Words from yesteryear

WellyMan

Dedicated Member
The insults in SW got me thinking, what words do you remember from the past which have gone out of use? Berk and pillock are two that spring to mind.

We use to say food was bomb when it was really good and now we say it's bussin. Like, the other day I tried a new Starbucks drink and I told mom "This is straight bussin, no cap!" (Translation: This is really delicious, I'm not lying) And she was like "I know it was English but I didn't understand any of it." Lol That's happened more than once.

Edit: We also use to say "talk to the hand" when we didn't want to listen to someone. And we would say things were rad when we wanted to say they were awesome. Mom said groovy is a word they use to use when she was growing up. Lol I'm definitely showing both my age and my mom's age talking about words we use to use! Lol

Last edited:
This is an insult that's kind of unique to the southern part of America, it's "Bless your heart" and it means "You're an idiot" lol My generation has our own version of it, we just say "Bless it" and it means the same thing! Lol

Herbert is an insult often used in LOTSW as in "tatty herbert" or "dozy herbert" usually directed at Compo. It's not something you hear anymore.
Funnily enough not used in the Truly years as his rarely used forename was also this!

There are quite a few I couldn't show here as they would get me booted off the site, usually referring to physical or mental deficiencies. However, at school I was regularly called "four-eyes", don't think I've heard that recently... or are you just saying behind my back?

When I was a kid, if you saw someone wearing trousers that were too short, you would say 'has your cat died?' It was meant as an insult but I never figured out the connection.

Back