Heat Wave

howardandmarina

Dedicated Member
it seems England is experiencing a heat wave this week. My friend who lives in Las Vegas has experienced 117F temps this week (although very low humidity.) Do most new builds in England have air conditioning installed now, or does this happen rarely so as not to need it? I am lucky to live in a more moderate climate (Ohio) but we see 90F for about a week a year. I would be lost without my air conditioner I am afraid. :) Would love to hear what is like in all places!

Most new cars in the UK are fitted with climate control/air con....But i don't think many homes over here have it due to it not really being needed for more than two or three weeks in any year...In our home we just tend to use electric fans that we drag out from the cupboard. :)

Arriva buses in the west kent area of England seem to like keeping their heaters on full during this hot spell. WHY .

We now have Arriva buses in Malta and couldn't be happier as they have a/c. The only problem is that it is costly to run and many drivers are told to turn them off. So on a long bus trip it cam be Hell.

My daughter has just bought a new build and and no, no air con, its been constructed with the sole purpose of keeping heat in ::) So at the moment its very hot in the house.

Our version of a heat wave is probably your idea of a mild winter ;D ;D

I invested in a air con unit for the home just after we moved here,being a timber building with lots of large glass windows on a day like yesterday it can reach 35c in the living room, it is a fitted unit piped to the outside heat exchanger,cost around 10p per hour to run in either cooling or heat mode,we had to shop around as the first few quotes we had were over £3000 in the end I found a small company that had fitted units to other homes nearby over the last few years and it was under £1000 fitted,so it serves us well to keep cool around 4-6 weeks a year,plus it helps on a really cold morning to quickly warm the place while the central heating kicks in, if we know it is going to be a hot day we set the timer to set the unit cooling from 8am so two large rooms of the home are a comfortable 20c all day

My daughter has just bought a new build and and no, no air con, its been constructed with the sole purpose of keeping heat in ::) So at the moment its very hot in the house.

Our version of a heat wave is probably your idea of a mild winter ;D ;D

Very true. Right now it is very hot but to our surprise there is a nice breeze. I don't mind the heat but when it is humid it kills my legs. The wicked Arthritis doesn't like me. Mind you I am only about a 5 minute walk tom the beach. But on hot summer days the sea gets too warm and uncomfortable.

I have RA so I know the feeling, the heat drives me nuts and by the end of the day my fingers won't work. I love the beach and wish we lived closer to one, your very lucky. If you go to the beach today have an ice-cream for me please ;D

Our air conditioning comprises of french windows in the lounge and dining room, which are wide open today.
I am sitting on the couch about three feet from the doors, and it's bliss. I shall miss this when we move out, in the next few weeks.

I've been sat mostly inside for the last two days with the doors wide open.The heat aggravates my breathing ,the cold is the same but I'd sooner live in Britain than anywhere else, peferably closer to a beach like you Susan but hey ho cant have everything.Anyone ever thought that its this warm weather thats making the plants grow well in front of the webcam?? ;) :D

I've been sat mostly inside for the last two days with the doors wide open.The heat aggravates my breathing ,the cold is the same but I'd sooner live in Britain than anywhere else, peferably closer to a beach like you Susan but hey ho cant have everything.Anyone ever thought that its this warm weather thats making the plants grow well in front of the webcam?? ;) :D

I think Amos is going there soon we'll ask him to take some shears :D

This heat is driving me sane!! According to all best advice ( govt and docs) people in my position are supposed to stay indoors with plenty of drinks. How do you equate this in a house that is geared to keeping the heat in?? I have loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and also double glazing. My fans are working overtime, the kitchen extractor too and I have most of the windows open. :p :p

Despite geographically in the Northeast, Washington DC area is a low elevated marsh land. It is 97-98 plus the humidity making it feel like 105-110. Fortunately I am a morning person and have been doing the yard work in the mornings and then stay indoors after my cool shower.

Clarke reference- unlike Richard Bucket, I like yard work so I don't need to make any effort to make it look like I enjoy it and not just do it because I can't afford a gardener!

I was 110 degrees when I visited Las Vegas a while back. I just found shade a drank A LOT of water!

I don't think our idea of a heatwave is the same else where in the world but we re not used to it. Dick I sympathis with you its driving me crazy too, I've even brought the kids in now because its too hot.

According to MSN the threat level has moved up a notch.Yesterday MSN were quoting in the 700s for deaths brought about by excess heat.That includes the people who jump into rivers etc to cool off! :eek: On a much lighter note, I've yet to see anyone in a sharks tooth dangler ;D

Here in North Carolina it's been in the low- to mid-90s
with really really high humididity. At night it gets
down to the mid 70's at best. Thanks be that we
have AC in the cars, and central air in the house.

Although yesterday afternoon the power company
cut the juice to our AC compressors for an hour of
so to save electricity. House started to warm a bit,
but not real bad.

chuck

I just got home from outside of Buffalo New York, helping my elderly aunt out. No air-conditioning there and about 92 degrees with a heat index of about 96 degrees. A little warmer here in Ohio today (no lake close enough to drop the temp.) but thankfully relief coming tomorrow. I am ready for autumn already. :) :)

Just had this same conversion on Facebook with an American friend, we know you have it worse but we wouldn't be British if we didn't moan about the weather ;D :D

I just got home from outside of Buffalo New York, helping my elderly aunt out. No air-conditioning there and about 92 degrees with a heat index of about 96 degrees. A little warmer here in Ohio today (no lake close enough to drop the temp.) but thankfully relief coming tomorrow. I am ready for autumn already. :) :)
Being from Indiana we pretty much get the same weather. My a/c does not work on my car and by the time I arrived home I was soak and wet. Ugh.

Back