Marina's Mother

Marina'sTwin

Dedicated Member
I know this kind of sounds weird, but based on Marina's personality, what do ya'll think her mother was like? I know her mom was mentioned a few times, but she was never shown, so it kind of leaves a lot to speculate about. Like, was Marina's mom really strict and caused Marina to rebel? Or was it more like a "like mother, like daughter" thing? Could Marina's childhood have anything to do with the way she is as an adult? Just something random the think about.

I know this kind of sounds weird, but based on Marina's personality, what do ya'll think her mother was like? I know her mom was mentioned a few times, but she was never shown, so it kind of leaves a lot to speculate about. Like, was Marina's mom really strict and caused Marina to rebel? Or was it more like a "like mother, like daughter" thing? Could Marina's childhood have anything to do with the way she is as an adult? Just something random the think about.
I could imagine her mother being strict. There were a few times when we heard Marina say "mother did warn me this would happen", so maybe she did rebel against her mother's tight rein. I've thought too that maybe the reason she took up with Howard was that she was raised without a dad and she saw him as a father figure. Let's face it, he wasn't much of a lover!

Last edited:
I could imagine her mother being strict. There were a few times when we heard Marina say "mother did warn me this would happen", so maybe she did rebel against her mother's tight rein. I've thought too that maybe the reason she took up with Howard was that she was raised without a dad and she saw him as a father figure. Let's face it, he wasn't much of a lover!

Her being raised without a father is a definite possibility. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't she supposed to be like half Howard's age?

This thread ended up with me off on a tangent, reading online about the Phaedra complex and Freud's theories on sexual desires within families. Don't even go there!???:eek:

This thread ended up with me off on a tangent, reading online about the Phaedra complex and Freud's theories on sexual desires within families. Don't even go there!???:eek:

Interesting! I love discussing theories! Hey, speaking of theories, does anyone have any theories about Marina's dad?

Hey, just thought of something else. Does anyone have any theories about Marina having any stepdads growing up? Maybe something that caused her to be the way she is? I have lots of theories about Marina, but I do like to hear other peoples' opinions first, so post away! :)

Yeah, could you see Marina's mom dressed like Marina, with short skirts, wild colors, but her breast would be down to her knees with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. Flirting with any gentleman friends of Marina's!!:30: LOL. They could have done a story line with her mom. Compo probably had a few weekends visitations with her! OMG That's enough of that!

They could have done a story line with her mom. Compo probably had a few weekends visitations with her!

Which could bring up an interesting point as to who Marina's father actually is. I've toyed with the theory that Marina's father could be a regular character on the show and Compo seems like a likely candidate.

Which could bring up an interesting point as to who Marina's father actually is. I've toyed with the theory that Marina's father could be a regular character on the show and Compo seems like a likely candidate.
Could have been a bit awkward don't you think. He was often found with his head on Marina's blouse.:30:

Could have been a bit awkward don't you think. He was often found with his head on Marina's blouse.:30:

But he might not have known!

In my ancestors family trees there seems to have been a fair bit of children being brought up in a different generation by grandparents because the father was "unknown" or more likely "not mentioned". Both sides of the family had various 'movements'.

However it is also possible that Marina's mother was a devout, church going lady and Marina just rebelled. But I like the first idea of like Mother, like daughter - far better. Some good story lines there!

Without wishing to sound crude but there was a celebrity thing a few years ago about naming children from the place they were conceived - Marina, named not just because of that is where her parents met but the result of a romantic dalliance at a seaside?

Without wishing to sound crude but there was a celebrity thing a few years ago about naming children from the place they were conceived - Marina, named not just because of that is where her parents met but the result of a romantic dalliance at a seaside?

Brooklyn Beckham ?? :wink: :wink:

Interesting subject and thread!

I always have a tough time wrapping my head around the character of Marina. Mainly because the show wasn't consistent in how she was portrayed. That makes figuring out her parentage a bit of a challenge.

The first thing to remember is that the character came from the stage play, where, if I understand correctly, she was presented as a widow rather than as a never married woman. Then, in her early appearances and occasionally after, it comes across as if she's had plenty of experiences in sex and love. But later, and this is the view of her that is presented in the 25th anniversary special (IIRC), there is this suggestion of someone who is willing but still inexperienced. I think this latter view was how the show chose to present her when Summer Wine became viewed as a family show.

So I guess it depend on which Marina we are talking about. ;-)

Back