Speculation on Bobby Ball

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
As I recently watched "Who's that Talking to Lenny Then" I couldn't help but to contemplate a little about Summer Wine's Future. Summer wine has lots of guest appearances but is it just me, or is there a little something extra charismatic about Bobby Ball in his Swan Man and "Talking to Lenny" appearances. He seemed like a great natural fit with the cast.

Sorry if this type of speculation is too much and doesn't accomplish a lot but....
Do you think Summer Wine would have continued or at least ended strong if Bobby Ball was selected as a permanent, lead character in 2009? I would have liked to see how it would have went.

This is pure speculation and the ultimate truth was the diminishing roles of Clegg and Truly and along with BBC's lack of support were the main causes of Summer Wine's end.

Thoughts anyone?

I think Bobby would have made an excellent regular.I always regretted the departure of Billy Hardcastle and think Bobby Ball would have helped make up for it.

I think Bobby would have made an excellent regular.I always regretted the departure of Billy Hardcastle and think Bobby Ball would have helped make up for it.
;) i'm with you on that subject george!! ;D

;) i'm with you on that subject george!! ;D

A replacement for Billy Hardcastle, yes...but what about a potential leader of the trio? In an ideal world they could have kept Billy. Reality was Sallis and Thornton's ages became a factor regarding their lead roles.

I also was quite sad when Billy left to do Corrie but life goes on i suppose.
I'm not really convinced that Bobby or anyone else could have saved the programme, the writing was on the wall at the BBC.
Long before the end was announced, Summer wine had come very close to being axed quite a few times, or at least there were rumours of it finishing.
Once Russ abbott came on board, i started to lose interest in the programme, more so when Clegg and Truly started featuring less.

G ; )

Back