Throstlenest

Oregon Diane

Absolutely my favorite episode...sorry if the spelling is wrong. Even with the expansion of characters, they all seem to come together so well in this episode. Liz Fraser is so beautiful, and the guys rection to Compo's "Thursday" is perfect. So is Barry and his "mobile finger".
Once a year or so I watch the 3 "Elegy For Wellies" episodes, and I cry thru the 1st and 3rd ones, but this one os so funny, there are no tears at all.
Anyway, what lovely writing.
Cheers from Oregon

I agree, their reaction to Reggy is classic. I must admit to really liking that one.

Yes. The name Reggie here often refers to a big guy. All three are excellent episodes and for me, the really sad part is the credits when it only shows Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton.

For the sake of conversation I will refer to something I wrote about earlier since Diane mentions Liz Fraser. I am struck by the ending of this episode where the camera shows a prolonged close up of Liz Fraser. It seems there is something significant about this. So, any thoughts?

Liz Fraser only appeared in these episodes, correct? Is there any significance with her and a relation to the show?

I know she was in a couple of Carry Ons with Bill(Regardless and Cabby),That made her suitable casting for a love interest IMO.I don't know why the camera panned in on her though

I think I said before on another thread that I believe the long look was to signify what kind of life Compo could have had, it was there for the taking but chose not to. I also think it asks do you really know other people? We think we know someone, someone we have known for 30 odd years and in the end we didn't really know them at all.

I enjoyed this episode imagine if Compo had gone to live with Liz things would have been different ,it was a lovely setting for the farm anybody know exact location.

First saw Liz Fraser on a Miss Marple episode titled "Nemesis". When I saw
her on SW she was easily recognizable..even after so many years.
Lovely lady.

Liz Frazer has been around a long time and has been in many films etc nearly always as the sexy girlfriend good actress and a good looker.Only time I did not apreciate her was in the film of Dads Army as Mrs Pyke not having the regular actress was a big mistake but was a decision by Hollywood .Saw her just recently in Carry on Cabby with Sid James very good part for her and a funny film ,she still pops up occassionaly looking good.

I enjoyed this episode imagine if Compo had gone to live with Liz things would have been different ,it was a lovely setting for the farm anybody know exact location.

This was filmed at two different spots.

The far away shot of them driving to the farm, they were driving on Moss Edge Road near Brownhill Reservoir and Holmbridge.

The scene where they talk to Reggie is a residence on Cote Lane just above Holme Styes Reservoir.

Just watched this on Yesterday and I have to agree with you. It's brilliant in every way, and how childlike Barry is when chatting to the cyclist, not realising what he was doing. I understand what they meant, with short hair and thin body, clever writing from Roy yet again with Reggie being Regina, and the trio thinking it was a man. Yet another summer wine surname - Unsworth.

Watched it today you can see how it is two diferent places the first view going up to the farm looks like one they used a long time ago.

I vividly remember the first time I saw this episode. I was suprised Truly and Clegg never knew what Compo was up to on Thursdays until this time. I was under the impression Compo had been seeing his "lady Thursday" for quite some time, which would lead one to believe the other two had some idea as to his whereabouts. Anyway, a good bit of writing in this episode, and it was nice to see Compo's ferrets finding a good home.

I've been watching this episode too and i dont know if it has been mentioned anywhere but, how come in this episode, both Clegg and Nora recieved letters from Compo? I thought he was unable to write because in "Uncle Of The Bride" we clearly saw him put a cross when he had to sign for something. I relize the letters were to enable the ferrets to be taken to Throsttlenest and therefore introducing the audience to Reggie but.....

Not sure that he couldn't write, knowing Compo he proberly couldn't be bothered! :)

He could write, he wrote the signs to hold up to Nora´s window. Though his spelling wasn´t up to much, lol!

I've just looked up Liz Fraser on Wikipedia and she was born in 1930, which would have made her 70 yers old when she was in Last of the Summer Wine. In which case her looks were remarkable in that episode.
Am I correct?
Geoff :eek:

Back