British Restaurants or Cafes

C

Compo

As a tourist in London once a year, I see all these restaurants like junk food places plus Chinese and Indian like we are discussing at the moment. But where are the restaurants that sell British. Yes I know you can find Fish n Chips everywhere but there must be more to it than just this. I would love to go and sit down and have a decent british meal. There is a chain shop around called Cornish pastries. But it is only a window shop, you cannot sit down and enjoy with a cuppa.

Places that sell good old fashioned British food are hard to find. We tend to go to Garden Centres. They all have a restaurant these days and the food is mostly good and relatively cheap. Pubs used to be the place for a snack meal, but they seem to have all gone 'up market'. One of my biggest gripes is, why oh why, do I have to be given a great heap of limp lettuce leaves and one piece of tomato with a sandwhich? Answer of course they can then charge me twice as much.

You need to find a small independent catering establishment (shades of Sid and Ivy here): Many good, some less so.

As already said garden centres often are good places - excellent one in Harden (near Bingley).

Excellent cafe in Bingley that does a fresh (and I mean fresh) scone and tea/coffee for £2.50; also brilliant breakfasts. Also there is a long established tea room between Cullingworth and Denholme, situated at an independent baker's establishment - there is a huge window so you can see some of the cakes being made!

I have not given names as only relevant to those living in the Keighley local area - but I only found these by trial and error and a lot of time! I think they can be found but it is not easy and all of the ones mentioned are 'one offs.

I am thinking of putting out a booklet entitled "A barmpot's guide to eating in West Yorkshire and nearby" as I have kept a note of all the places I visit and note price, service, quality and other features (such as toilets that do not work or short on essentials!)

Try The Fleece up in Holme, esp on Sunday.

Old Bridge was good, but have not been since it changed.

Black Sheep brewery does a good carvery.

I live in Surrey so I can't help much with your guide, but there is a garden centre in the village of Shelley which is excellent for snacks as well as having a glorious view. I am not sure if it comes in West Yorkshire, or if it is too far up.

So these places do exist after all. They should be around touristic places. It is crazy to walk around London and see foreign foods. The latest craze in London is Sushi. Believe me these places are side by side and not streets away from each other.

So these places do exist after all. They should be around touristic places. It is crazy to walk around London and see foreign foods. The latest craze in London is Sushi. Believe me these places are side by side and not streets away from each other.

Very much so up here, not sure of what it is like elsewhere in the country. But, it is a case of doing your own research.

As an example, found an excellent place in Todmorden, went two or three times, next time closed then shut altogether! But one previously visited and marked down as poor turned out to have either new owner or much better staff and so is now on my list of preferred eating establishments. Each chnage of ownership can invalidate any recommendation, not necessarily but another potential hiccough.

I try not to recommend places these days as you can bet your life by the time a friend visits there will have been a change of hands or chef and the whole thing will be spoiled.

We have a few "chain" pubs around us. Some good, some mediocre and a couple downright rubbish on the catering front. You have to travel towards Nottingham to get the better ones .We found a real good one a few weeks ago but not being too well versed in what makes a good pub restaurant we try not to go over board about it. :-\

I try not to recommend places these days as you can bet your life by the time a friend visits there will have been a change of hands or chef and the whole thing will be spoiled.

That is a real problem which is why I did not name names ....

I think for a good old English meal ie: roast dinners with yorky pudds and such you usually get a good dinner at a carvery, like Tobys or Harvisters.

Earlier posts mentioned Garden Centres for good meals. Some years ago we took a 5 day holiday with a local coach firm .On the way back up the M5 he said he knew a good place to take a break( actually north of Bristol more toward the Gloucester turnoff) He overshot the place and had to divert back, we all chanted "" It had better be good"". Anyway it was above average but nothing special and it was only later when someone complained to the company,we learned that he got a discount from the centre. ;)

Another mention was Sushi, the whole thought of raw fish has always turned me off. My daughter pointed out to me though at a restaurant meal that the smoked fish risotto that I was enjoying, the fish was essentially raw even though it was smoked!I still dont fancy sushi!! :-\

I had sushi once. Didn't really taste of anything. Maybe I just had a boring bit.

Earlier posts mentioned Garden Centres for good meals. Some years ago we took a 5 day holiday with a local coach firm .On the way back up the M5 he said he knew a good place to take a break( actually north of Bristol more toward the Gloucester turnoff) He overshot the place and had to divert back, we all chanted "" It had better be good"". Anyway it was above average but nothing special and it was only later when someone complained to the company,we learned that he got a discount from the centre. ;)

Coach drivers are good at that!

Coach drivers are good at that!

My wife and I travel a lot and we always go with a group organized by the travel agency. This happens all the time before we enter a place to eat or just look around and buy something. Our leader would go in first leaving us on the coach. If the place gives him something or a free email he will take us in. Not much you can do about it.

Back