Coastal Resort

amos hames

Dedicated Member
With temperatures hitting 31 degrees here in kent its time to vist the seaside.Where is your favourite coastal resort.Mine is Hastings in sussex or Eastbourne.But i also Love Scarborough and Whitby.Your favourite coastal resort please.

Aberdaron, on the Llyn peninsular, North Wales. Also Aberaeron, but I'd really like to visit anywhere on the east coast of England. I love the idea of Aldeburgh, where Benjamin Britten lived.

I live in South Shields -a seaside town on the north east coast.You tend to take it for granted when you live by the sea 24-7.

I just Google Earthed South Shields. Thats exactly what I mean. An eastern seaboard. Brilliant. I envy you, George.

Very tricky - have wondered whether to respond.

Our semi-local resorts take some beating - from Lower Largo (Robinson Crusoe) to Crail in Fife, particularly Elie. And then there is St Andrews.

But I must confess the seashores I have loved best are in Florida, thinking of Indian Shores on the Gulf Coast just above St Petersburg. and on the Atlantic coast I have really enjoyed Cape Canaveral and Cape Kennedy.

ST IVES in CORNWALL.
WELLS NEXT THE SEA in NORFOLK
SCARBOROUGH /WHITBY in YORKSHIRE
DAWLISH in DEVON

Pretty much anywhere really SKEGNESS/ MABLETHORPE as a last resort (if you'll pardon the pun ;D ;D)

Dick I like your style Wells Next to the sea is lovely, I have been there myself and loved it.

I like anything with sea and sand Chapel St Leonard's is nice so is Skye, but my favourite place is the same has George South Shields. I have great memory's of searching for jet with my grandad.

Didn't think about going foreign with my answer. If so I'd chose a small town called Camiore near Viareggio in Tuscany. It's quiet, not very touristy and has some of the best food ever.

I thought about Scarborough but as much as anything else that would have been on account of that other great writer, Alan Ayckbourn.

Dick I like your style Wells Next to the sea is lovely, I have been there myself and loved it.

I like anything with sea and sand Chapel St Leonard's is nice so is Skye, but my favourite place is the same has George South Shields. I have great memory's of searching for jet with my grandad.
Chapel St Fall Asleep as a young friend of mine with memories of quiet holidays with her parents used to put it!! :D

Wow, it´s been 31 degrees here too for the last few days. Sadly I have never been to any seaside in England, but I´m very curious about Cornwall, Scarborough and Leigh on Sea. My favourite seaside place in Germany would be Warnemünde at the Baltic shore I think, I haven´t been to the sea here very often either.

I too love South Shields, George. But it is rather far to travel for me these days, so I would go down to Hayling Island, or Eastbourne.

Do you live far inland, ****? I'm really lucky where I live. 20 minutes south is Aberavon beach, thats a huge expanse of sweeping shore which curves right around past Swansea to the Mumbles. It's a beautiful place in this weather, (as long as you can avoid all the children!) Also about 40 minutes north I can be in the Brecon Beacons. Now that the industry in this area has mostly been shut down the countryside is much cleaner. The economic effect is a bit of a wallop, but it was always on the cards.

As I live in Norfolk I am biased towards the East Coast lovely sand around most of them. Having said that Suffolk boasts some nice shorelines noteably Southwold and Alborough

Do you live far inland, ****? I'm really lucky where I live. 20 minutes south is Aberavon beach, thats a huge expanse of sweeping shore which curves right around past Swansea to the Mumbles. It's a beautiful place in this weather, (as long as you can avoid all the children!) Also about 40 minutes north I can be in the Brecon Beacons. Now that the industry in this area has mostly been shut down the countryside is much cleaner. The economic effect is a bit of a wallop, but it was always on the cards.

Lovely! Yes, I live far inland, I suspect you just can´t live as far from the sea when you are in England, there is always a coast somewhere. I´m between Cologne and Düsseldorf, and actually it´s nearer to the Dutch coast than to the German coast, and the Baltic is even further away which is such a pity.

Well here we are mid way between West Coast and East Coast - about 60 miles to Morecambe in one direction, 70 miles to Scarborough in the other. Traditionally from Bradford westwards you went to Morecambe (aka as Bradford-by-the-Sea) and if you were in Leeds eastwards it was Scarborough.

Where I live still has a direct rail service to Morecambe, although the station there is a bus shelter in a car park - the original building nearer the front is an arts centre.

At work this week we had to go Aberavon. The ladies and gents wanted to see the new batman film, so we thought we'd take them to the one closest to the beach. (It's actually 50 yards from the sand) We had a picnic down there first before the movie. For a coastal resort it doesn't have much going for it. Only one coffee shop, one ice cream place and one chippie. But there were hundreds of families there. Thankfully all on the beach, not visiting the cinema!

My favourite - always liked Brighton, but that was near where I grew up and still like Torquay as there is the terrific train route right along the coast at Dawlish. However, as I nearly always go by train less keen as you now have to change at Newton Abbott and get into a cattle truck train. Miss the old Devonian (Bradford- Paington) straight through.

My favourite - always liked Brighton, but that was near where I grew up and still like Torquay as there is the terrific train route right along the coast at Dawlish. However, as I nearly always go by train less keen as you now have to change at Newton Abbott and get into a cattle truck train. Miss the old Devonian (Bradford- Paington) straight through.

That takes me back. Fascinating route - Paignton to Bradford. Not sure which direction was Up and which Down but I recall seeing northbound train frequently at Taunton in the mid fifties. It was a regular turn for Newton Abbot based Brittania 70022 Tornado.

Makes me think a bit of the A38 with its peculiar end points, Bodmin, Cornwall and Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.

Back