Cafe,the First time I have spotted this

There are some Holmfirth locals on LOTSW Facebook page we could ask also.

Good thinking! Although I have a Facebook page, I almost never go there and have never looked at the LOTSW page, so if anyone makes contact with the Holmfirth locals there about the disappearing lean-to, I hope he or she will pass the info along here.

Marianna

I find it really interesting that the structure was at one time two stories high and was obviously then changed to the height of the lean-to. Really makes you curious as to what it was used for. On the picture from Google it looks like there might have been a door going from Sid's Café into the lean-to at ground level at one time. But the picture is not clear enough to be sure.

Good thinking! Although I have a Facebook page, I almost never go there and have never looked at the LOTSW page, so if anyone makes contact with the Holmfirth locals there about the disappearing lean-to, I hope he or she will pass the info along here.

Marianna

I may get sometime this weekend to check them out. Pearl, hey if you see this........ a bit of help!!!! I know one woman who is from there , but lives somewhere else. She told us about the big tree that is in the background on top of a hill, I want to say it is seen from Wesley's garage???? unsure though anyway. She said that the tree was around when her father was young and they called it dads tree. The conversation was something to that effect. Will keep you posted.

I find it really interesting that the structure was at one time two stories high and was obviously then changed to the height of the lean-to. Really makes you curious as to what it was used for. On the picture from Google it looks like there might have been a door going from Sid's Café into the lean-to at ground level at one time. But the picture is not clear enough to be sure.

I'll check it out when I'm there at the end of September. The floor of the café is lower than the surface of the passageway and presumably lower than floor level in the lean-to by the total rise of the steps next to the café, so there would have had to have been steps either inside the lean-to or inside the cafe. The run of the stairs probably would have taken up the nearly entire depth of the lean-to or would have impinged severely on the very tight space in the chippie/paint warehouse.

Has anyone noticed if the lean-to had been demolished by the time the cafe space became an actual cafe? That probably happened just before the episode in which Ivy and Nora painted the exterior and interior white and generally dressed the place up.

Marianna

And just to take this "what-the-heck-is-it?" theme a little further......what the heck are the 2 cement pillars in the middle of the walkway behind the cafe? I was looking through some pictures that I have saved over the years and see they are obviously there today (see attached picture).

• It looks like they could be supports for a gate? But why there and only half of the walkway?
  • Are they hitching posts for horses?

They appear to have no function today, so there must be some historical significance to them otherwise they would have been removed when they repaired the flagstones and the steps.

Marianna, maybe you can include these in your questions for next fall.

Attachments

• Cafe Back Passage.jpg
    Cafe Back Passage.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 9
And just to take this "what-the-heck-is-it?" theme a little further......what the heck are the 2 cement pillars in the middle of the walkway behind the cafe? I was looking through some pictures that I have saved over the years and see they are obviously there today (see attached picture).

• It looks like they could be supports for a gate? But why there and only half of the walkway?
  • Are they hitching posts for horses?

They appear to have no function today, so there must be some historical significance to them otherwise they would have been removed when they repaired the flagstones and the steps.

Marianna, maybe you can include these in your questions for next fall.

People drive into that area off South Lane and park their cars. I've always assumed that the bollards were to prevent them from overshooting and crashing down the steps.

Marianna

Has anyone noticed if the lean-to had been demolished by the time the cafe space became an actual cafe? That probably happened just before the episode in which Ivy and Nora painted the exterior and interior white and generally dressed the place up.

Marianna
The café was remodeled in a "Bicycle Made for Three" - aired January 25, 1982.
In "Serenade for Tight Jeans and Metal Detector" - aired February 8, 1982, the lean-to is still there.
In "Arts of Concealment" - aired March 6, 1983, the lean-to is gone and the flagstones and steps repaired.

The café was remodeled in a "Bicycle Made for Three" - aired January 25, 1982.
In "Serenade for Tight Jeans and Metal Detector" - aired February 8, 1982, the lean-to is still there.
In "Arts of Concealment" - aired March 6, 1983, the lean-to is gone and the flagstones and steps repaired.

So there was no correlation between the transformation of the paint warehouse into an actual café and the demolition of the lean-to. And perhaps there was also no correlation between the function of the warehouse/café space and that of the lean-to. The latter is pure speculation, of course.

Marianna

Back