The Detectorists

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I just finished watching the three series of the Detectorists. I was curious about members' opinions on the show.

I absolutely LOVED the first series. Each series declined a bit from the other, but still, it was so enjoyable seeing the show in its entirety. I absolutely loved all of the Simon and Garfunkel references. And in honor of the first series, I am including a pic of a spirit stick.....to hit spirits with.
1625327712614.png

I saw a couple of episodes but wasn't impressed but having said that many people that know me we tell you I'm not easy to impress.

Yes, Pearl, I remember now you are not easy to impress. For example, I recall you saying you don't care much for Billy. Who doesn't love Billy? :)

I think the Detectorists has a little bit of Summer Wine quality. There are two awkward main characters out in the countryside taking an occasional break for a cup of tea. Often they stop by the pub for a beer after they are done for the day. They have barmpot friends and rivals as well.

But, to each their own.

I've heard a few people compare it to Summer Wine but I don't see it. Good comedy is hard to find these days on either side of the Atlantic. I got so fed up with people banging on about The Bang Theory I decided to watch it and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, the same for Young Sheldon.
I can't find a British one at the moment, they all seem to descend into adult thymed material and I'm by no means a prude, I can swear as good as the next man if the mood takes me, my daughters blame me for the grandkids first swear words but for me it's a fall back system and it usually means they've ran out of good ideas so just fill up the time with swearing and sex. I don't think we cultivate good writers anymore and it's a shame because kids now won't have what we have now which is at least one program that brings all kinds of people together like Summer Wine.

I've heard a few people compare it to Summer Wine but I don't see it. Good comedy is hard to find these days on either side of the Atlantic. I got so fed up with people banging on about The Bang Theory I decided to watch it and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, the same for Young Sheldon.
I can't find a British one at the moment, they all seem to descend into adult thymed material and I'm by no means a prude, I can swear as good as the next man if the mood takes me, my daughters blame me for the grandkids first swear words but for me it's a fall back system and it usually means they've ran out of good ideas so just fill up the time with swearing and sex. I don't think we cultivate good writers anymore and it's a shame because kids now won't have what we have now which is at least one program that brings all kinds of people together like Summer Wine.
Well said. Maybe Roy Clarke's comedies will remain valued for generations.

I can't find a British one at the moment

I agree there was promise with Warren with Martin Clunes but they binned it and also a couple of years back they had Boomers with Hobbo and other big UK stars which they binned when it was just getting into the swing of things now we are back to rather unsubtle "Edgy" comedy which is aimed at a younger audience so Famalam, This Country, Fleabag, Young Offenders and they are mostly all on BBC3 because the audience prefer to view online . I have to confess I have not watched any of them maybe I should but the impetus isn't there.

I agree there was promise with Warren with Martin Clunes but they binned it and also a couple of years back they had Boomers with Hobbo and other big UK stars which they binned when it was just getting into the swing of things now we are back to rather unsubtle "Edgy" comedy which is aimed at a younger audience so Famalam, This Country, Fleabag, Young Offenders and they are mostly all on BBC3 because the audience prefer to view online . I have to confess I have not watched any of them maybe I should but the impetus isn't there.
So it sounds like the problem isn't the lack of good writers, directors, etc., but instead the decisions the BBC makes.

I think it's a bit if both, TV companies are more interested in make programs for younger audiences unlike older audiences, the ones that actually still watch the TV. I have 3 kids, only one actually watches TV so the older generation are left with nothing but rubbish to watch.

I loved this series, though didn't think much of the recent special. It was fine, but didn't really add anything that we hadn't seen of the characters before. At its best, it is perfect, gently, thought-provoking, comfort television for me.

Back