The White Horse

wstol

Dedicated Member
In a recent spot the episode quiz, I remarked how appealing The White Horse pub looked.

A lot of episodes were actually filmed inside the pub, with the owners of the time in cameo roles.

A lot more episodes were filmed in the studio, with a very similar set.

Eager to visit the pub, I looked it up on the internet. Like everywhere else, it's been totally refurbished. All the old features have been ripped out, and it's virtually unrecognisable inside.

I know things have to progress and move on, but everything is changing so fast, and can't be brought back.

I'm now not so keen to visit the pub.

All that history gone.

Should I really think like this, or should we get rid of everything that's old and replace it with non-descript modern stuff?

My profile pic was taken of me in The White Horse last summer and it still felt the same

I shared my frustrations earlier with the fact that things in the Holmfirth area seem to be changing to quick and here I am in the States with a tight budget, two little kids, and a wife in college. As much as I want to visit Holmfirth, I will not be in position to do so for a few years. Who knows what its going to be like then.

As for the White Horse, I am not a pub person by heart but it always looked very appealing to me (not just the inside but the outside surroundings). More than anything, I just want it to still be there in a few years!!!! Thanks for the information WSTOL.

Not been to the White Horse since they did the night shoot for the final series about 2 years ago and at that time it was still an OK pub,what I do recall is about 12 years ago on Christmas eve both my wife and I went down with flu, we had a terrible few days and it was not until New Years Day we both felt well enough to go out,we thought we would head to Holmfirth,then wandered to Jackson Bridge, it was about 1pm and the White Horse was open so we called in for some light refreshment,we were not going to stay long still feeling a little fragile and for more than one reason did not want alcohol, just before we decided to leave a group of men started to sing,just customers at the bar,well it was really good and they went more a less one song to another,next thing it was 8pm,how the time had flown and what an enjoyable afternoon, it sure made us feel a lot better
Terry

I think it was two years ago this Spring, maybe
April-May 2010, we walked over to Jackson Bridge.
The White Horse was at that time closed. There were
rumours of a sale. I believe that the daughter of the
then owners had been running the place for a time.

We walked a bit further to Butcher's Arms, then back
up to The Boot and Shoe in Scholes, both having
well-kept ales.

chuck

What was the time span of the White Horse being used as a setting for Summer Wine? An older episode where the gang didn't get along so well with the patrons was "Earnshaw Strikes Again". Was that the White Horse? Also, one of my favorite pub scenes is coming up on my station's Summer Wine rotation in "The Second Stag Night of Doggy Wilkinson". I believe that was the White Horse and I will get to confirm soon.

In terms of a pubs changing scenery, if the White Horse was being used all that time there must have been many interior changes during the course of the show.

As far as I can tell, The White Horse exterior was first used at the end of Getting Sam Home.

I have a picture of John Comer and Jane Freeman in costume inside the pub having a drink or meal during the making of this episode.

For much of series 8 straight after The White Horse is the pub the trio go to, I think all the interior scenes are studio sets, though carefully copied from the real pub.

Episodes like Uncle of the Bride and What's Santa Bought for Nora Then? show the real interior.

The pub was redecorated inside somewhere around 1992, but basically nothing else changed.

To me it looks a lot different inside now.

One of the dilemmas of life. I have to remind myself all that time that the only thing that stays constant is change. That's why the world turns, the seasons change and we have memories to remember what was.
We just happen to live in an age where by we can capture today and hold it in time and preserve it for a lifetime in film. This is a great invention but causes us to deal with the fact that change is the only thing we can't stop.

I just watched the second Stagg Night of Doggy Wilkinson. Is Butcher's Arms a separate pub? If so, where is it in relation to the white Horse?

Yes, the White Horse is just over the hill
from Holmfirth in Jackson Bridge. Just down the
road apiece from Jackson Bridge is the Butcher's
Arms in the next village of Hepworth. Up above both
is the Boot and Shoe in Scholes. All wonderful pubs.

Back