For train buffs

The photographer's name in the upper left corner is difficult to read. It's Joe Scaglione III. He's a professional photographer and digital artist in Ithaca, NY. I've never met him, but he's a friend of a friend.

This is near my home, a bit east of here. My area got only about 2 feet of snow in that storm.

In the '60's, my family and I were on a summer vacation in upstate New York or somewhere up there. As a note, anything north of New York City or Long Island is commonly known as upstate New York. And we saw railroad snowplows. They were dark green solid metal with a giant snowplow attached to a solid metal frame that was about 20 feet long. I assume that they were put on the front of the engine.

A lot of the Heritage Rail Project have winter lights trains but not as decorative as the one Marianna posted . I imagine, alongside Santa Express runs, it puts much needed money in their coffers which can only be a good thing keeps these wonderful institutions running.

Last edited:
Heritage railways work on the same principles as most provincial theatres whereby the Christmas events (or pantos) subsidise their running for the rest of the year. I know that's the case with the Severn Valley which is local to me.

Oh my giddy aunt that was awesome to watch. Absolutely made my day. I'm no train spotter but if no one is impressed by that I can't imagine why. What a brilliant post. Love, love. Love, love, love it

I dread to think how much money they are spending on reinforcing that short span ( £80 million for 400 meters) of sea wall at Dawlish, and there is more that will need doing in the future, the West Country is completely cut off when it breaches and for many years there has been talk of a diversion route, which no doubt will have to be done at some point with coastal erosion, yet the cost will be far higher when they do get around to building a diversion route.

Back