UK copper pair landline a thing of the past - at last!

Reading the Article this comment
"And unless moving to a different part of the country, most people will retain the same phone number"

With VOIP it should not matter where you are with regards to the phone number, Tony and I know folk in Europe using UK numbers, personally I have been using VOIP for 15 years, and earlier this year managed to dump my old landline number and just use naked broadband, which will change once fibre to the home is available and the copper wire will then be redundant.

I can honestly say that I only personally know one person that still has a landline. I got rid of mine about 25 years ago when the kids started racking up bills by ringing mobiles! It was flaming expensive back then.

I will have to watch developments. My landline is nescessary for my alarm call system in case I take ill .:confused2:

VOIP has been quite common in businesses for a long time progression to Joe Public has been slow glad to see that glimmer of light at the end of the Tunnel that'll be the Fibre light source :08:

We still have a landline phone which I insist people use, such as the dentist, doctors etc, even when they try to go online. We're also not people who are on thier phones 24/7. We don't use our mobiles unless we are out of the house, which is only about half a day a week, even then they only get very limited use. We do have the internet, but we really limit our daily time online. Without a landline, we could miss important messages.

We still have a landline although I imagine at some point it will be fiber optic based instead of copper pair.

We still have a landline phone which I insist people use, such as the dentist, doctors etc, even when they try to go online. We're also not people who are on thier phones 24/7. We don't use our mobiles unless we are out of the house, which is only about half a day a week, even then they only get very limited use. We do have the internet, but we really limit our daily time online. Without a landline, we could miss important messages.
I have found that everyone automatically thinks that your phone is a cell phone (mobile) and it is within arms reach at all times. NOT!! When we watched Captain Kirk whip out his "communicator" and speak to someone, who would have thunk that that "communicator" would become a normal thing and everybody now walks around talking, texting, or otherwise engaged intently with their cell phone (mobile).

I have found that everyone automatically thinks that your phone is a cell phone (mobile) and it is within arms reach at all times. NOT!! When we watched Captain Kirk whip out his "communicator" and speak to someone, who would have thunk that that "communicator" would become a normal thing and everybody now walks around talking, texting, or otherwise engaged intently with their cell phone (mobile).

Well, since the covid lockdown, most businesses and public or medical services have started going online or on mobile apps, some of them without offering an alternative. It just doesn't work for us.

Back