Your Favourite Episode...

theatrically_inclined

Dedicated Member
In my "Summer Wine Decanted" video series on YouTube, I did a lot of talking.

Now, I think it is time for you to say something! There are lots of threads on here about favourite Summer Wine episodes, so I would like to invite you - any of you - to have a chat with me for some future videos. It does not matter where you are in the world, in fact it would be really interesting to hear from the perspective of non-UK based members.

If you live near-ish to me we can meet in person, or if you're a bit further away - including international - we can use a video chat, at a time to suit you - I'm a bit of a night owl anyway!

You can reply here if you are interested, you don't need to tell me anything about the episode yet - or you can start a new conversation on the site message system.

Don't be shy! I will make it as painless as possible - it is not going to be shown live, so if you forget what you're... ... we can do that bit again!

Thanks!

A very tough call but I'm going to go with the Milennium special Last Post & Pigeon with the following reasoning:

First of all, there's the complete sadness that this episode features the very last filming by Bill Owen. He looks noticeably ill but through Alan's creative genius and Bill's determination to see it through we get a wonderful portrayal that is fully rounded by our favourite 'scruffy little Herbert.' His instinct of comedy is there to the end and I challenge anyone not to shed a tear with him at the end.

Secondly we get a good use of the extended cast with the villagers all making valuable contributions. Keith Clifford's Billy is worldly wiser than normal and gives a good connection through the episode along with the by now obligatory overbearing vicar. The Howard love triangle isn't overplayed and fits well into the plot. The Pegdens expand and in a heartfelt way giving them depth hitherto unexplored although having no mention of Seymour strikes an odd note. They all rally round and ensure Compo gets his trip after his big let down with Nora being feisty in his favour.

The very brief scene with our trio on the bicycles and drunk evokes the very best of childhood joy in an adult world and is daft as it is glorious.

Seeing a French Compo and also them being kicked out of their hotel for raucous behaviour so that Clegg of all people can make sure 'his' bird is ok is both touching and hilarious.

When I see Dunkirk and it's environs I am instantly transported to Oostende, the place I had many a great family holiday with my late father and I can't help but smile at all those memories tied in indirectly. I was actually on a scout camp when the news was broke to me about Bill passing. Knowing this was his last work brings to me a wonderful closure to the character with the following three episodes that open the following series equally in place just before it.

Perspective from someone from across the pond who knows about Summer Wine thanks to Maryland Public Television.

Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty may have the absolute funniest scenes with Wally and Nora in the kitchen and then the guys attempting to get her shoe size. (Another side note- Mysterious Feet followed by Keeping Britain Tidy might be the best sequence of episodes)

From beginning to end, it may be the Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper. I would have LOVED to be boarding with the guys! Although, I haven't seen it for a while and I might be getting some scenes mixed up with Cheering Up Gordon.

I concur with my American friend !!! [CODFANGLERS !!!].....
"Mysterious Feet" is the perfect episode.....from the pub scene "I'M WRONG AGE FOR GOING STERILE"....to the "pigeon scene"....."IV'E RAISED HER FROM AN EGG !!!...SHE'S MY PIGEON !!!".....to our scruffy hero's face contorted with lust thinking about Nora in her nighty "OOOOOOOHHHH...I CAN'T STAND IT !!!".......AND....... I also agree with Codfanglers that Keeping Britain Tidy is an exceptional follow on......from the wonderful Brian Glover [Oggy Butterclough] to the our Crusher's first appearance and Wally exclaiming "HUMAN BEINGS !!!!......WE DON'T GET MANY OF THEM " when he saw Compo,Cleggy,Foggy and Ogden.......2 absolutely flawless episodes !!!.
X!

I concur with my American friend !!! [CODFANGLERS !!!].....
"Mysterious Feet" is the perfect episode.....from the pub scene "I'M WRONG AGE FOR GOING STERILE"....to the "pigeon scene"....."IV'E RAISED HER FROM AN EGG !!!...SHE'S MY PIGEON !!!".....to our scruffy hero's face contorted with lust thinking about Nora in her nighty "OOOOOOOHHHH...I CAN'T STAND IT !!!".......AND....... I also agree with Codfanglers that Keeping Britain Tidy is an exceptional follow on......from the wonderful Brian Glover [Oggy Butterclough] to the our Crusher's first appearance and Wally exclaiming "HUMAN BEINGS !!!!......WE DON'T GET MANY OF THEM " when he saw Compo,Cleggy,Foggy and Ogden.......2 absolutely flawless episodes !!!.
X!
That short period of time when the four were in Wally and Nora's house was intense! :D

At least I'm consistent! My favorite episode is still the pilot - Of Funerals and Fish. Last Post and Pidgeon comes in second.

The pilot is a thorough introduction to the characters, the concept, and the setting. It captivated my imagination, and it has never let go. Last Post ... gave Bill Owen more dramatic scope than usual, and he carried it off despite being terminally ill.

Back