Top 75 Yorkshire Icons

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
I see that the Dalesman magazine (75 years since it was established) has published the results of its survey about Yorkshire Icons. I think that the survey was mentioned in a thread some time ago but what the title was I can not recall.

However, Last of the Summer Wine has been voted into 37th place out of 75. Highest rated TV programme although the top spot went to Yorkshire Pudding followed by York Minster and the Dales.

Not that bad in a list which includes a lot of places and individuals as well as other items such as Whitby Jet for example.

I think LOSW has done a lot over the years to promote Yorkshire and not just Holmfirth

Not that bad in a list which includes a lot of places and individuals as well as other items such as Whitby Jet for example.

I'm glad to see Whitby Jet on the list. I have a pair of Whitby Jet earrings, purchased in Whitby from the shop that cuts and polishes the "stones", and sets them in various pieces of jewelry. Those earrings represent Whitby and the North York Moors for me.

sort of fitting its in 37th position seeing that's the number of years it was on the tv

I think I remember filling that out. Ran across is some how and even though not even in the Country , let alone not in Yorkshire:16:, I thought I would help out LOTSW;D

Checked out Witby Jet. I may have to look into those earrings you were talking about Index4u. Makes some beautiful jewelry.

Last edited:
Surely Sir Geofrey Boycot is the number one treasure in Yorks also Brian Robinson from Huddersfield who was first brit to win a stage in the Tour De France back when a non continental had a hard time racing over there.

Surely Sir Geofrey Boycot is the number one treasure in Yorks also Brian Robinson from Huddersfield who was first brit to win a stage in the Tour De France back when a non continental had a hard time racing over there.

Geoffrey Boycott is in the list - but it is people, places, fictional and real. Top person is Alan Bennett.

Back