Translation and definition needed

Marianna

Dedicated Member
Watching "Next Kiss, Please". At 6 minutes, 22 seconds, Compo says something that the closed caption renders "It's springtime in Cleggy". It sounds more as though he's saying something like "Clekky". Does this have any actual meaning?

Marianna

Cleckheaton was the first thing that came to mind, but I didn't know that it had a nickname.

Marianna

Cleckie would definitely be Cleckheaton, whereas Hecky would be Heckmondwike and so on. Often a lot of towns have a diminutive form: Wakie for Wakefield, Donny for Doncaster, Pontie for Pontefract but Cas for Castleford. Some do not but the pronunciation can be not as you might think. Bradford was typically pronounced Brat-forth, and Slaithwaite generally as Slough-it.

Cleckheaton, Heckmondwike and Liversedge are all in the Spen Valley and are next door to each other and only roadside signs tell you when you pass from one to the other. There used to be a word, Cleckheckmondsedge, to describe the three together.

http://www.spenboroughguardian.co.u...e-all-jealous-of-cleckheckmondsedge-1-1376597

gives a bit more detail.

Thanks, Brampot. I knew about the Slaithwaite pronunciation from hearing announcements on the railway platform at Marsden, but had never heard Bradford's.

In Northumberland, there are two towns on the same river; the one at the river's mouth is Alnmouth, pronuounced "Ahlen-muhth", the one a little way upstream is Alnwick, pronounced "An-ick". The first time I heard the Alnwick pronunciation, I didn't believe it because it was coming from a Suffolk native.

Marianna

Dolly tub

Would someone tell me what a dolly tub is? They mention it in "The Suit That Attracts Blonde". I thought maybe it was a hand washer.

Its wooden barrel shaped tub and a wooden pole with a what looks like a small stool at the end. It was used to wash cloths in.

Watching "Destiny and Six Bananas". Foggy has a dart and says it has a sleeping med. In the dart but it is obvious, do to the audience's reaction, that it was a strange thing to use for sleep. Will someone tell me what it was. Sounded like Phornix.

Back