When the town was on LOTSW

Adanor

Dedicated Member
Just finished watching Stop the Castle and I am truly amazed that the entire town of Holmfirth (and surrounding towns and villages) turned out to be in this episode. And there were lots of other episodes which featured various groups like various Silver Bands, groups of kids, and townspeople in general who all seems to be very enthusiastic and totally involved. And of course the most moving episode which involved the townspeople was that episode concerning the passing of Compo in which the kids in white moon suits spelled out "See Ya Compo" on the hillside.

Just finished watching Stop the Castle and I am truly amazed that the entire town of Holmfirth (and surrounding towns and villages) turned out to be in this episode. And there were lots of other episodes which featured various groups like various Silver Bands, groups of kids, and townspeople in general who all seems to be very enthusiastic and totally involved. And of course the most moving episode which involved the townspeople was that episode concerning the passing of Compo in which the kids in white moon suits spelled out "See Ya Compo" on the hillside.

Sorry Adanor but except for the opening credits Holmfirth did not appear much in the episode at all,the cafe was in the studio and the bulk of the castle scenes were in Marsden,when they marched it was all Marsden,Terry

Sorry Adanor but except for the opening credits Holmfirth did not appear much in the episode at all,the cafe was in the studio and the bulk of the castle scenes were in Marsden,when they marched it was all Marsden,Terry

Oh, poo . . well where is Marsden situated to Holmfirth. Terry? And, Adanor said 'kids' were in those overalls. Is that true?

I loved it when they used the townspeople in Greenfinger.

Oh, yes, Beth. I look forward to it. Tis silly, I know, but I love looking out for the grandma pulling the li'l boy from around the back of a group of villagers talking. . .as the boys are leaving . . you can just imagine her saying, Here, Eric, come round this side where I can see you. Do ya know which I mean?

Oh, poo . . well where is Marsden situated to Holmfirth. Terry? And, Adanor said 'kids' were in those overalls. Is that true?

Marsden is not that far from Holmfirth, about 8 miles. It had the advantage of a canal and a railway line and the famous 'packhorse' bridge is not far from Marsden.

Seems a shame that Holmfirth gets all the publicity but the bulk of the filming qaa in Marsden. Exterior shots of the cafe and Norah and Compos being main contributions although soem shops in earlier epsiodes featured and the library exterior was also the Holmfirth Methodist Church Hall.

Seems a shame that Holmfirth gets all the publicity but the bulk of the filming qaa in Marsden.

Careful there. Be sure about which series you mean. Most of the
early series were filmed mostly in Holmfirth. Many of the long
scenes were shot off Cliff Bank down over the village. The Cafe
was in H'firth. Nora and Compo lived in H'firth. The early scenes
where Clegg, Howard, and Pearl lived were shot up near Cliff
Bank in H'firth. The library (remember ... the Library Mob???)
is in H'firth.

I realize that much as shot in Marsden, and lots in Jackson
Bridge as well. But this lovely program began in Holmfirth.
(I think that some was moved out due to the congestion
it caused.)

Back