The Odd Neighbour

Yes, but by the time Alvin moved in all the houses/apartments had been renovated

Not sure how you would know as they never show the insides.
The outsides always look the same. Inside, much of what
you think are apartments on Nora's side are really the
back ends of shops from the street side.

Just watched Lipstick and Other Problems. They show what looks
like Nora's kitchen, but it ain't. Having stayed at Nora's recently
I can tell you that there are similarities, but that's not really
Nora's kitchen we see. Close, but no seegar.

I can't recall any neighbors to Clegg and Pearl in the first location. But at least twice we saw neighbors to Pearl. Once, someone walking through the neighborhood knocked on the door of the person next to Pearl. A woman we'd never seen before answers the door. Another time, Pearl is seen standing outside her door talking to a neighbor. I can't recall the episodes right now. I'll have to try to find them.

"Wouldn't you like to be saved?" ~ Jehovah Witness
"First, I'd like something to happen worth saving me from." ~ neighbor

and in Spring Fever . . a neighbor is hanging wash with Nora ~ she has a few lines.

In another a teenage boy is kicking a soccer ball about in front by Pearl's.

Not sure how you would know as they never show the insides.
The outsides always look the same. Inside, much of what
you think are apartments on Nora's side are really the
back ends of shops from the street side.

Just watched Lipstick and Other Problems. They show what looks
like Nora's kitchen, but it ain't. Having stayed at Nora's recently
I can tell you that there are similarities, but that's not really
Nora's kitchen we see. Close, but no seegar.

Don't they go into Alvin's when Howard is wearing the two sweaters?

You mean he wasn't supposed to do that? I thought that was his front porch! Now I'm a little confused about how the building is set up...:confused:

Buildings in Homfirth as in other places (notably Hebden Bridge) have underdwellings and over dwellings where houses are partly under or over another one as well as being side by side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebden_Bridge

especially first paragraph under demography.

I actually stayed two doors up from Norah Batty's - it is two floors one side plus attic and four plus attic the other - the bottom two floors were a separate dwelling to the top and had part of the third floor as well.

We have had discussions on this in the pst and many have found the spaial arrangements very hard to understand.

The layouts of the homes can definitely be confusing. But remember all outside shooting was done on location, but inside shooting was all done on sets built for filming. They could make the insides look anyway they wanted.

They had to be really careful when shooting outside shots so we couldn't see inside when the door was open. For example in Clegg's and Pearl & Howard's homes (second houses) we would have seen a kitchen instead of the living room we would be expecting.

Marilyn

Oh ok, so if I understand it correctly, the houses were kind of like apartments, except they were regular houses stuck together like puzzle pieces. I'm sure if I lived there I wouldn't have such a hard time understanding. LOL

Oh ok, so if I understand it correctly, the houses were kind of like apartments, except they were regular houses stuck together like puzzle pieces. I'm sure if I lived there I wouldn't have such a hard time understanding. LOL

This description from Alan Bell's book, Last of the Summer Wine; From the Director's Chair, might help you visualize the layout. Or it might leave you hopelessly confused!

"One of the best known settings of Last of the Summer Wine is the Nora Batty location. But a great deal of work had to be done to make it look like her home. Looking at it from outside, just inside the front door is a staircase that leads up to the real occupants' living quarters. These stairs have to be carefully avoided by our camera whenever the front door is opened in a scene, because in the studio, our set is just a hallway with no stairs.

"Outside, to the left of the front door, is the window of Nora's living room- but the window really belongs to the commercial property next door where the occupants kindly allow us to take down their shutters and put up our Nora Batty curtains.

"To the right of the front door is Nora's kitchen. This really is a kitchen, but the sink is on the back wall and not at the window- where Nora has to be positioned for her exchanges with Compo. A false sink at the window, with a bucket beneath to collect the water from its drain easily overcomes that problem.

"The sink must have looked quite realistic, for when a young design assistant was asked to empty the bucket of water, she very carefully removed it from beneath the sink and promptly poured it back down the sink drain. Much to her embarrassment, the water went everywhere.

"Compo's bedroom window has to be positioned where he can open it and verbally harass Nora Batty on the landing beneath. But Compo's home is in the basement, below Nora's kitchen window and there is no bedroom window for Compo, nor is there a logical place for one to be seen. The solution was to use one of the windows belonging to the bookshop on the corner of the block. By never simultaneously seeing Compo at his window and Nora on the landing below, the viewers accept that Compo's basement flat has an upstairs window that is somewhere in the area next to Nora's kitchen window. Visitors to the filming were always confused by seeing Compo at the bookshop window, acting to the bristle end of a broom (to denote the position of Nora's face), or Nora herself, acting to a mark on the wall where Compo would be."

I don't know for sure, but wouldn't be surprised if the 'commercial property next door' fronts on Huddersfield Road. Also, later in the series they apparently used a different window for Compo's bedroom, as the drain pipe and smaller window to his left changed, although the actual drain pipe and window hadn't changed by the time the Google Earth photos were taken, several years later.

Bell's book is a good read and I highly recommend it, along with the Andrew Vine book, Last of the Summer Wine; The Inside Story of the World's Longest-Running Comedy Programme.

Marianna

Marianna

and others

they can be very convoluted and sometimes the bits under or over do not go the whole width, length of the building! So part is to the side, part above. It reflects as parts were sold off and quite complicated as you have these flying leases for a piece of building you own which is on land jointly owned or owned by someone else. Some of the leases would have been 999 year ones so it is a long standing arrangement. On the deeds thaey would use plans and diagrams, edged in red usually, to show what you had and where you were above or below someone and what walls were party walls.

There is one part of Compo's which is alongside Norah and Wally as they knock on the wall as a signal.

As previously stated I stayed in a house two doors up from Norah's which was simpler but still complex and have also known houses in Hebden Bridge and along the Calder Valley which have similar arrangements and definitely not straightforward.

Add to this the artistic licence from the production crew and untangling it is not easy.

Back