Great Steam Engine in action photograph

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
1377323_676265102384260_794423890_n_zpsaf4e7eb4.jpg

It is a phrase Beth with connections to American Skittles, it was a situation where the skittles were left with 1 at each corner of a triangle shape. This was likened to a three cornered hat ( a cocked hat) , it was reasoned that you could not win the match with such a configuration i.e. you could only knock 1 or 2 down not all three. This was taken up in other competition including boxing . It came to mean you were beaten and could not win. So my usage of the phrase was meant to mean that the diesel engine could not come even close to a steam loco in its full glory. :eek: :D

It is a phrase Beth with connections to American Skittles, it was a situation where the skittles were left with 1 at each corner of a triangle shape. This was likened to a three cornered hat ( a cocked hat) , it was reasoned that you could not win the match with such a configuration i.e. you could only knock 1 or 2 down not all three. This was taken up in other competition including boxing . It came to mean you were beaten and could not win. So my usage of the phrase was meant to mean that the diesel engine could not come even close to a steam loco in its full glory. :eek: :D
I get the general meaning, but the term "American skittles" is confusing. I don't know what skittles are except that it is a candy my kids loved. ha ha. I doubt you meant a piece of candy at each corner. I know I'm being a pest but I can't look it up on Google with my computer broke. I'm very limited on my phone.
::)

I get the general meaning, but the term "American skittles" is confusing. I don't know what skittles are except that it is a candy my kids loved. ha ha. I doubt you meant a piece of candy at each corner. I know I'm being a pest but I can't look it up on Google with my computer broke. I'm very limited on my phone.
::)
I think in America you refer it as just Bowling (as in ten pin bowling) Skittles are what we call the pins.:)

Great Photo!!! There is an episode of Top Gear that is supposed to be based in 1947 where Jeremy, Richard, and James race each other. I can't remember from where to where, but they raced a 47 Vincent Black Shadow motorbike, 47 Jaguar, and an old steam engine (don't know the maker) to see which,at the time they were in production, would win. I love that episode, I won't give you who wins, in case you want to watch it for yourself. I really liked watching that one.

That is a great shot unc.

Agree - how any one can be emotive about a diesel locomotive beats me - but some are so enthused.

Where was the shot taken Big U?

On the north bank of the Forth estuary very near a highly historic village, Culross in Fife.
Engine, to be comprehensive, is a preserved rebuilt Royal Scot Class (ex London Midland Railway), 45115, Scots Guardsman, which has Network Rail mainline running authorisation.
Photograph, I have just checked with my buddy who took it, was taken in April 2012. 46115 was hauling the Scottish Railway Preservation Society (SRPS, based in Bo'ness, West Lothian) Fife Circle Railtour which had two runs in the day. Morning train starts in Linlithgow on the Glasgow Edinburgh main line, heads east towards Edinburgh and branches off to cross the Forth Bridge into Fife. It runs the Fife circle, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Cowdenbeath, Dunfermline, where it switches to what was a goods only line used by coal trains to run to Longannet Power station. Now those coal trains reach Longannet from the other direction on the reinstated line through Alloa and Kincardine. So the Dunfermline to Longannet section is now only used for excursions but there is talk of opening it up to passenger traffic which will give Fife a direst link to Stirling.
On that disused line the train stops to water from a fire hydrant in village of New Mills, again on the north bank of the Forth estuary. This photograph was taken as the train was pulling away from that water stop so it was pulling hard to accelerate. From New Mills and Culross the train passes Longannet Power station, Kincardine and Alloa where it is back on passenger lines. It runs through Stirling and Falkirk back to Linlithgow.
I think the photograph was taken on the afternoon run which has the same route except at the end it crosses back over the Forth Bridge and terminates at Inverkeithing in Fife.

Great Photo!!! There is an episode of Top Gear that is supposed to be based in 1947 where Jeremy, Richard, and James race each other. I can't remember from where to where, but they raced a 47 Vincent Black Shadow motorbike, 47 Jaguar, and an old steam engine (don't know the maker) to see which,at the time they were in production, would win. I love that episode, I won't give you who wins, in case you want to watch it for yourself. I really liked watching that one.

LNER A1 Class Pacific 60163 Tornado. Strictly speaking, not an old engine. Tornado is essentially a replica built recently to the LNER specification. The last A1 built (actually in BR days) was 60162.

LNER A1 Class Pacific 60163 Tornado. Strictly speaking, not an old engine. Tornado is essentially a replica built recently to the LNER specification. The last A1 built (actually in BR days) was 60162.

I didn't know that, so it wasn't as old as the other vehicles? It sure was a nice locomotive though. We have a train pass near our house(with in a 2 miles) at night about the time we are going to bed. I normally take the dog out then and I love to hear it blowing the horn as it passes by the crossing. Love that sound.

Thank you Dick and Big Unc and Yorkshire Pudding! Dick you did not muddle it at all. Skittles is the word not used here. Yes Yorkshire I know bowling. It is probably close to what we call a pin split except thereis only 2 pins. (Skittles) and with that I understand the phrase. Thanks for your help!
:) :) :)

Back