Staff member
I have lived in my little town for 36 years. When I moved here we had:
7 Butchers
A Somerfield
9 Public Houses
4 Banks (National)
3 Estate Agents
2 Barbers
and just a couple (not sure) charity shops.

NOW we have
1 Butcher
A Morrisons
3 Public Houses
1 Bank
5 Estate Agents
7 bloody barbers
and God alone knows how many charity shops.

7 BARBERS, for pity sake, 80% of the population are farmers or decendents of, and they're all either bald or couldn't give a damn about their hair!!!!!

In Liverpool it was always sunbed shops....hundreds of them all over the City......."local businessmen" would set up their younger glamorous girlfriends in these establishments......no one knows how much is made.....because it is all " £3 for 3 minutes....£5 for 5 minutes" etc.....all cash.........all that is paid is the electricity bill......the initial shop re fit to make it look all exotic and welcoming.........and rental for the shop.
The aforementioned glamour puss then just invites all of her glamorous friends round to the shop.....where they sit all day gossiping about other "local businessmen's" younger glamorous girlfriends...........sad but true.
x!

Interesting subject, our village has changed beyond recognition in the past 10 years. We’ve lost 4 Banks, 2 Building Society’s, 2 decent Chinese restaurants, Greengrocers, Hardware Store, Toyshop, Chinese Chippy, 2 small local car businesses etc and numerous businesses have sprung up then gone bump within a year or two when another will pop up and have a go.
At the moment we have…
1 Running shop.
2 Pubs.
1 Union Club.
1 Dentist.
2 empty bars.
2 Estate agents.
1 San Carlo.
1 Waitrose.
1 Tesco Express.
5 charity shops
1 Patisserie.
1 Lebanese restaurant.
1Butchers
1 Hairdresser .
2 womens clothes.
1 shoe shop.
1 Jewellers
1 Newsagents.
1 Butty Shop.
2 Wine shops.
4 Cafe.
2 Barbers.
1 Chippy.
4 Bars.
2 Nail Bars.
1 Chemist
1 Post Office.
1 Bank( closed)
1 Library.
1Empty Cafe.
1 Thai Massage.
1 Florist.
2 Clothes shops.
At least there are independent shops and not just big chains.

Whilst what you describe is typical of many towns in the UK including sadly many close to me. I have to hold Shrewsbury my local town as the exception to this. They have a wonderful market which has been voted best in the UK amazing stalls which showcase lots of local crafts as well as lots of amazing international street food types of places to eat which are amazing. When new shops open in the town they tend to be independent boutique shops. They've even opened a non alcoholic beer shop called Dry which I think is truly brilliant and such a novel idea. I've no doubt there are other towns bucking the sad decline in town centres so hopefully this is story of hope.

I moved about 3 years ago from the South East, to a coastal town in the North West. The town centre here is rather pitiful. So many Turkish barber shops, charity shops (well, I don't mind these - but we've got so many) or just plain empty shops.

The town applied for one of those levelling up grants, but we didn't get it. :/ Seems like it's a forgotten place...

I wish we had a greengrocer's in our town. They have one in the next town over and it always seems to be thriving!

My mum and I went to our local fishmonger's the beginning of this week, only to find they had closed their shop. Thankfully they still continue to trade, selling online and making local deliveries.

maltrab, do you have to go far, then, for a day out shopping?

I wish we had a greengrocer's in our town. They have one in the next town over and it always seems to be thriving!

My mum and I went to our local fishmonger's the beginning of this week, only to find they had closed their shop. Thankfully they still continue to trade, selling online and making local deliveries.

maltrab, do you have to go far, then, for a day out shopping?
Sarah there is a small village shop about 4 miles away for basics, for a proper shop then 7 miles or 8 in the opposite direction

In a lot of villages and smaller towns the Coop store seems to be the only available store , I am not sure how widespread it is but it always surprises me when I travel to a small village and there its is , clearly it remains part of their core business since the Society was first established good on them.

In a lot of villages and smaller towns the Coop store seems to be the only available store , I am not sure how widespread it is but it always surprises me when I travel to a small village and there its is , clearly it remains part of their core business since the Society was first established good on them.
Yes but sadly the Co-Op no longer sells lino

Back