Discussing modern life

The early episodes are pretty "modern" in the context of when they aired with a lot of references that made sense to audiences then that we don't have any reference for. Even Google hasn't come up with answers to some of the names that are dropped. "Summerwineland" came later and Clarke (according to Bell's book) didn't really like that. Bell and Clarke apparently lobbied in later years for a later timeslot and there were a lot more modern references, as noted. Who knows if that would have worked, but it does seem like the show survived as long as it did because for awhile the BBC liked to use it as an example of their "family" content whenever anyone would complain about something else they were doing.

You could only see it in the dark, it was LED technology, so it would also eat batteries, it was not long before they changed to LCD,but they early ones were also hard to see in bright light, and at night they had a backlight so you could see the time

I had one of those in the 70s when they first came out. Useless in the outdoors, yes. I was a sixth grader, wore it to school, EVERYONE wanted to press the button to light the numbers (and kill the battery).

I bought a Tokyo Flash Binary watch some years ago at Alicante airport after a rather heavy boozy last night with friends think it was about 40 Euros [about £25] . The picture here is similar but this is an upmarket metal case mine was black plastic , I used it once . People ask you the time and it takes 5 minutes to answer. Not the best £25 I spent. I still have it and battery still going but never wear it.

watch.jpg

I had a digital watch in the mid ‘70’s. It had a dark purple screen and it displayed the time when you pressed the side button. Time/ date/ seconds and stop watch only.

OK, many years later. So has technology in all of its forms made a dent in Holmfirth and its environs these days? Do kids walk around with their eyes firmly glued to their smartphones (mobiles)? Do people sit in the coffee shops, each with a laptop open? Do people run out and get the latest smartphone (mobile) as soon as it comes out? And do the grandparents rely heavily on their grandchildren, no matter how young, to help them navigate their laptops, smartphones, etc.? Or does Holmfirth and the surrounding communities perk along in a good old fashion way?

I had a few Casio digital watches in the very early Eighties, so the technology must have developed very quickly

I bought a digital watch/calendar in the late 70s and haven't known the date since! That watch was solar powered, too. It's weakness lay in its lack of a moisture seal, so I couldn't wear it for jogging. The watch display would shut off as soon as I began to work up a sweat, and wouldn't turn back on until the watch had spent a couple of hours drying.

I’m curious about life around Holmfirth, too, and how much technology has made a difference in the scenes of daily life. Is laundry still hung out to dry? Are stores closing because of internet shopping? Is it now more difficult to live there without a car?

And, on the show, they often took naps on the grass without concern for ticks and Lyme disease, but I wonder if that has changed these days.

And, on the show, they often took naps on the grass without concern for ticks and Lyme disease, but I wonder if that has changed these days.

Did that once. Had chiggers in most every place for a week. Learned me good not to do that again!

I’m curious about life around Holmfirth, too, and how much technology has made a difference in the scenes of daily life. Is laundry still hung out to dry? Are stores closing because of internet shopping? Is it now more difficult to live there without a car?

Somebody posted photos from a recent visit to Holmfirth and there was laundry on the line in at least one of those photos. It was out in front of the house they used later for Clegg, Howard, etc.

I live in a small town and laundry on the line is a very rare sight. Nobody hand washes their clothes anymore and I guess if you can afford a washing machine, you can afford a dryer and afford to run them both. If you can't afford the washing machine, you go to a laundromat. And yet, the store I work in still stocks and sells clotheslines and pegs so there must still be demand. My guess is maybe people way out still put clothes on a line.

Somebody posted photos from a recent visit to Holmfirth and there was laundry on the line in at least one of those photos. It was out in front of the house they used later for Clegg, Howard, etc.

I live in a small town and laundry on the line is a very rare sight. Nobody hand washes their clothes anymore and I guess if you can afford a washing machine, you can afford a dryer and afford to run them both. If you can't afford the washing machine, you go to a laundromat. And yet, the store I work in still stocks and sells clotheslines and pegs so there must still be demand. My guess is maybe people way out still put clothes on a line.
I live in a townhouse with an HOA and like many recently built subdivisions here in the Washington DC suburbs and for that matter in many areas in this country, clothes lines are not permitted. Very sad.

Back