Summer Wine Pub Crawl

paulsp

I have noticed that Uk Gold have started airing the early episodes again so I thought it would be a good time to start visiting the public houses that appear in some of these even though I am almost teatotal (My wife is far from it however) .

So our first outing will be the Star Inn(My wife is really looking forward to that!) and its wonderful surroundings. Does anyone know why they chose that pub with it being so close to the Town centre (thats if i've got the right one) when there are so many other nice ones between there and Holmfirth? Don't ask me to name the episode. Even though I've watched them umpteen times I can never remember the titles.

We also intend to visit The Fleece in at Blackley near Elland which although I don't think they visited, is pictured in a number of shots on their way to Scarborough for their weekend holiday. There again it would be interesting to know why they chose this particular location when its so far away from the epicentre of where the majority of filming was taking place at that time.

So I hope members will be able to assist me with locations as and when one of interest appears in an episode which arouses my curiosity.

I have noticed that Uk Gold have started airing the early episodes again so I thought it would be a good time to start visiting the public houses that appear in some of these even though I am almost teatotal (My wife is far from it however) .

So our first outing will be the Star Inn(My wife is really looking forward to that!) and its wonderful surroundings. Does anyone know why they chose that pub with it being so close to the Town centre (thats if i've got the right one) when there are so many other nice ones between there and Holmfirth? Don't ask me to name the episode. Even though I've watched them umpteen times I can never remember the titles.

We also intend to visit The Fleece in at Blackley near Elland which although I don't think they visited, is pictured in a number of shots on their way to Scarborough for their weekend holiday. There again it would be interesting to know why they chose this particular location when its so far away from the epicentre of where the majority of filming was taking place at that time.

So I hope members will be able to assist me with locations as and when one of interest appears in an episode which arouses my curiosity.

I think the Star Inn was in 'Northern Flying Circus' mate...which I think was also the last episode that Michael Bates appeared in.

We go to West Yorks yearly, and mostly for the
scenery and the good ales in great pubs. Those
are our credentials. We DO drink!

That said, what are you, in fact, after here?

Good pubs in Holmfirth? The Nook, The Farmer's Arms.

Pubs in the series? Butcher's Arms, White Lion,
Elephant and Castle, Railway, etc??

That was at the Wills O' Nats in Meltham on Blackmoorfoot Road going southwest from Blackmoorfoot Reservoir, which you can see in the episode.

There is also the Swan in Marsden and a pub in Meltham (Was used in The bandit from Stoke on Trent, the pub is still there, the name escapes me for now) A pub crawl, whether you have a beer or a soft drink sounds awesome.

I wish I lived a little nearer to Holmfirth, I like a good pint of real ale in traditional settings.

I'm hoping to be up in September and would like to meet Terry and Stew and whoever else can make it for a good walk, check out a couple of sites and have a pint or two and a plate of chips.

Brambles seems to have the best price, but it just does NOT
feel much like a pub!! I'd hit the Old Bridge or walk
out past Compo's Fish and Chips to The Farmer's Arms.

The Nook has really great ales, but it gets awfully noisy,
especially for us older folks.

I'm hoping to be up in September and would like to meet Terry and Stew and whoever else can make it for a good walk, check out a couple of sites and have a pint or two and a plate of chips.

HI Chuffer.

In all honesty I don't think the pubs around there are too much like real pubs any more - a sign of the times I fear.
The White Horse is no longer the place it once was - and I first went in there at 7 years old.
Since Ron Backhouse retired I have heard that it has declined somewhat, the man who took over the licence had never even run a public house before and is reported to be something of a misery guts. There are are few 'weekend' residents now around Jackson Bridge - something Ruth Backhouse mentioned to my mum last time they spoke- and it has displeased some of the locals.

The Toss a coin and Foxhouses(close to what was used for Seymour's') used to be good watering holes but have no idea what they are like now.

HI Chuffer.

In all honesty I don't think the pubs around there are too much like real pubs any more - a sign of the times I fear.
The White Horse is no longer the place it once was - and I first went in there at 7 years old.
Since Ron Backhouse retired I have heard that it has declined somewhat, the man who took over the licence had never even run a public house before and is reported to be something of a misery guts. There are are few 'weekend' residents now around Jackson Bridge - something Ruth Backhouse mentioned to my mum last time they spoke- and it has displeased some of the locals.

The Toss a coin and Foxhouses(close to what was used for Seymour's') used to be good watering holes but have no idea what they are like now.

As I feared, like everywhere else they are destroying traditional pubs :(

As You said Stewpot, a sad sign of the times I suppose nowhere stays the same unfortunately.

HI Chuffer.

Cheers Stew
I not much of a drinker really, it was more for the day out and meet up with you and Terry and check out a couple more locations and then go for a pint. It was the company and the day out more than the beer. It would be nice to go to a couple of Pubs they used in the series, but not essential.
I went to the Elephant and Castle last time I was over and The White Horse the time before and you are right, the Landlord of the Horse was a right misery, couldn't have made us feel less welcome if he had tried.

Cheers Stew
I not much of a drinker really, it was more for the day out and meet up with you and Terry and check out a couple more locations and then go for a pint. It was the company and the day out for than the beer. It would be nice to go to a couple of Pubs they used in the series, but not essential.
I went to the Elephant and Castle last time I was over and The White Horse the tie before and you are right, the Landlord of the Horse was a right misery, could have made us feel less welcome if he had tried.

Hi Chuffer.

I too am like you,not a big drinker but look forward to sharing the company. We will have to arrange a day. ;D

Stuart

Back