The Cars of Summerwine

Auntie's Austin delivery vehicle with plenty of room in the back, an estate vehicle, complete with flower vase, that should have come with 20 acres and a lake. "Goodbye handcart, hello creepy machine" said Tom, "It's very meeee" said Smiler :29:

BTW, John Lennon had a similar 1956 Austin Princess delivery vehicle that was refitted as a limo. You had to enter it through the back door!

Howard's Van
I remember Howard in 3 different vans. There was a blue one (probably a Ford) that he drove into Dream Acres, which was used to transport a donkey. There was a white Transit type van which Wesley was doing up into a grade B rolling shack wagon for Howard, used in 'Nowhere Particular'. Luther Hobdyke loaned a small dairy van (make unknown) to Howard, for Howard and Marina to use in their insect studies, in exchange for intelligence about Hobbo's alleged Mother Nelly,

Sorry, it wasn't a Sheerline, although every other resource says it was... none of them checked the body style!
There is a motorhead forum that took an interest in the Loxley Lozenge: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=140&t=1170896

If you read through it, the forum considered and ruled out a number of vehicles, based on observations of mechanical and suspension features of the Loxley chassis. The discussion filtered down to the conclusion that it was the chassis of an Austin Princess hearse (which probably would have been the same chassis as that of a Sheerline). Unfortunately, the youtubes the forum references as supporting evidence no longer exist. I found the body bulkhead frame, just aft of the cockpit on the Loxley, was curiously suggestive of a boat tail roadster; which would have made perfect sense for a lozenge shaped body. The bulkhead had a peak right behind the driver's seat, suggesting the presence of a vertical tail fin similar to that found on a D Type Jaguar. However, Looking at the photo of the height the trio were sitting on the couch, and the angle at which the steering wheel presented itself to Clegg, the angle of the steering column would be inappropriate for application to a roadster. That, coupled with the large engine, indicates that whatever the chassis was in a previous life, it was a heavy sedan or hearse as the case may be. The bulkhead frame I spoke of would have been made of wood on a one-off or limited production vehicle. I suspect that the bulkhead frame on the Loxley was jig sawed out of a piece of plywood and faux finished to match the patina of the aging chassis, for authenticity. There were no other hints of the body style that once occupied the chassis.

If anyone wants to see an Austin Sheerline:
The front seats are not original, but it is a nice car.

Oh shut up Seymour and eat your choc ice.

Back