Where are u all from

thomas1984

Does many of you on here live close to holmfirth

I'm from Grantham Lincolnshire
Takes me a 1 hour and 50 min ish away

I am a good 120 miles away in the sunny south (its freezing today) only up the M1 so not a long trip.

I am Dutch, living in Almere at the bottom of a former sea. My job is in Amsterdam

When watching LOSW I need the subtitles page 888 on Ceefax to understand the Yorkshire accent...
In the last century , a long time ago, before we got married, we camped with a tent at the Holme Valley Camping near Brockholes.
Walked from there towards the White Horse in Jackson Bridge and back, cycled around like Howard and Marina.
Riding with a bike on the left side of the road is not my idea...
We had our first appointment with Terry at Sid's cafe that holiday I think it was in 1995 ???

I live in Northern Ireland, approx 10 miles from Belfast towards the east coast so Holmfirth is quite a bit away from me.

Hector

I am Dutch, living in Almere at the bottom of a former sea. My job is in Amsterdam

When watching LOSW I need the subtitles page 888 on Ceefax to understand the Yorkshire accent...
In the last century , a long time ago, before we got married, we camped with a tent at the Holme Valley Camping near Brockholes.
Walked from there towards the White Horse in Jackson Bridge and back, cycled around like Howard and Marina.
Riding with a bike on the left side of the road is not my idea...
We had our first appointment with Terry at Sid's cafe that holiday I think it was in 1995 ???

Those were the days Gerrit and the fun we had

I am across the pond in the Washington DC suburbs. When I finally achieve my goal in visiting Yorkshire I am thinking of letting the forum members here know. Maybe I could meet a few of you local members at the White Horse.

I am not much of a beer drinker, although I am fond of New Castle Brown Ale.

If you do get over there, you will soon find out that
Newkie Brown comes nowhere near RamTam,
Old Peculiar, or Riggwelter. Those are proper ales.

But before you make the trip, ask some of us from the
US where we fly into, where we drive to, where we
stay, and what we see when we travel about. And
which pubs we favor!!

I live in Poole, Dorset.
I've had vacations in Holmfirth or nearby towns three times so far.
We love to eat in the Victoria Hotel (by the Victoria Bridge), and we have stayed in the hotel on one visit.
Great place, but Holmfirth isn't so marvellous when it's pouring with rain.

We're in Holmfirth :).... Our Exhibition opening room is Compo's house and the shop is at the bottom of Nora's Steps :)

And it's true, Holmfirth is not marvellous pouring with rain in the winter months. Lovely in summer though!

I loved the second-hand bookshop around the corner at Nora's house and near Sid's cafe, up the stairs.
Do they still exist?

Only 30 miles or possibly even 25 but still in the Pennines in another typically Yorkshire stone built town ....

One of it's tourist attractions was the setting for one of the episodes however

I live about 11 miles north of Cardiff in South Wales, so I am not really on the doorstep of Holmfirth. I really plan on going there sometime this year though.

If you do get over there, you will soon find out that
Newkie Brown comes nowhere near RamTam,
Old Peculiar, or Riggwelter. Those are proper ales.

But before you make the trip, ask some of us from the
US where we fly into, where we drive to, where we
stay, and what we see when we travel about. And
which pubs we favor!!

Thanks for the info Chuck,
You hve already proven helpful as I read your other post about Springfield House. It all looks appealing. However, I won't get there anytime soon. I will ask around in this forum when the time comes. I would likely visit the London area where my wife's friends are, but i would like to take a two day excursion with a rental car up to Holmfirth.

Meanwhile, while I stay in the states, I will look for imported Ram Tam, Old Peculiar, or Riggwelter.

Back