Snacks

Someone had bought all the Carolina Reaper almonds when I went to the store for an energy drink today so I had to get ghost pepper ones instead. Guess that's what I'm going to be eating while I watch the show tonight! I've got to finish my homework first tho because I don't have time to be sick right now! Lol

If I am able I have a cup of Yorkshire Tea and some biscuits. If I can get them it is Rich Tea, Jaffa Cakes, Walker's Shortbread and Hob Nobs.
My latest order from Blighty's Tuck Shop, in Orangeville, Ontario, was delivered today. In addition to my usual supply of Oatibix breakfast cereal, I had ordered some McVitie's Rich Tea Biscuits, entirely on Edie Pegden's recommendation. Oh, my, they're good, especially with coffee, as in Edie's command to Glenda at a coffee morning, "Drink your coffee!" They're just slightly sweet and very crunchy.

I also ordered some Builder's Tea, on the recommendation of Arthur Bryant, one of my favorite fictional sleuths. Will try it with lunch. I was a bit disappointed that I could find only tea bags, since I strongly prefer loose tea, oddly for an American.

Blighty's is the closest source of British foods, so the shipping is the least unreasonable, and they offer free shipping with a large-enough order - $100 Canadian, so around $75 US. My only quibble is that they don't ship perishables, and the best-available source of my must-have Wensleydale cheese charges an arm and a leg for shipping. Oh to be in England, where my favorite foods are commonly available!

I also ordered some Builder's Tea, on the recommendation of Arthur Bryant, one of my favorite fictional sleuths. Will try it with lunch. I was a bit disappointed that I could find only tea bags, since I strongly prefer loose tea, oddly for an American.

I didn't know you could buy Builders Tea. I thought it was just any cheap tea that was brewed strongly.

I didn't know you could buy Builders Tea. I thought it was just any cheap tea that was brewed strongly.
I'll let you know after lunch whether or not it lives up to the hype. The instructions say to steep the bag for only 20 seconds, so the blend must be inherently strong. It's blended and packed by Make Mine a Builders, located in Manchester. Their tag line is, "Britain wasn't built on camomile."

My latest order from Blighty's Tuck Shop, in Orangeville, Ontario, was delivered today. In addition to my usual supply of Oatibix breakfast cereal, I had ordered some McVitie's Rich Tea Biscuits, entirely on Edie Pegden's recommendation. Oh, my, they're good, especially with coffee, as in Edie's command to Glenda at a coffee morning, "Drink your coffee!" They're just slightly sweet and very crunchy.

Blighty's is the closest source of British foods, so the shipping is the least unreasonable, and they offer free shipping with a large-enough order - $100 Canadian, so around $75 US. My only quibble is that they don't ship perishables, and the best-available source of my must-have Wensleydale cheese charges an arm and a leg for shipping. Oh to be in England, where my favorite foods are commonly available!
I found your post intriguing, I love the name Blighty btw! Some great stuff on their us Brits just take for granted. As expected they are very expensive, but I suppose they have the get everything shipped over.

Not sure if you've heard of Fortnum & Mason before, but if you're wanting the very best UK groceries money can buy that is the place. It's was the Queens own grocers, I do know they ship to the US and have some amazing teas and biscuits, but would be a rate treat as it's so expensive, even without shipping!

I've never heard of it either, I've Googled it and I can't find on sale at any UK supermarket, I suspect it's a tea that's designed for the overseas market only.

I found your post intriguing, I love the name Blighty btw! Some great stuff on their us Brits just take for granted. As expected they are very expensive, but I suppose they have the get everything shipped over.

Not sure if you've heard of Fortnum & Mason before, but if you're wanting the very best UK groceries money can buy that is the place. It's was the Queens own grocers, I do know they ship to the US and have some amazing teas and biscuits, but would be a rate treat as it's so expensive, even without shipping!
Oh, yes, I've heard of Fortnum & Mason. I even, once, stopped in the store to browse as I strolled along Piccadilly during one of my early visits to London. Interesting, but way too expensive even without international shipping and customs charges.

Last edited:
I've never heard of it either, I've Googled it and I can't find on sale at any UK supermarket, I suspect it's a tea that's designed for the overseas market only.
That would be for the Canadian market, then, since that's where Blighty's is located. It's a medium-sized shop in a strip mall in the urban sprawl northwest of Toronto.

Oh, yes, I've hear of Fortnum & Mason. I even, once, stopped in the store to browse as I strolled along Piccadilly during one of my early visits to London. Interesting, but way too expensive even without international shipping and customs charges.
I love the fact you're such an Anglophile Mariana! If you ever make it over for a future Summerwine event I'll treat you to a caddy of F&M tea, in my opinion it's the finest tea money can buy!!!

I love the fact you're such an Anglophile Mariana! If you ever make it over for a future Summerwine event I'll treat you to a caddy of F&M tea, in my opinion it's the finest tea money can buy!!!
Thanks, but how much would the US customs charge me to carry it into the US?

Thanks, but how much would the US customs charge me to carry it into the US?
Would US customs really charge you on taking a small tin of tea back there? There's no way UK customs would charge you for it the other way around. I bought loads of lovely Earl Grey back when I visited Bar Harbour and I certainly didn't have to pay any duty on that.

I'll let you know after lunch whether or not it lives up to the hype. The instructions say to steep the bag for only 20 seconds, so the blend must be inherently strong. It's blended and packed by Make Mine a Builders, located in Manchester. Their tag line is, "Britain wasn't built on camomile."
The Builders Tea lived up to it's hype. It certainly doesn't need steeping longer than 20 seconds! Nor does it need the customary "and one for the pot". I like tea so strong that most people would describe it as stewed, so this, made according to the instructions, is just right for my (questionable) taste.

Would US customs really charge you on taking a small tin of tea back there? There's no way UK customs would charge you for it the other way around. I bought loads of lovely Earl Grey back when I visited Bar Harbour and I certainly didn't have to pay any duty on that.
I don't really know, but in general US Customs is much more picky and greedy than any other country I've visited! A friend who was brought up to not waste food, reflexively put a roll from her in-flight meal away in her purse on a return flight. Customs confiscated it as undeclared goods and levied a fine. Baked goods aren't on the USDA list of forbidden agricultural products, although some of the ingredients in "raw" form are, so that probably wasn't the problem.

I bring back only next year's calendars and postcards to augment my photos, and I declare them on my re-entry paperwork, which the US government laughably refers to as a "reduction in paperwork". It's more paperwork than is required for a US citizen to enter the UK!

It seems like you guys have the coolest snacks over there, but yeah that sounds about right for US customs. Lol I say that like I've ever stepped foot in an airport! Lol I haven't, I just know how things are over here and assume customs is just as wild. Lol Sidenote, I just tried to eat my favorite snack (blue Takis) and my stomach quickly reminded me that it is not accepting food today. Lol Guess I'm just going to drink a glass of water, which is the only thing that won't make me feel sick, and watch Summer Wine because I'm giving up on my assignments for the night. Lol

I'll have to look for those items on my next visit to Jungle Jim's grocery in Cincinnati, OH. They have a British section but I never know where to start.

Maybe we should start our own "care package" business here.:) Mailing stuff to each other! Would be cheaper than getting hard to find items locally!

For me, anyone with LEES (Has to be LEES!) snowballs to give away would be angels in my book! :28:
We get them here in Oz very occasionally (Like maybe 1packet every 5 years) but they are rare because they don't travel well. Other brands...no problems, but they pale in comparison!!

Lol I'm sitting here texting my boyfriend, trying to get him to tell me what kind of sandwich he wants for our picnic tomorrow. He said he wants a PB&J. I can definitely do that for him, but what kind of peanut butter, what kind of jelly, what kind of bread? He also wants Cheetos, but what kind of Cheetos, crunchy or puffs? You'd think after 5 years, he'd know that he's got to be specific with me! Lol

Anyway, I've heard you guys don't eat PB&J in UK. Is that true? If so, it's delicious and you guys should definitely try it! Lol

I've never even heard of that before, is it sweet or savory jelly? TBH the only thing I use peanut butter for is baiting the mousetraps in my attic!

Back