barry (powdered in flour?) in the piano in the back of the truck.

When you say " Some people " you mean me don't you ? ;D;D

You rebel you :35::wink:

Last Post and Pigeon could be classed as part of this series, which was excellent.

Despite Bill Owen being absent for the indoor shots, Lipstick and Other Problems and Under the Rug were superb as well.

And naturally, the funeral trilogy was outstanding too.

I didn't think Magic and the Morris Minor was particularly good - it was a very poor last episode for Compo.

Lipstick or Rug would have been a better swansong for Bill Owen.

Or if you really wanted to mess up the BBC schedule, Last Post would have been a perfect final show for Compo.

But there you go.

Personally, I thought Tom's first appearances were surprisingly good.

I think the point of Tom was to make up a trio again, but by the next series it was clear it wasn't to be.

Mrs Avery was an interesting creation, would have fitted in ok eventually. The Babs character simply didn't work out. Maybe if her character was adapted slightly, it may have been better, but the point is the show simply didn't need any more characters at this stage.

Some good points there WSTOL, I've said it before that with Bill passing away I think Roy Clarke felt he had to fill some big shoes so he added all the new characters to try and fill the gap.

I agree about Mrs Avery I wasn't sure at first but the more I watched her the more I liked her, The Missing Bus Of Mrs Avery was a good episode and I liked her competition with Nora on who had the cleanest sheets/frontdoor/rugs I thought they were well played out.

When you say " Some people " you mean me don't you ? ;D;D

You rebel you :35::wink:

Well, in all honesty Pearl.....NO.

Throughout my years of being on this forum and a few years on the extinct one, there is a general concensus that the few episodes focusing on Tom (immediately after the trilogy) are not that good. I always particularly liked these episodes (Vans Make you Deaf and Waggoner's Roll). Perhaps it is because they are unique episodes and its was interesting to see a different type of barmpot character, Tom and Mrs. Avery, interact with the regular, older barmpots.

People are nicer towards Tom in this forum than they were in the previous one. They were really harsh. It was a time when Summer Wine was still going on so the emotions towards certain topics were higher (don't even want to bring up the old sentiment toward Hobbo!). In many discussions, I defended Tom. I always liked him. Could he properly replace Compo? Of course not. But he added humor to the show and I always appreciated his contibutions.

I am getting off topic here. Of course I am not saying anyone here dislikes Tom. Basically I am simply saying I will stand by my opinions that his first episodes were very good.

Was that the summer wine appreciation society (that web site
is still there, just dead) or the old (but not quite dead) summer-wine
yahoo group??

It certainly was not the appreciation society.

I am pretty sure t isn't the yahoo group either. I forgot the name of it, but it was a similar format to this one and one day, it just disappeared without warning. Big Unc was an integral part of it. I don't believe Terry was in it, but I recall Terry knew of it.

Back