Surprise at Throstlenest

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Fellow members recently shared their thoughts on episodes they have a hard time watching (Getting Sam Home, There Goes the Groom). For me it is the sequence of Fallen Wellies, Surprise at Throstlenest, and Just a Small Funeral.

Don't get me wrong, I think the show did a beautful job honoring Compo with these episodes. It was excellently done, but it is just very sad for me, when I look to Summer Wine for light-hearted joy.

Many of the conversations here center around the real life feeling and connection Summer Wine has on us. While it is definetly fiction to me, I really sense Compo's loss with these episodes. I will still watch these three episodes but it is a bit hard.

So here is my question (which I posted on the expired forum but never got the answer).

What is the significance of the character, Reggie Unsworth. I am especially referring the how "Surprise at Throstlenest" ends with the prolongs stare iof this character. Any ideas, anyone?

PS

Regarding the map section of the website (which is great, Terry). I would love to see where exactly the gang traveled to to get to Reggie's home.

The way I saw it,Reggie was in love with Compo,she said she couldn't get him to leave 'a woman next door' to live with her.
To put it crudely,she was Compo's 'bit on the side'.

The way I saw it,Reggie was in love with Compo,she said she couldn't get him to leave 'a woman next door' to live with her.

Indeed, she was his 'Thursday'. It was a nice touch I thought.

Indeed, she was his 'Thursday'. It was a nice touch I thought.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Yes, that makes sense. I just always took note of that elongated pause at the end of the episode where they focus on a close up of her face.

Despite Nora's crudeness to Compo, she didn't like it when Reggie was in town for the funeral.

Nora loved him really, despite her protestations. She was Green with envy when Reggie turned up and she tried to make something of Tom in his early episodes.

For me it is the sequence of Fallen Wellies, Surprise at Throstlenest, and Just a Small Funeral.

Nope, I think those three were done so very well and honored Compo
and Bill. I loved them.

The episode that always busts my gut is Last Post and Pigeon where you
know Compo is dying but it doesn't happen then. He looks like he's
had it but keeps playing Last Post anyway. Kinda a final farewell
to Compo and to Bill.

How long did Bill Owen know he was dying and continue to play Compo? Was it for part of the series, a whole series, or just last Pigeon and Post? He did look quite old in the final series, but carried on great. I recall his last episode being Beware of the Vanilla Slice. To me he seemed quite active.

I think it was for a part of the series, I think they told him he had a few weeks left. Awful thought! He wouldn´t have gone to a doctor at all, had Peter not insisted on it.

Always thought Roy Clarke never intended us to get all wound up in the show but it made you get involved Getting Sam Home was a well constructed comedy peice the like we will never see again.As the story evolved you felt that you were not watching a comedy show but real life,I can imagane Sid getting involved and having to do a service as they wait in the layby.In most towns there is a Lily Bless Her and with how the women carried on in the show ,we have all met them and boy LOTSW girls are the Herman Goering Division real battleaxes.!!!!!!

Regarding all the episodes already mentioned, I still find it difficult to watch them. Saying goodbye to such a classic character actor as Bill was difficult. Granted, I vehemently disagreed with his uber-leftist politics, but that aside, nobody could have played Compo quite like he did. That character was an absolute comedy icon.

to Compo and to Bill.
[/quote]

I can't watch that either it's to sad and poor Bill looks so ill in it too. I love taking Sam Home, I could watch it all day. I think the long look at Reggie at the end is saying " This what he had and could have had perminatly but didn't" I think it goes to show a side of Compo that maybe we didn't see, that there was more to him than scruffy old Compo, I think it says " We only ever scratch the service of other people" Well thats what I think anyway, I could be totally wrong :)

to Compo and to Bill.

I can't watch that either it's to sad and poor Bill looks so ill in it too. I love taking Sam Home, I could watch it all day. I think the long look at Reggie at the end is saying " This what he had and could have had perminatly but didn't" I think it goes to show a side of Compo that maybe we didn't see, that there was more to him than scruffy old Compo, I think it says " We only ever scratch the service of other people" Well thats what I think anyway, I could be totally wrong :)
[/quote]

And you could be totally right :)

Back