The Till

Thanks for the sympathy, Captain Clutterbuck and RickAns. I'm just pleased to have survived sepsis and the kidney infection that caused it. The budget will recover in a few years and eventually I'll regain my health, as well. Then I'll go back to spending on a few luxuries like an induction cooktop.
And who knows, a slap up breakfast at Sids Cafe when you're well enough to travel :)

Hiyas @BruceC,

I guess I was not ready at that moment in time with the format of the show. Most things I had seen up until then had the format of a small group of main characters and a larger group of secondary cast members.

After several episodes of Dad's Army I couldn't figure out who the main characters where supposed to be. Plus other questions like 'Who was Dad from the show's title?" Who was the person calling them Dad? The second time viewing I just presumed there were no main characters within the large group of cast and that seemed to work for me.

Thankfully, our captain clutterbuck recently (many thanks) artfully explained that 'Dad's' from the title most likely came from the fact that the younger guys were already sent off to fight in the war and the older men were left to form up to defend England. Hence Dad's Army. I paraphrased what he said but I think the point gets across. On a related side note - much respect to all the land girls and ladies that did their part as well.

Needless to say, I may have taken a long and winding road around to get there but I arrived eventually at really liking Dad's Army. Looking to buy the DVD set to add to the collection. I have even started listening to the radio program spinoff It Sticks Out Half a Mile. Really liking that too.

I don't really remember hearing of Dad's Army until after I joined this website. Don't ever recall seeing it via the usual channels here in the States. I'm thinking also around the time I tried Dad's Army for the first time was shortly before getting the complete box set of Last of the Summer Wine. Until then I had not seen most of the LotSW shows and certainly not in any kind of order. Only what was available on Netflix DVD selection - maybe 6 DVDs altogether of LotSW. I think they only had the first series or two of Dad's Army.

A new to me box set of LotSW DVD's won out over watching any other shows at the time. Finally had the ability to see the entire series with specials and in order that they were broadcast. Not many other shows got a shoe-in until I watched the whole series. It wasn't until years later that I recently rediscovered Dad's Army, glad I did.

Hope that explains things a bit, probably a bit too verbose.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Hiyas @BruceC,

I guess I was not ready at that moment in time with the format of the show. Most things I had seen up until then had the format of a small group of main characters and a larger group of secondary cast members.

After several episodes of Dad's Army I couldn't figure out who the main characters where supposed to be. Plus other questions like 'Who was Dad from the show's title?" Who was the person calling them Dad?
Might have helped if they called it Dads' Army : )

Back