Set the People Free

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
If you watch around 10mins 38 secs, the trio return to Seymours, Compo has the pram wheel in his hand, he just lifts it to throw it in the pond when they change the camera angle, and Compo has the wheel still in his hand, a few seconds later he throws it in the pond, it is almost as if he went to throw it to early, or they did not edit it soon enough before the camera change

Wow, very observant Terry. I noticed that before the camera change when it looks as if Compo is throwing the pram wheel ,Clegg is outside of the fence. When it changes and Compo actually steps past the gate then turns to throw, Cleggy is well inside the gate. At first I thought it was the same scene with 2 camera angles. Now I think it is 2 takes. Not bad for a 2 am review.

Well spotted,this morning I watched "How to create a Monster" and Cleggy had been duped into buying a large wardrobe and dresser and they were wheeling it down the alley towards the bollards that I took a photo of on sunday in the Compo and Nora post,as they approached the bollards you could clearly see they weren't going to fit through,and they were too low to go over,I'd not seen the episode for a while and thought it would be part of the joke getting through them,they stopped at the far side of the bollards to talk to Smiler,and after their brief conversation the next shot of them was at the other near side of the bollards having just finished talking to him,and they just carried on wheeling it away,the crew must have had to lift the wardrobes over between shots but just made it look like a continuous conversation.,

Other things to look out for in this episode are the blatant use of doubles.

When Compo goes round the alley way at Nora's house there is clearly a double used as Bill Owen hides round the corner.

And there is also a Wally Batty double desperately trying not to be noticed in some of the dinghy scenes.

Other things to look out for in this episode are the blatant use of doubles.

When Compo goes round the alley way at Nora's house there is clearly a double used as Bill Owen hides round the corner.

And there is also a Wally Batty double desperately trying not to be noticed in some of the dinghy scenes.
I enjoy watching and trying to spot places they've used the doubles in this episode as well as others. However, I do feel they've done a very good job with them for the most part, and a person watching an episode for the first time would probably not spot anything. It's only because I've watched the episodes so many times and have really come to know the characters so well, that I can notice when one is slightly off - especially when they are walking. Of course it's often a give-away when they try to hide their faces - as in the dinghy scenes.

They did such a wonderful job of integrating the doubles that the only time I'm sure that a double was used was during the scenes of Edie driving that red convertible. Thora Hird didn't drive so they had to use a double for those scenes.

I enjoy watching and trying to spot places they've used the doubles in this episode as well as others. However, I do feel they've done a very good job with them for the most part, and a person watching an episode for the first time would probably not spot anything. It's only because I've watched the episodes so many times and have really come to know the characters so well, that I can notice when one is slightly off - especially when they are walking. Of course it's often a give-away when they try to hide their faces - as in the dinghy scenes.

It was often the case when Compo was on a wall, his hands would wave around his face,so it was hard to spot it was a double, in fact more of a stuntman, it could of been Catching Digby's Donkey where it was obvious the trio were not on the donkey

Was it Series 5 that had the terrible use of stuntmen?

Particularly with the horse riding...

Yes, Series 5.

It really was terrible use of stuntmen.

Usually I don't really spot the use of stuntmen, but sometimes you just happen to notice.

Sometimes just the way someone simply walks can be a giveaway.

As I said though, I seldom notice, so it rarely spoils my viewing.

Series 5 though... (shakes head)

Of all the doubles used I think Smiler's stands out like a sore thumb, mainly because Stephen Lewis has such a distinctive gait and with his age he clearly has problems walking and so to replicate that with a double is so difficult.

One scene I had noticed was at the very end of Uncle of the Bride.

Something looked very wrong with a back view Wesley with Glenda going into the church.

It was only much later I realised the strain Gordon Wharmby was under, and that a double was used.

I've not noticed any other scenes yet though in Uncle of the Bride where a Wesley double was used - I'll have to take another look.

Thing is, that episode is so brilliant, I musn't watch it too often in case I tire of it.

Back