There'll be a Welcome in the Hillside...

MST3Claye

Dedicated Member
In the early episodes, when it seemed like the trio weren't getting hospitality or being welcomed in the Cafe, they'd break out into this song. I'd always get a chuckle when this happened. I've never heard this song before, till after I actually looked it up and listened to it.. I know it's a popular Welsh folk (or spiritual song). Just thought I'd mention it as one of the things that would give a chuckle from the show..

I know it's a popular Welsh folk (or spiritual song). Just thought I'd mention it as one of the things that would give a chuckle from the show..

I do believe that actually the words are:
"We'll keep a welcome in the hillside
We'll keep a welcome in the vales...."

Interestingly not one you hear at the Millennium Stadium on a match day.
There has always been a bit of controversy over it as explained by Welsh friends years ago. It seems it originated in Monmouthshire and to some Welsh, that county is really England (Henry V was born in Monmouth, hence Henry of Monmouth). But then again, I could be lying.

Often used on radio in "I'm sorry I'll read that again" which was well known for its puns - We'll kipper whelk come in the eel-side..... when they tried to achive the record for fish jokes in a minute!

Back