The Setting

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I don’t know how many of my Brit Brethren are familiar with the show Deadliest Catch. It airs on the Discovery Channel and is about crews crab fishing in the Bering Sea between Alaska and Russia. Fishermen battle giant waves, freezing sea spray, storms, and sometimes risk fishing in waters in danger of freezing. It became a very popular show and when fans were surveyed over what they liked best about the show wasn’t any one character. Instead, it was watching the Bering Sea itself. In the last couple of years I noticed various cable channels airing programs in unique and remote areas in the US and abroad. It seems like they are trying to showcase the settings more in these programs.

Now this brings me to Summer Wine. A few months back we had this really good debate over what was the most influential factor in Summer Wine’s success. Was it the actors and characters or the writing and directing? One unique trait that Summer Wine has is the setting; Holmfirth and the rolling hills of the Yorkshire Dales. Clearly, this adds to the quality and mystique of Summer Wine. I personally think Summer Wine has a fantasy feel. Seeing all these elderly guys run around and get into mischief is complimented by the beautiful scenery in the background.

So here are three questions worth debating.

1. How big of a factor to Summer Wine’s success is the setting compared the writing and acting?
2. Can you think of any other sitcom in which the setting was such an important part?
3. Also, would Summer Wine be just as good if it were to take place in a different setting, such as Scotland, Ireland, Wales, or another part of England such as Cornwall?

(Well, I know Chuck’s answer to that last one :)

The thing with that show Codfanglers (The Catch) is that it gives you a feel of how it must have been on The Arctic Convoys in WW2. I had a friend (long dead) who served and he refused to speak of it, it was so horrendous. :(:30:

I don't know the answer to #3. For my opinion of Question #1 would be about 25-30%. The fact that these men had the time to take the nature hikes makes the surroundings a lot more pleasant, and also gives the avenues for them to use the area for many of their tricks, inventions, and escapades. When we watch the show, my husband and I we sit back and cannot believe the way the women have such a thumb under their husbands. They make the comments about "yorkshire women" and them having set the rules for the household. Like when Nora was pleased to hear that Pearls love life was so-so , when they were talking outside of the cafe. That was the sign of a good marriage. How Pearl yanks Howard inside when she has caught in a lie. Not that what Howard was doing was okay, but she smiled very seldom, poor woman. I would hope that Clarke stretched the characteristics of the women , but I think I asked someone about that in another thread and they had mentioned them being pioneering women. When I worked in ST. Louis , Missouri for 6 months I had noticed a gruffness of the majority of women that I met and they said the same thing. When moving west across the Mississippi. I don't know the #'s but I believe over half that went west didn't make it. In that aspect of it, I would say it is very important. Scenery, history of the people who lived there. I wish I could answer 3.

#2 I think most shows mention the location and it helps show how the people live and why they act the way they do. I have seen Catch, was hooked on it for a few years. I enjoyed the relationship between Captain Phil and his sons. Phil died , and they had it part of the show. Showing the grief the boys went though. He decided he wanted to do that. I know they have had their troubles, and went their separate ways I believe, on different boats. Off the top of my head. Seinfeld, living in New York. My daughter went to NYC with school , and the kids were walking shoulder to shoulder 4 deep and strolling like kids do. She said a man came up behind a boy ,picked him up by shoulders , placed him to the side so he could walk on the sidewalk. Walking is way of transportation to a lot of people there. Time is money. That is my 2 cents.:32:

I think the scenery plays a big part of it.
If was filmed any other part of Britain would be just has good?
Yes, scenery wise because in all the places you mention there is amazing scenery but comedy wise? No, its the Northern humor that shines through.

If you get a chance watch Stella, its filmed in Wales and you will see some great scenery there too. Also Ireland has a great landscape, see Ballykissangle. For scotland see Hamish Macbeth.

I think for some its the scenery that makes the show and for others its the humor thats why its so popular I think it appeals to some many different people.

Question #3 - as in most aspects, go back to the writer, Roy Clarke. Wrote many brilliant scripts but was always at his best in his own land, Yorkshire. I do not think anyone can disagree that his two best were 'Last of the Summer Wine' and 'Open All Hours', both set in Yorkshire. 'Keeping Up Appearances' was also good but lacked the same depth and did not really come close to the first two.

The scenery could be replicated in many British settings but the characterisation needed Clarke's inherent knowledge of the Yorkshire psyche.

I think the scenery plays a big part of it.
If was filmed any other part of Britain would be just has good?
Yes, scenery wise because in all the places you mention there is amazing scenery but comedy wise? No, its the Northern humor that shines through.

If you get a chance watch Stella, its filmed in Wales and you will see some great scenery there too. Also Ireland has a great landscape, see Ballykissangle. For scotland see Hamish Macbeth.

I think for some its the scenery that makes the show and for others its the humor thats why its so popular I think it appeals to some many different people.

Yes Susan, I love Ballykissangel and I have seen Doc Martin and Vicar of Dibley. Scenery is part of those shows but it doesn't seem to be as big of a part of those shows as it is for Summer Wine.

Question #3 - as in most aspects, go back to the writer, Roy Clarke. Wrote many brilliant scripts but was always at his best in his own land, Yorkshire. I do not think anyone can disagree that his two best were 'Last of the Summer Wine' and 'Open All Hours', both set in Yorkshire. 'Keeping Up Appearances' was also good but lacked the same depth and did not really come close to the first two.

The scenery could be replicated in many British settings but the characterisation needed Clarke's inherent knowledge of the Yorkshire psyche.

OK, so it might not necessarily be the scenery itself but the culture of Yorkshire that impacts the show's success the most.

Try Hamish Macbeth, you find the Scottish scenery plays a big part in that one.

Well I start again! Not sure what I did but lost an entire paragraph of text. I need an anger smiley but we seem unable to place them in replies now.

Any way what I was writing was that it really is Roy's innate sense of the Yorkshire culture and mores that makes SW and All Hours what they are. He has a finely attuned ear for the speech patterns and flow of language which is not evident when he shifts location such as in Appearances.

First of all, it is much more pleasant to watch the men roll down hills in barrels, Howard proclaiming that he is bird watching with Marina, men walking up and down the hills, etc. than to watch men on roiling seas risking their lives to catch fish. Second of all, although definitely not a sitcom, the (UK) Antiques Roadshow gets my nomination for a show that has lovely backgrounds. All of the locations are most interesting and very fascinating.

Second of all, although definitely not a sitcom, the (UK) Antiques Roadshow gets my nomination for a show that has lovely backgrounds. All of the locations are most interesting and very fascinating.
Including the presenter Fiona Bruce :P :wink:

The scenery plays a big part in the show but its the cast and the writing that really makes the show .Hamish MacBeth was not brilliant the cast were not strong and the story lines deteriorated as the show progressed and I was pleased to see it finish.Our show had an exceptional writer and all his shows are still great to watch.

Back