The Swan Man of Ilkley

This is the cricket pitch and pavilion from Beware Of Laughing at Noras Hats,its just where Clegg and Truly are walking towards on the earlier photo,it's right next to the Sands Recreation Ground and it sits between Huddersfield Road and Summervale

8th%20dec%20011_zpsx9djecqv.jpg
8th%20dec%20031_zpsngtwy3jr.jpg
8th%20dec%20010_zpsz1gzhllc.jpg
8th%20dec%20016_zpskd8tbgvf.jpg

Here is Clegg and Truly on the bridge at Sands Recreation Ground off Huddersfield Road at Holmfirth,its from the episode The Mischievous Tinkle in Howards Eyes,the third photo is the view they would see from the bridge,looking down at the River Holme,and the football pitch to the left
8th%20dec%20008_zpshiac2ebs.jpg
8th%20dec%20015_zpspkqimigx.jpg
8th%20dec%20017_zpsgtzbjopc.jpg

Hello Pete,

Great pics again thank you once again for taking the time out to take them . I have just dug out the map I got from the Tourist Information Office in Holmfirth itself ,which is on the A6024 Huddersfield Road . Going towards Huddersfield on their map it has Bridge and Wood Lane marked along with Holmfirth Baths and the cricket ground so where is the bridge in the context of those locations because if its close they are missing a trick. They could have easily put that and any other locations of LOTSW interest on their map , which to be fair is what sells the town to most visitors. All they have marked is Nora's /Compo's and the Cafe which to me shows little invention and they could better inform visitors by including such locations on their map.

When I was in the chap in charge said please feel free to mail them if I was going back and staying over and they would help me find accommodation . If we could add to their map I would be more than happy to point out the locations [making sure anyone who provides the information gets the credit with the TI] , given what we believe that a lot of the visitors are there for LOTSW it would surely help the TI be more informative . Thank you in advance for any information

This is Station Road in Holmfirth,the episode is The Phantom of the Graveyard,the building directly facing is the PC shop where the web cam is placed,with the park to its right
8th%20dec%20003_zpswjk9prmk.jpg
8th%20dec%20020_zps5p9cx3vx.jpg

Hello Pete,

Great pics again thank you once again for taking the time out to take them . I have just dug out the map I got from the Tourist Information Office in Holmfirth itself ,which is on the A6024 Huddersfield Road . Going towards Huddersfield on their map it has Bridge and Wood Lane marked along with Holmfirth Baths and the cricket ground so where is the bridge in the context of those locations because if its close they are missing a trick. They could have easily put that and any other locations of LOTSW interest on their map , which to be fair is what sells the town to most visitors. All they have marked is Nora's /Compo's and the Cafe which to me shows little invention and they could better inform visitors by including such locations on their map.

When I was in the chap in charge said please feel free to mail them if I was going back and staying over and they would help me find accommodation . If we could add to their map I would be more than happy to point out the locations [making sure anyone who provides the information gets the credit with the TI] , given what we believe that a lot of the visitors are there for LOTSW it would surely help the TI be more informative . Thank you in advance for any information
Hi captain:17:I always park my car on Bridge Lane next to the fire station and the Co-op,opposite Bridge Lane is Wood Lane and the AA Summerwine walk takes you up there,if you come out of Bridge Lane and walk along Huddersfield Road away from Holmfirth you will soon see the Nora's Hats cricket pitch on your right,immediatly after the cricket pitch also on your right is a sign and path for the pool and literally next to the pool and football pitch is the bridge,you can walk to the bridge from the main road,or from the pool,in under a minute,there are so many places that Summerwine fans would recognise that aren't on any maps,its such a shame that most fans that visit the town don't realise they can go stand on the bridge which is so close by but just not mentioned at all,thanks for your post,hope you are well.

I agree ferret,while ever the café is there and remains like it is the heartbeat of the show will go on,I can't imagine how I'd feel if it closed or became a shop or just wasn't there,it's one of those places that we all take for granted but would miss so much if it wasn't there,it was empty nearly all day,I do hope it continues for a long time,if any of us visit Holmfirth please call in and help it continue x

I had lunch there one day in late September, and it was so crowded at about noon that I sat at one of the tables outside. (It was a very good meal, too!)

Here is Howard walking along the River Holme behind the Co-op in Holmfirth,and Marina with Miss Davenport,from the episode Eva's Back in Town
8th%20dec%20002_zpsg99dlck4.jpg
8th%20dec%20018_zpsy0dl995q.jpg
8th%20dec%20001_zpsdz1l6ywl.jpg
8th%20dec%20019_zpshfrvndfx.jpg

Here is Foggy Compo and Cleg assisting Howard in his brightly coloured clothes up Daisy Lane,from the episode Phantom of the Graveyard,at the bottom of Daisy Lane is Station Road

8th%20dec%20004_zpsgz89tqug.jpg
8th%20dec%20021_zpseifrh5ya.jpg

Continuing on in Phantom of the Graveyard,these are the steps on Daisy Lane that they hid Howard from Marina
8th%20dec%20006_zpspxddlj6o.jpg
8th%20dec%20025_zpsfg2fgbwm.jpg

Hello Pete,

The path where Howard and Marina/Miss Davenport are walking is that also where Marina has Hobbo by the arm when he is dressed as a spy in the long leather coat, trilby , glasses and false beard. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

I saw that Stella had put a Christmas Wreath on Nora's door today,the railings are looking a little overgrown though
8th%20dec%20028_zpsmotuopre.jpg
8th%20dec%20029_zpsxmql8cbm.jpg

Hi Captain yes it is,they've filmed countless scenes there.My favourite scene that they filmed there,and one of my favourite ever,is by the tree where I took the photo,and I always stop at the tree and pause while I think of it,it's where Compo gives Nora the "Full Magnetism",I put a then and now post of it up some time back,its the scene where he gets his lines wrong and they keep it in,when he says to Nora "Tha's a man and I'm a Woman".I will never walk along this lane without stopping and thinking of that.

Hi captain:17:I always park my car on Bridge Lane next to the fire station and the Co-op,opposite Bridge Lane is Wood Lane and the AA Summerwine walk takes you up there,if you come out of Bridge Lane and walk along Huddersfield Road away from Holmfirth you will soon see the Nora's Hats cricket pitch on your right,immediatly after the cricket pitch also on your right is a sign and path for the pool and literally next to the pool and football pitch is the bridge,you can walk to the bridge from the main road,or from the pool,in under a minute,there are so many places that Summerwine fans would recognise that aren't on any maps,its such a shame that most fans that visit the town don't realise they can go stand on the bridge which is so close by but just not mentioned at all,thanks for your post,hope you are well.
A bit further up the road is the Holme Valley campsite where we have camped. As you enter the site you can walk down a path on the left that leads to another bridge I'm sure has been used in the show. The famous fake telephone box has also been set up down this lane as well as some filming on the campsite grass next to the river.

I saw that Stella had put a Christmas Wreath on Nora's door today,the railings are looking a little overgrown though
8th%20dec%20028_zpsmotuopre.jpg
8th%20dec%20029_zpsxmql8cbm.jpg

Yes that ivy and cotoneaster could do with a trim, it could do with a bit of a tidy down that lane.

That's good to hear Marianna,hope you had a great time :)

I had a lovely time, thank you. Four nights at The Rooms At The Nook, clear weather every day. Spent the days following in the first trio's footsteps around town and making photos, as well as chatting with local folks who approached me because they wondered what I was finding interesting-enough about a particular scene to want to make a photo of it.

Prior to those four nights, I had three nights at the Central Lodge in Huddersfield, partly for its easy transport to Marsden. I spent a couple of hours there strolling and making photos of Summer Wine locations, then walked along the canal to Standedge Tunnel for the boat ride part of the way into the tunnel, with a guide describing the tunnel-building process.

When I've made time to edit the photos, I'll post some of them to the forum.

Sometimes things change that you don't expect to,when I saw Howard walking along this path in Victoria Park,from the episode How To Remove a Cousin I recognised it immediately,but it looked so different today,to pinpoint a location I sometimes look at rocks,but they've moved them,and they've pulled up the bushes,I know it's the right place because I know the path,and the clump of trees with the single tree behind are still there,but the Council have made some big changes in the park

8th%20dec%20007_zpse4qblslm.jpg
8th%20dec%20036_zpskfswuukd.jpg

I had a lovely time, thank you. Four nights at The Rooms At The Nook, clear weather every day. Spent the days following in the first trio's footsteps around town and making photos, as well as chatting with local folks who approached me because they wondered what I was finding interesting-enough about a particular scene to want to make a photo of it.

Prior to those four nights, I had three nights at the Central Lodge in Huddersfield, partly for its easy transport to Marsden. I spent a couple of hours there strolling and making photos of Summer Wine locations, then walked along the canal to Standedge Tunnel for the boat ride part of the way into the tunnel, with a guide describing the tunnel-building process.

When I've made time to edit the photos, I'll post some of them to the forum.
That sounds wonderful Marianna,what a great time it sounds like you had,I would love to see those photos x

My last photos from today,then back to work.From the episode Welcome to Earth,Nora being accosted by Compo by Daisy Lane books,and Nora by the steps on Daisy Lane where Foggy Compo and Clegg hid Howard from Marina in Phantom of the Graveyard
8th%20dec%20013_zps68jrylgn.jpg
8th%20dec%20030_zpslltbs8sn.jpg
8th%20dec%20012_zpskritbhhz.jpg
8th%20dec%20024_zps1xcfd2cp.jpg

Back