Summer Wine and US geography

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
It has been a while since I started a topic and lately I have toyed with the idea of an American verision of Summer Wine in my head (which would be sacrilegious for a lot of people). This topic is also inspired by the recent topic, "Any American Actors that Would have made Good Guests on the Show". But anyway, here my question goes as I contemplate the idea of a loosely derived American version of the show.

A striking feature that adds to the quality of Summer Wine is its setting; the scenery and social culture of Yorkshire.

If there would be an American version of Summer Wine what would be the best location. The answer can be given in region or state. And if one has never been to the states they can answer based on impressions.

Here are some possible answers....

New England
New Jersey (has its own bit of culture and characteristics)
the South East (Caolina's Georgia, Alabama, etc.)
Florida (a lot of elderly and retirement homes,etc.)
Texas
Appalachia (mountains of Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, etc.)
Rust Belt (Ohio, lower Michigan)
Northern Woods (upper Michigan, Winsconsin, Minnesota_
Big Sky Country (Idaho, Montana, etc.)
Southwest
Northwest
West Coast
Alaska
Great Plains (Wyoming, Kansas, etc.

to name a few.

At first I would have voted Big Sky country, after seeing the wide open landscapes in movies like Napoleon Dynamite, and the Straight Story.

Appalachia seems good at first with the various creeks, mountains, forests (and the moonshine culture to be an occasional episode topic). However, I don't think things should become too redneckish.

Then my final vote is New England, particularly in Maine or the upper parts of Vermont or New Hampshire. There are small towns with close proximity to creeks, rivers, forests, mountains, etc.

OK Folks, share your thoughts!

I don't know if any type of American landscape could duplicate the rolling hills of Yorkshire. That geography was integral to the show's popularity. Here in New Jersey, particularly the southern portion of the state where I live, there's a huge area of land called the Pine Barrens. It's a densely-wooded area consisting of mostly pine and oak trees and some cedar. Given that, it probably would have lent itself well to LOTSW episodes that took place in the woods, like "And A Dewhirst Up A Fir Tree" or the episode where Sid disappeared in the woods with a bedding roll.

I don't know if any type of American landscape could duplicate the rolling hills of Yorkshire. That geography was integral to the show's popularity. Here in New Jersey, particularly the southern portion of the state where I live, there's a huge area of land called the Pine Barrens. It's a densely-wooded area consisting of mostly pine and oak trees and some cedar. Given that, it probably would have lent itself well to LOTSW episodes that took place in the woods, like "And A Dewhirst Up A Fir Tree" or the episode where Sid disappeared in the woods with a bedding roll.

I recall how lovely the hills/mountains are (they would be the Appalachians I suppose) through which I#80 travels near the Delaware Water Gap. My only concern might be that around Holmfirth we might have a few random adders. I suspect a few rattlers in your hills.

I recall how lovely the hills/mountains are (they would be the Appalachians I suppose) through which I#80 travels near the Delaware Water Gap. My only concern might be that around Holmfirth we might have a few random adders. I suspect a few rattlers in your hills.

I saw a program on the Pine Barrens and the legendary creature known as the Jersey Devil. But there doesn't seem to be enough evidence for me to believe it.

I get highways 80 and 81 mixed up but I don't recall one of them trraveling down theWestern side of Virginia into Tennessee, which would be on the otutskirts of the Appalachia mountains.

With my question, I don't think one has to attempt to get a setting as identical as possible to Yorkshire. Obviously nothing can replace it. I am referring more to what setting would people like to see used for such a show.

Thanks for responding.

There are parts in Appalachia that would be suitible because of the slower pace of life.

In So. Oregon where I live, there is a small preserved gold rush town named Jacksonville. It doesn't have Holfirths hills within town, but is otherwise similar. You can see pictures on Wikipedia.

I get highways 80 and 81 mixed up but I don't recall one of them trraveling down theWestern side of Virginia into Tennessee, which would be on the otutskirts of the Appalachia mountains.

I#80 goes East West from New Jersey to San Francisco. I#81 goes North South from the Canadiuan Border in New York state to Dandridge, Tennessee. They cross near Hazleton, Pensylvania.

But I just do not understand your reference to the Appalachians. They run from New Foundland, Canada down to Alabama: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Mountains

I haven't traveled much but I think the finger lakes region of ny { Ithaca ny or Watkins glen ny }.

[/quote]

I#80 goes East West from New Jersey to San Francisco. I#81 goes North South from the Canadiuan Border in New York state to Dandridge, Tennessee. They cross near Hazleton, Pensylvania.

But I just do not understand your reference to the Appalachians. They run from New Foundland, Canada down to Alabama: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Mountains
[/quote]

Hey there, Bi Unc

Yes the Appalachia Mountains run quite far from North to South. To Americans, there is the historic Appalachia trail which starts in Georgia and runs up to Maine (I believe stopping at Maine's biggest mountain, Mt. Kataddin). The historically rich part of American Appalachia is around Tenessee, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia). Like Yorkshire (and I am by no means a cultural expert on Yorkshire), the Appalachia region has its own cultural abd social characteristics (such as a rugged sense of independence). This is how some might tie it to a good Summer Wine setting.

I hope this makes a bit of sense.

I have lived in and traveled about the US since the 40's.
Lived mostly on the east coast (MA and ME),
and the southeast (NC).

I have spent loads of time in West Yorkshire.

I can think of no location anywhere in North America
that comes close to the Dales and the Moors and the
valleys of LOTSW, where you can stand on a hill, look
around 360 degrees, and not only not see another
person, but not even a habitable building. Oh sure,
the odd falling-down stone barn, but nothing else but
maybe a sheep or two. But yet standing there, you can
see across the rolling countryside for miles in all
directions.

It's magic!

All very intriguing for some one who hardly ever leaves the Pennine area! Only to go to the sea side!!!

What this is showing me is that we have quite a large following from USA. This is also seen when we have to make translations from more local terms!

Question - do we know how many members are USA based as a proportion?

All very intriguing for some one who hardly ever leaves the Pennine area! Only to go to the sea side!!!

What this is showing me is that we have quite a large following from USA. This is also seen when we have to make translations from more local terms!

Hello Barmpot,

This forum has proven to be an educational experience. For one, I learned what your name means. And as I mentioned in another recent post, I already heard the term "Bobs your uncle" thanks to Basil Fawlty. But I learned the origin of the term here.

One question for you Barmpot and the other Yorkshire natives. Is it really true what Clegg says in Earnshaw Strikes Again, "they make better beer down south?" I am sure you would all disagree!

Hello Barmpot,

T......
One question for you Barmpot and the other Yorkshire natives. Is it really true what Clegg says in Earnshaw Strikes Again, "they make better beer down south?" I am sure you would all disagree!

does he really? I shall have to relisten to that.

If he does he is being sarcastic I would think.

Clegg is very parochial, once up on the hills he was told on a clear day one could see Lancashire to which he replied "there's always a snag" ...

Yes it is true the Clegg said "There are better beers down south" in Earnshaw Strikes Again". I don't think he was serious. It was a moment where the trio simply weren't getting along with the other pub locals.

Also, when I asked you is it true about what Clegg said, I was joking. It may have been a poor attempt at a joke and hard to come across in printed form.
Hello Barmpot,

T......

Clegg is very parochial, once up on the hills he was told on a clear day one could see Lancashire to which he replied "there's always a snag" ...

I don't think Clegg was serious when he said "they make better beers down south" in Earnshaw Strikes Again. It was a moment where the trio was not getting along with the regular pub crowd.

I wasn't serious when I was asking if it is true what Clegg said. It was a poor attempt at a joke which is hard to get across in printed form.

Yes it is true the Clegg said "There are better beers down south" in Earnshaw Strikes Again". I don't think he was serious. It was a moment where the trio simply weren't getting along with the other pub locals.

Also, when I asked you is it true about what Clegg said, I was joking. It may have been a poor attempt at a joke and hard to come across in printed form.
Hello Barmpot,

T......

I don't know why my message isn't going through. I was responding to Barmpot. Clegg wasn't serious when he said "They make better beers down south" in Earnshaw Strikes Again. It was a moment where the trio was not getting along with the pub locals.

I joking when I asked if what Clegg said was true, but the joke is hard to get across in printed form.

*raises hand*

I'm also from North Carolina. Appalachians would be interested as far as the cultural classing, but then again the whole "redneck" part and I can't believe *I'M* using that as a negative. Of course, the whole Yankees-Northerners clashing with Rednecks-Southerners could be just like the whole separation of the north and south over there. In our case it'd be reverse.

Also, seeing as how I look around Google Earth. I've pondered this idea as well. It's like cciaffone said, there aren't really any hilly areas that at the same time you can look and see a town in one valley and look over and see another town.

I've wondered if maybe the areas around Wisconsin, Minnesota might be good location. If anything there's farmland.

[/quote]

*raises hand*

I'm also from North Carolina. Appalachians would be interested as far as the cultural classing, but then again the whole "redneck" part and I can't believe *I'M* using that as a negative. Of course, the whole Yankees-Northerners clashing with Rednecks-Southerners could be just like the whole separation of the north and south over there. In our case it'd be reverse.

[/quote]

I started this topic mentioning the possibility of Appalachia and I "carefully" used the term "redneckish". I don't use the term too much and want to be careful not too offend so let me specify. LOTSW is a show regarding small town folk in a slower paced lifestyle. However, for the most part the characters aren't really rough. Compo's appearace could be a little similar to redneckish. Wesley making a mess with crazy things in his shed might be redneckish. But for the most part the characters are old military veterans, etc. By my use of "redneckish", I just think the show would be better off without loud domineering characters like Larry the Cable Guy (whose appearance is primarily an act which I don't mind myself). However, wild characters like that could be used in minor roles.

I agree with you fully and on the same page. There are comparisons, maybe character trait wise, but not overall. Going back to landscape-wise, I really don't think there's anywhere around here with the scenic qualities of Holmfirth, Marsden, Jackson Bridge and the like as far as the dales and being able to spot a small town over here and look over the hill and see another one.

You really REALLY have got to go to Yorkshire.

It is NOT that you can see one village from another.

Instead, you leave a village, hike across the moors,
and up a hill to the top. You look about. All 360 degrees.

You see Nobody. If you see a building, it will be an
old stone barn falling down. If anything moves, it will
be a rabbit or a sheep. That's all!!!!. Nothing Else.

You are alone. And it's quiet.

But another mile or so and there is a Pub with great beer.

Back