Spin off

I think a great spin off would be one centred around Pearl and Howard. Maybe it could be situated in Holmfirth or maybe Pearl has decided to move to another area to keep Howard under control. Some of the peripheral charactewrs could still make appearences in it,

Just a thought really.

I find that spinoffs or sequels are a risky business. If they fail they make the original go down inpopularity. Mind you a Pearl and Howard whould be great.

I think in America it worked well with Mary tyler Moore then Rhoda and the Phylllis which the latter had a short life.

Also I don't believe British doing American versions and vise versa.

I find that spinoffs or sequels are a risky business. If they fail they make the original go down inpopularity. Mind you a Pearl and Howard whould be great.

Spin-offs often are never quite as good: I recently came across "It sticks out Half a Mile" a 13 part radio series which arose from Dad's Army with Wilson, Pike and Hodges in another south coast town and rescuing the pier in 1948. I know why I have not heard of it having heard som of the epsiodes - just lacks the punch of the original!

I think a great spin off would be one centred around Pearl and Howard. Maybe it could be situated in Holmfirth or maybe Pearl has decided to move to another area to keep Howard under control. Some of the peripheral charactewrs could still make appearences in it,

Just a thought really.

And it's a very nice thought.

I would welcome this more than the rumoured series about the two policemen.

But one has to wonder if Robert Fyfe would soon be having insurance problems like Sallis and Thornton.

The final series was based heavily on Howard and Pearl, so why not just make more Last of the Summer Wine? :) :)

I don't know how much more you could do with just those 2 characters. They had already run through just about every possible situation and even then re-did the same situations over and over with slight variations on the same theme. So a whole show just on those 2 would be more of the same. Unless you radically changed the situation, Howard moves in with Marina, Pearl becomes a Heck's Angel and the hi-jinks begin?

I don't know how much more you could do with just those 2 characters. They had already run through just about every possible situation and even then re-did the same situations over and over with slight variations on the same theme. So a whole show just on those 2 would be more of the same. Unless you radically changed the situation, Howard moves in with Marina, Pearl becomes a Heck's Angel and the hi-jinks begin?

I partially agree with "Who is that Then". Howard and Pearl went through so many storylines already and again and again.

Ahh....spin offs and comebacks. I have commented on them before but the speculation is so much fun for me I will do it again.

I believe in a spin off centered more around Barry and Glenda since age-wise they can contribute for a longer time. But I believe in still keeping Howard and Pearl active. Since I recently developed a liking for Hobbo I will say keep Barry and Glenda as a bit of a center piece and bring back Russ Abbott and Keith Clifford and make the popular guest, Bobby Ball, a regular. Age permitting, Ivy, Entwistle, and Alvin could still play significant parts.

It would be possible to introduce a retirement home for the older members of the series where they could indulge in the dialogue without undue physical exertion while leaving the younger members to be more active in the countryside. The main problem would be persuading Roy Clarke to continue writing or, if he declined, finding a writer of comparable brilliance to undertake the task. Not an easy problem to solve, but an even bigger problem would be to persuade the "youff" obsessed, spotty faced adolescent progamme co-ordinators at the BBC that such a series would be infinitely better than the endless "reality", cooking, dancing and so called talent freak shows that at present infest the air waves. Grumpy

It would be possible to introduce a retirement home for the older members of the series where they could indulge in the dialogue without undue physical exertion while leaving the younger members to be more active in the countryside. ..... Grumpy

Clegg would still be writng down the odd thought - or even it could be the diary of Norman Clegg, aged 89 3/4 , with Truly looking over his shoulder.

Spin-offs often are never quite as good: I recently came across "It sticks out Half a Mile" a 13 part radio series which arose from Dad's Army with Wilson, Pike and Hodges in another south coast town and rescuing the pier in 1948. I know why I have not heard of it having heard som of the epsiodes - just lacks the punch of the original!

To be fair, it was originally written as a vehicle for Arthur Lowe reprising Mainwaring, but he died after the pilot.

hold on, if we are talking about Robeert Fyfe, i heard a rumour that the bycicle scenes were cut because of insurance reasons but if that true.......what was with the trampoline in the last series? surely thats more of a risk?

Back