Jane Freeman and the Cafe

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I have been active over the last couple of months here, during my school break, but that will be ending soon. I will likely be quite tied up as of the second half of this month. However, I wanted to get one thread in that has been on the back of my mind for a while.

I have also been watching Summer Wine regularly viewing Series 6-9 (yes a great era) and Series 26-28 this summer. Each time I watch a running of Summer Wine I come away enjoying a different aspect of the show.

One constant setting that has added so much to Summer Wine over the years was the Cafe. Specifically, the Cafe has had great scenes from the very beginning to the very end of Summer Wine. Having said this, I don't think Jane Freeman ever gets enough credit for the work she put into the show. Characters like Clegg, Sid, Wally, Foggy, Seymour, etc. have gotten a lot of credit here over the years (and rightfully so) but it is a bit unfortunate that Ivy, who was in Summer Wine from series 1-31 gets very little mention.

I remember commenting a while back how the Hobbo years, although they weren't the best, were helped tremendously by Ivy and the Cafe. She had really good moments with Hobbo. Series 30 and 31 were so drastically different from the other years, but I think Ivy's presence helped keep the show good (not great, but good). Having recently viewed series 8 and 9, I appreciate her moments with Crusher more than before as well.

So I don't really have any questions with this thread, it is just a reflection.

I agree that Jane Freeman does not get the credit that Peter Sallis gets being in all of the seasons. she is an important character in the show, especially when Sid was alive. They were the main married couple, given more airtime than Nora and Wally. I don't think that she got the praise that she deserves. She kept everyone in line when they came into the cafe, set them straight when doing wrong and sometimes, setting them in their seat. To add, she is one of the two last survivors of the show. I hope she gets the credit she deserves, equal to Peter (Clegg).

To Ivy! Cheers!:respect:

Absolutely 100% agree with you Cod, I loved her to bits. She, for the most part, ran the cafe alone after Sid died save for the help of Crusher, can we call that help? Nora of course helped now and then but mainly it was Ivy. The cafe was always clean and she never seemed to run out of food so I think she did an amazing job.

I agree that Jane Freeman`s role in the show (or Ivy`s perhaps) is overlooked by some. She played the character in such a sturdy way that she became a good solid unit to bounce the other characters` stupidity off.

The cafe was a very useful meeting place for the characters and could actually have been used even more in the later years imo. When they were constantly bringing new characters in, they could have brought in an assistant for Ivy (maybe another Crusher knockoff played by an Adrian Hood type actor).

I agree that Jane Freeman`s role in the show (or Ivy`s perhaps) is overlooked by some. She played the character in such a sturdy way that she became a good solid unit to bounce the other characters` stupidity off.

The cafe was a very useful meeting place for the characters and could actually have been used even more in the later years imo. When they were constantly bringing new characters in, they could have brought in an assistant for Ivy (maybe another Crusher knockoff played by an Adrian Hood type actor).

It was never actually mentioned that Crusher had left, he just didn't appear anymore I'm of the opinion that he was still working away for his Auntie Ivy in the back, trying to perfect his steak and kidney pud in the over :)

I could not agree more, I was today watching some of the earlier episodes. Flower power cut and Who made a splash in wales then. It was Sid and Ivy in full flow. I always liked the Sid character and John Comer's acting ability was not fully appreciated. I saw him in a police drama some time ago and he was a totally different persona. More aggressive and violent in comparison to his comedic skills.

I have not seen Jane in much outside of Summer Wine but can appreciate that she has talent and skill that would lend itself to other programmes or films.

I hope she gets more credit for the value added she has created in Summer Wine.

Very good point about Jane Freeman not always getting enough recognition.

Take virtually any VHS video or DVD box. They tend to have a picture of Nora Batty rather than Ivy.

Both similar parts. Both crucial to the show. Both long running appearances.

Not sure I go along totally with sentiments that Jane Freeman, Ivy, merits quite the recognition given to Peter Sallis, but it is certainly close to it.

I do not think it has been mentioned yet but I still maintain that one of the greatest shames perpetrated was that Ivy was not in that last episode.

Yes, indeed, :respect: :respect: :respect: to Ivy

I do not think it has been mentioned yet but I still maintain that one of the greatest shames perpetrated was that Ivy was not in that last episode.

Couldn't agree more, I know she was ill but she could have had a seated position for a few seconds.

Not sure I go along totally with sentiments that Jane Freeman, Ivy, merits quite the recognition given to Peter Sallis, but it is certainly close to it.

No, I don't believe Freeman deserves AS MUCH credit as Sallis for the success of Summer Wine, but DEFINITELY should be acknowledged a lot more than she has been. We are talking ab out very little praise over the years.

Back