Gentle Comedies

However I do think she has a passing resplendence to Her Majesty. Hyacinth would be proud.....

Don't forget to doff your cap and tug your forelock towards Hyacinth as you say that. ;)

I recall seeing Patricia in a making of type documentary long ago. See came across as a very sweet, down to earth type person. Someone you could really enjoy visiting with. Completely opposite of her Hyacinth character.

Don't forget to doff your cap and tug your forelock towards Hyacinth as you say that. ;)

I recall seeing Patricia in a making of type documentary long ago. See came across as a very sweet, down to earth type person. Someone you could really enjoy visiting with. Completely opposite of her Hyacinth character.
It would take a great actress to change from Hyacinth to normal :) She was so awesome in that character... as was poor Richard...

BBC has been re-running a series featuring all the comedies of Perry and Croft on a Saturday night episode 3 aired on Saturday but all three so far are on BBC Iplayer and I would urge you to watch as they give you a wonderful insight into how they came up with the ideas and filmed them . Its a great trip down memory lane because you get the show footage, actual filming and historical footage from the various eras . In episode 3 shows them being interviewed on Russel Harty with Ruth Madoc amongst other clips and memories.

There is a wonderful clip of Yvonne and Barrie Stuart Hargreaves and there wonderful ascerbic exchanges. Three of the yellowcoats are sunbathing and have undone their bikini tops Yvonne shows her disdain and asks Barrie what would he say if she did anything like that he replies it would be the first time two walnuts have been used to crack a sledgehammer , priceless :)

Drama channel are showing Brush Strokes which is a reasonably gentle comedy considering that the main character is a womaniser.
I've watched a few of these for the first time on Drama (I love that channel btw!) I enjoy them, again another comedy which wouldn't be produced today !!! I

There was some sort of Comedy tribute on BBC 4 last night [or they are running short of material] and they have started to show Yes Minister and the Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin both from the first episode . I had forgotten the quality both exude and it was great to see them . It was followed by a documentary about 60 years of Comedy and featured some of the questionable shows from PC perspective trying to explain why they were made and aired including Love Thy Neighbour , Til Death Do us Part and frankly the truly awful and extremely controversial Curry and Chips which starred two of the comedy greats Eric Sykes and Spike Milligan . I just don't know what they were thinking of by writing it let alone making it . That aside it was a very enjoyable watch.

Another gentle show was "All Creatures Great and Small" which took place in real life, just over the hill or two from Holmfirth and is about the trials of tribulations of vets in the '30's and 40's. It is a lovely show and faithfully follows the books. Since it is located in Yorkshire, there is the same gentle humor that is found in LOTSW. As a note, many of the outdoor scenes were shot in and around the very town that this story took place in.

However, PBS has come up with a remake and has changed everything. Nothing in this remade version even faintly resembles the original. The characters are no longer gentle, the actors strain to get the accent correct, and the events are changed around to tell a different and much harsher story. A bitter horse pill to swallow.

I quite liked the recent remake although the original cast was brilliant and it was a very hard act to follow. We go camping around the areas where it was filmed in North Yorkshire, absolutely stunning area. Hoping to go back later this year.
EBDF83A4-DF7A-4F44-93CB-82BAEFDFFBCC.jpeg8C03316B-3AEB-4954-A797-CFD54A5020BB.jpeg

Is the second picture Grassington Ferret? I have been there a few times but that part doesn't seem familiar , got as far as the Folk Museum and a couple of pubs nearby .

Is the second picture Grassington Ferret? I have been there a few times but that part doesn't seem familiar , got as far as the Folk Museum and a couple of pubs nearby .
It’s Hawes Captain. We usually go up to the Lakes ,Kirby Lonsdale then through Ribbleshead, Hawes then onto Leyburn. Lovely roads to drive along.

Thanks Ferret I have been there a couple of times with National Holidays Coaches don't remember that bit went to Ribblehead Viaduct and then on to Hawes accompanied by the driver telling us the story of the Pendle Witches. Think this is a photo I took at the time but not sure , can you confirm please , thanks.

hawes2.jpg

Back