Who's your favorite character?

Marina'sTwin

Dedicated Member
So I searched for a thread about favorite characters and couldn't find one so I thought I'd start one real quick while I'm drinking a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon because my mom won't let me turn the bottle up, like I was originally going to do! Lol

Anyway, my favorite character is obviously Marina just because I see a lot of myself in her. She's different from all the other ladies on the show and she doesn't seem to be afraid to be herself, which is definitely me. I also like how she dresses. My boyfriend wants me to dress like her and I've agreed to let him buy me some skirts but I have to try them on first and I have to feel comfortable in them. They're not going to be that short, I can tell you that right now! Lol I also like how she does her hair and makeup and she definitely knows how to accessorize! I just find her to be really cool so that's why I like her!

So who's your favorite character and why?

Mine has to be Compo, as he seems to be the only male character who's not henpecked by a domineering spouse and genuinely seems comfortable in his own skin. He also has that amazing skill of always living in the moment which we should all try and do more! He's also continually optimistic, be it about his chances with Nora or his next horse being a big winner. The only thing I'd struggle with being Compo is always been skint....

Yeah, Compo is cool too! I was annoyed by him when I was watching it with my mom as a kid, I don't know why, but as an adult, I appreciate his character more for the reasons you stated. I think he's kind of the personification of the saying "growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional", which makes him cool.

My runner-up would be Foggy. For me, most of Summer Wine's absolute finest episodes come from Foggy eras. The character himself is purely the funniest.

Although, I always have to vote for Truly. After the first few seasons, he developed this cool, calm, and collective persona and always seemed in perfect control when there was often madness around him. His personality and that of the barmpots around him made a perfect combination. His outfit also added to this persona.

Hi Marina‘s twin :)
This time last year,in the section Let’s have some Summerwine fun,there is a thread called Top ten favourite characters.
Lots of members listed their ten favourite characters,and at the end I scored them all Eurovision style (ten points to the first choice,nine points to the second choice etc down to one point for the members tenth favourite character) and I posted the final results,which gives you this forums favourite characters this time last year,I’m sure you’ll find Marina on the list.
Give it a look and it will give you some idea,and if you can think of your top ten,or anyone else that wants to vote,I can add the points and update the final results on this thread.
Hope you’re doing alright.
Chuffer.

Last edited:
Foggy and Truly are both cool! Out of the two of them, I think Foggy was the funniest, but I liked Truly's personality too!

And Douglas, I must not have seen that thread but that sounds awesome! I'll have a look at it when I have a second to myself. I woke up to a bunch of friends texting me and I was like "Guys, at least wait until I've had my coffee!" Lol

As usual, I'm going to be independent. My favorite character is Alvin. Roy Clarke wrote a very likeable character, and Brian Murphy played the part absolutely convincingly.

I think Alvin was funny too. His interactions with Nora made me laugh! Lol I'm not a big fan of Nora (don't hurt me! Lol) but she did have some really funny interactions with her neighbors!

Foggy and Truly are both cool! Out of the two of them, I think Foggy was the funniest, but I liked Truly's personality too!

And Douglas, I must not have seen that thread but that sounds awesome! I'll have a look at it when I have a second to myself. I woke up to a bunch of friends texting me and I was like "Guys, at least wait until I've had my coffee!" Lol
For me, Foggy may be the single funniest character and was part of most of the top episodes.

Truly was a great compliment to the expanded cast of barmpots in the later seasons.

I was talking to my mom and asked who her favorite character was and she said she liked Edie because she related to her, having a close relationship with her daughters like Edie had with Glenda. I was like "Aw! I like having a close relationship with you too, mom!" Then she said she also liked Marina because she accidentally raised two Marinas! Lol I'll admit my sister and I are a lot like Marina but I'm objecting to the "accidentally" part, that implies she didn't know we'd turn out to be really awesome and confident women who aren't afraid to be ourselves! Lol

I was talking to my mom and asked who her favorite character was and she said she liked Edie because she related to her, having a close relationship with her daughters like Edie had with Glenda. I was like "Aw! I like having a close relationship with you too, mom!" Then she said she also liked Marina because she accidentally raised two Marinas! Lol I'll admit my sister and I are a lot like Marina but I'm objecting to the "accidentally" part, that implies she didn't know we'd turn out to be really awesome and confident women who aren't afraid to be ourselves! Lol
Edie thought the Glenda was a little too racy at times, so goodness knows how she would have coped if Marina was her daughter!!!!!!

Back