Vera in a Comedy

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Brenda Blethyn star in a comedy titled Katie and Koji, I had never heard of this and it was shown on ITV, wondered if any members watched it back in 2020

Yes watch a couple of episodes but it was total rubbish! I found it very unfunny and quite annoying. I'm a huge Brenda Blethyn fan so was most disappointed. She was good in some comedies, Outside Edge was brilliant.

She was also in an old '80s British Sitcom with Simon Callow called "Chance in a Million".
Not to everyone's taste I suspect, but I quite enjoyed it. She plays a VERY different, almost opposite, character to Vera. BTW I DON'T like or watch Vera, but the boss loves it.!

Know it was your day job Brian so does that impact on watching it or simply you just don't like it after watching an episode?
Not really Captain. I watch SOME cop shows, not many but in this case (Stand by to be offended!!) its her voice! That accent at that pitch goes straight through me! I have caught bits and pieces when the boss is watching and the dialogue and voice frankly make me want to throw something at the screen in an effort to shut her up.
No comment is intended on the show itself, not having watched it I can't really say if it is good or bad, I simply cannot get past that horrible voice ON THAT SHOW......doesn't necessarily follow that I have that reaction to the accent in general.

As North East accents go it's not overly bad, I'm very sensitive to the accent as my parents were from " up home " theres the odd word I cringe at but I've heard a hell of a lot worse. There was one actor who sounded more Welsh than Geordie, that's when the remote finds it's way out of my hand and heading to the telly.

Phew as a Geordie glad you don't despise the accent totally . I agree,to an extent, her voice does grate from time to time but I look beyond that because the show is well written , if you park the show and get a chance to read Anne Cleeves books I am sure you would enjoy them . :)

No general offence was intended re ANY accent. I am aware of many accents around Britain and America and the rest of the world, some sound OK to me while others don't. It is basically due to what people grew up with and around. I grew up firstly in Scotland and secondly in Australia, neither of these countries have what one would call a "sophisticated" accent. (I am aware of the Posh Edinburgh accent..my Mother and Grandmother both had it) This does not necessarily make them "bad", just what I am used to.
As another example of a grating accent which I think most people would agree with is Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins! Not knocking the accent in general, but DEFINITELY knocking THAT PARTICULAR portrayal of it!

^^>:^^>:^^>: Dont hit me....I bruise easily!!! LOL ^^>:^^>:^^>:

As for the Anne Cleeves books, I haven't read any, but am aware of them and I really liked the Shetland TV series (well up to the most recent without Perez. I tried to watch episode 1 of it but didn't even make it halfway through and that was on FAST FORWARD!

Speaking of accents my in laws had very broad Irish accents especially the mother in law, could not understand a word that woman said which was probably just as well because most of the time she swearing at me.

Brenda Blethyn star in a comedy titled Katie and Koji, I had never heard of this and it was shown on ITV, wondered if any members watched it back in 2020

Is that the one set in a cafe?

If so, I did see it. Like an old fashioned sitcom - so not bad.

Back